1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On the terms pro-life and pro-choice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wander, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To get the main point out of the way first, I dislike both of these terms. Each camp uses the terms to insult the other, and they grossly miscategorize the purpose of the other.

If I had to label myself with one or the other, I would fit into the "pro-choice" group. But that does not make me "pro-abortion" or "anti-life". Personally, I would rather there be less abortions. The distribution and availability of contraceptives would drastically reduce the number of accidental pregnancies and abortions, and yes, some people don't want children all the time. Yes, there are people who would like to know when they're going to have a child rather than surprise, you're a parent. I would rather avoid abortion where it can be helped. But that doesn't give me the right to interfere with others' personal choices. I may not like it at all, but that doesn't mean I get to legislate morality for other people.

Please, to the far-right clinic bombers, start recognizing that I simply support a woman's right to chose, I don't jump up and celebrate every time an abortion is given.

2. pirateninja

I think that I think the same way as you. I'm far from "pro abortion" or "anti life" but I do fall on the side of pro choice. I'd prefer everyone had ready access to contraceptives and minimise the need, however, not everyone has that access, or even realise they are pregnant until it's too late. I know if I was in that situation, I'd take the abortion. Not everyone can go through with it, and neither I nor should anyone else force them to. It's putting the welfare of the mother over the welfare of the unborn child. However, I don't agree that it should just be used instead of contraception. No one should just say "Oh well, to hell with a condom, I'll just have an abortion."

Plus, even if abortions were outlawed, people would still have abortions, just not in a safe clinical environment.

3. Dazed

Dazed Guest

i guess im pro-life.
    i didnt use to be until my sister wanted to abort my nephew because she was careless.
    but in the state of Va anyone over 12 weeks cant get an abortion.
    she was 5 months.

i wish i could say if someone got raped and ended up preg i would want them to get an abortion but i cant. i think not eating animals makes me want to fight for things that dont have a voice of their own.

when talking abortion in school a girl told us this quote
    "A man pleaded with GOD. "Dear GOD, why don't you give us someone who can find a cure for cancer and heart disease?"GOD replied, "I did, but you aborted them."

4. starfish

Yes, this is a bit of a sticky wicket.

To be honest honest I think we all can have our opinion on the matter and can pontificate, but until we are actually in this situation we really don't know what we would do.

I am college educated and have a good job with a promising career in front of me. So it would be easy for me to say that I would keep the baby, because I have the resources to provide for it. How ever there are a lot of people that are not in the same place as me. There are people still in school and that are struggling to make ends meet. For them to raise the baby would be very difficult and I can't imagine what it would be like to be in that position. Honestly I don't know how this would fit into my code of morals and ethics. I don't envy anyone that has had to make this decision and I certainly have no right to judge them.

To that end I will always support the right of the woman to make this decision herself.

5. littledinosaurs

I'm Pro-Choice, theres no reason to stop other people from doing what they need to do. Some people really need to get them done and they should have that choice. Considering the fetus to be "a life" is gonna cause so many other new laws to be made. There will be even stricter regulations on what people can who are preggers, and they don't need that. Also outlawing abortions will have about the same affect as outlawing alcohol.

6. Danielle

Danielle Guest

I guess I could be placed into either catergory I personally don't like the idea of abortion and it is a very tragic thing to happen but I believe the government has no right to tell a woman what see can and cannot do with her own body see I guess would be pro-choice.

7. Apocalypte

I live in a country where abortion is illegal, and 5,000 women every year are forced to go abroad at an incredibly vulnerable time in their lives if they want to terminate a pregnancy. It's an "Irish solution" - which is absolutely ridiculous.

I believe in a woman's right to choose what she does with her own body - I am pro-choice, always have been and always will be. However I also believe very firmly in the importance of sex education and the availability of contraception in reducing the number of unwanted pregnancies that happen.

8. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

No.

This is a bad topic. Bad, bad topic.
    I foresee only arguments when an avid "pro-lifer" shows up to disagree.

That being said, I am pro-science.

9. Derek the Wolf

To put my thoughts simply, I think everyone has a right to live, but I don't think it's the right of the state to dictate whether a medical procedure is legal or not.
    So morally I'm pro-life, but considering all things I fall on the pro-choice side more often than not.
    Still, I'm conflicted on the issue.

10. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Arguments are bad? I learn something new every day.

And surprisingly, this website doesn't get too many trolls. All the other controversial minority forums I belong to get at least five new people a month who come only to shout and flood and insult. But we haven't had a single crazed anti-gay save-your-souls member in the whole year that I've been here.

11. This is a touchy subject, so I'll do my best not to offend. I think that abortions are wrong; there are very few circumstances when abortion is the better choice. The "my body, my choice" argument doesn't fly with me, because in my opinion, it's not the woman's body that's at stake; it's another human life. That being said, if the woman's health or life would be at stake otherwise, then abortion is acceptable because to put it bluntly, her life is worth more.

And of course, a ridiculous amount of abortions could be avoided with proper contraception education, availability, and usage. I think that's the way to go about it.

12. epiphanies

I think you can't judge someone else unless you are in their shoes, and every experience is unique. I think it is sad to have an abortion, but I can't deny if I were to become pregnant at this point in my life, I would most likely have an abortion. Contraceptives are not 100%, and things can still go wrong. If someone takes all the right precautions but it still happens, it isn't fair to them to have to keep a child. I think that abortions are okay until the point where the fetus has a chance of surviving in the world. Once they develop all the traits necessary to survive, then they are human. Babies can't survive if they are extremely premature, but if they are a couple weeks, they can. That's how I'd draw the line (I don't know the specific avg week. Used to, but I forgot.)

But anywho, I don't think it's fair to force someone into anything or restrict them. We are all human and none of us are better than anyone else. We don't know who is truly right, and therefore cannot judge or rule over others. Definitely pro-choice.

13. Nixon

pro-choice

14. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Arguments aren't good because they accomplish nothing. It's like watching a tug of war that never ends. It becomes repetitive and the reasonings behind each side become redundant. Arguments are only interesting when one party gives in.

Topics like religion, abortion and even gay-rights are useless to debate. Each side is firmly grounded in their beliefs. There won't be any change. The only thing you can hope is for someone to say, "I know where you are coming from, but I disagree."

Internet-based arguments suck.

15. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pro-choice, but only in the right circumstances. If there will be a developmental issue with the soon-to-be child, I reckon abortions should be allowed, but NOT for women who want to keep their figure or social life or whatever.

16. summersforecast

:eusa_clap

lol i'll be pro-science too

17. Odradek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think it should be legal because if it is made illegal then women could die in unsafe and uncleanly illigal abortions.

18. Zoiek

I'm happy to say I'm "pro-choice", if someone misinterprets that as me hating life then so be it. It's their choice to be ignorant. I'll just attribute their pro-life views to being pro-overpopulation in retaliation if they're not willing to listen to me. It doesn't matter to me, at all.

19. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

I am pro choice.
    But, I think that adoption should always be taken into consideration. There are so many couples that cannot have children, for whatever reason and would do anything for a child. My two younger cousins are adopted I am so glad they are in my life and I know that my aunt and uncle are very blessed for having these children, my aunt had a few miscarriages and it was very hard on them. These two kids have a much better life than if their biological teen aged mothers were to have kept them.
    That being said, I don't think I am a strong enough and self less enough person to carry a child for 9 months and then give it up, even tho I know I'm not in the situation to properly raise a child.

(Sorry, I kind of went off on an adoption rant)

20. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've got to disagree - properly-done arguments can be very educational to both sides, and if nothing else they show where the other guy is coming from. I'm not talking about violent shout-fests, but well constructed debates. And the people here are certainly capable of that.

Anyway, I didn't mean for this to be an abortion debate thread at all, just a place to post my opinion on the terms each group uses to describe the other.