1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I do in life?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Akira12, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm trying to figure out what to go to college for. What hobbies should I learn? What suits me? I honestly can't figure any of that out and I'm sitting in dreadful boredom >_<. Any ideas on how to figure out what to do? This new show leverage its called I've been watching and omg Alec Hardison is simply amazing! I'd love to be able to do that...except I don't understand most of what he says lol. Same with Elliot he's just so freaking amazing! Anyways any ideas on what I could try to figure out what I like? Something to keep me from utter boredom and so on?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Well, let's start with your interests. Is there something that interests you? Do you believe in a cause, is there something that you can get passionate about?

Did you have a favourite subject in high school? Was there a subject that you excelled in?

Sometimes what helps, is to go through different college's websites and have a read through what they are offering. Reading through different possible degrees might give you a starting point. :slight_smile:

3. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

You will not have the topic you study as an occupation. "Biology" can be code for "pig poop inspector's assistant," depending on the college.

Research your college's alumni, and pick a role-model.

4. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a fan of reading fanfictions if that counts as anything lol. No not really. I can get passionate about some tv shows and stuff I've read. No real favorite subject kinds hated school lol. I'm an avid reader and I play some games but not much. Man writing this out I sound like such a boring person lol. I've tried being a beta reader for one author didn't like it all that much. Tried drawing but my drawings suck lol only like stick figures crappy ones. Umm....can't think of much else. Tried writing and posted a story but it's a very crappy one and the only review is from an author I follow and asked if he could give it a read lol. Man I'm boring aren't I?

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't say you are boring. What it comes down to is for you to find something you can connect with, and feel you can run with it. Being an avid reader is a good start. What do you like reading? When it comes to playing games, what do you like about them?

It would be worthwhile to see a career counsellor and complete an aptitude test and see if there is anything that emerges from the results that could give you a starting point. I would still suggest though to start having a read through different programs at your local and/or another college and gauging as to whether there is something that sparks an interest.

6. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks I didnt think about the career counselor lol. I'll try those out xD. Thanks!!

7. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Until you get an appointment with a career counsellor, you can always give this test a try holland-code-career-test - note it's an interest test, doesn't take into account aptitude (such as people who want to be professional singers but can't sing anything on key)

8. Matz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Creative hobbies like writing and art take a long time to really get good at, so if you have fun it's too early to give up. If you don't enjoy them, it's probably good to choose something you at least find interesting either way.

9. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Also, you ought to read the publications of your professors, especially if you are interested in the sciences. You can usually find a list of some of their publications and accomplishments on their websites.

10. Simple Thoughts

What you have to do is figure out what makes you happy.

I spent forever trying to figure out what I wanted to do. I bounced around between science, writing, drawing, and a few other things before I realized that what I want to do is animate.

I've always been a writer. Mostly poetry when I was younger, and then short stories just a year or so ago. The thing is though, I also like to draw ( I'm not good YET ) but I'm getting there and I want to combine my ability as a writer with art and create beautiful stories ^-^

As for you...

Well you just have to find your passion.

So many people get into a career for "The Money" or "the security" and then wind up hating everything about their lives and are just miserable people. I say screw that! If what you love takes more effort than the traditional occupations than you'll just have to buckle down and be ready for the long haul.

But a lot of people actually do really enjoy the well paying and safe jobs. So if you find one of those that lights up your eyes go for it.

11. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Yeah, but just don't go into something just because you like that. Example: I love music, and I really just love practicing on my little cheap Yamaha keyboard, here. It's so relaxing, and it is such a way for me to breathe, emotionally. I don't really have any musical talent, though.

In the end, you're going to be happiest in a job where doing well is just as natural to you as breathing, where you look at people around you struggling to do it well and you think, "How are they not getting this? It's so EASY!" It doesn't even have to be something you like particularly. As long as you don't hate it, you know that a job where you feel capable and like you can do a really good job is going to be a situation where you will never come home and just feel stressed.

If I took up music and tried to do it for a living, though, I would come to hate and despise it because I could never look at it the same way after running up against the brick wall of my own lack of natural aptitude and having to play according to a formula that is not me. It would ruin music for me. My natural rhythm is not much, but it suits me for the sake of letting my mind breathe.

Try tutoring others, actually. If there is a high demand for someone who can teach a particular subject and yet that subject is something you are good at and able to teach, then there is a demand for you that others cannot as easily satisfy.

12. Ste86

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never an easy question to answer even more difficult to answer for yourself. Everyone is good at something in their own creative way it's just finding that thing you excel in. Hobbies and other interests are always a good starting point. That's what I did as well as drawing up a spider chart and I found it helpful doing it that way, good luck.

13. DeJe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't rush yourself. It may take time to figure out where your true career passions lie and you don't want to jump into a career field that you know you won't enjoy, because as others have mentioned, you will be unhappy and back at square one. It took me until I was 25 to find my career passions and almost 10 years later, I'm still building on my initial dreams. A book that helped me was "What Color Is Your Parachute?" - check it out!