1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever Feel Out of Place with Straight Friends

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Manitoban, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Manitoban

Do you guys ever feel a bit out of place when you're hanging out with a group of straight friends?

The other day I was hanging out with about 12 people one female the rest straight guys except one bi and myself(gay). Once the alcohol started flowing the talk about their interests of course. The one girl ended up leaving and they started primarily asking me about what I think a women would like and what not.

I love hanging out with guys and I most have been my friends for years but I felt really out of place there. The fact that I was different was highlighted I guess.(the bi guy was able to avoid that pretty well) And that made me a bit uncomfortable. Which I must say has never really happened to me since coming out a year ago to the same degree.

Anyway do you guys ever feel this way with your straight friends?

2. woahthatsboring

Sort of. I do feel like them in some sense because I do like guys and I'm dating one but it's also this awkward feeling of "I'm lying" because it's sort of like saying I told half the truth and not the whole truth. Which is still bad. I'm not out yet so my friends just think I'm straight and not bisexual so I'm sure your bi friend might've felt a little uncomfortable. You choose to ignore your other side to fit in because it's easier to talk about your hetero attractions rather than your homo ones to others. It's like "Yeah! I like guys!...(but I also like girls). It's like a quick mutter to get it out and even if it is out there no one sadly takes it seriously lol. Or they choose to ignore the "I like girls" part. Because of that, I'm sort of disconnected with my friends even if I can relate with them a little, I am not able to relate fully so I am a misfit. But it's okay, you're unique :slight_smile: and those guys asking if you knew what women like are jerks! You're not a woman so how could you? They're the ignorant ones.

3. MrSkittles

Yes! My group of friends in school always talk about the girls they like ask each other who they like but when I try to say what guy I like they don't care. It frustrates me and makes me feel out of place a lot .

4. Cider

Not really, but probably because I'm bisexual so I can honestly join in their conversations about girls

5. Nekobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes. Defintely. I was hanging out with a bunch of my friends in public the other day and we ended up talking about who we were attracted to out of the people walking past. It made me feel kind of awkward since I'm not out yet. I had to pretend to to rate the men that walked past so I mostly just agreed with what they said.

6. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    VERY awkward and out of place for me.... enthuse about girls then i enthuse about a guy and oooh its suddenly all weird and uncomfortable and then with my friends in my class at college they rate girls and "double tap" their pictures using this app that shows them pictures and since im not out to them i kind of have to do the same as Nekobi does. pretend to rate the girls and agree with what they say. i really need some gay friends i would love that

7. Pie

Pie Guest

Definitely since I'm not out yet. I just act like I don't care when they (make friends) bring the subject of women in the conversation. And I feel like a like when it happens.

8. TheStormInside

Yes, definitely at times. Though I was able to get one uncomfortable situation to go more "my way" by speaking up. The girls were talking about a list of the "100 most attractive men" of the year. I had nothing really to add, and for awhile they just traded back and forth various guys they thought should be on the list, or were on the list that they didn't agree with, and so on. Eventually I said "I just wanna run away with Katniss" and that prompted one friend to look up the 100 most attractive women (which Jennifer Lawrence was definitely on). It helps that that friend is bi, though the rest of my friends are all straight.

9. Hemlock

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Not really. Most of my friends are either LGBT or allies. I'm very grateful for that.

10. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, sometimes. I'm still deeply conflicted and struggling to accept myself and Fraternity brothers at College know and kind of support me, but I've made a pact with most of them to keep their knowledge of it on the downlow until I graduate.

Since I'm bisexual, you know, I am interested in both genders...and when I talk about girls...some of the guys stare at me with a blank, confused look as if my story isn't adding up.

But, no one ever says anything in relation to my bisexuality...unless I bring it up first and then they just assume I'm completely gay and go with that.

One of the guys is also bi, but he's not really helpful. Then some of the other brothers, who I do occasionally talk about my bisexuality with go into like weird politically correct mode.

Most of the time, though, it's been fine and I don't feel out of place. I do feel like I have my sexuality hanging over my head, though. Trusting people to keep a secret is hard.

11. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Of course, one does feel out of place when he's the glitter among the dust... However, for a couple of male friends that I have, I feel more out of luck than I am out of place. They're good people to me, but ultimately I know they're straight, and even if they've never told me about their sexuality, I just assume that they are.

12. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not really, especially since I made most of my friends before coming out. Sometimes I feel more out of place surrounded by gay people since my interests aren't stereotypically gay

13. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is mostly true for me, too.

14. Formality

Well I've never had any gay friends irl, though I always feel out of place with my straight friends. My guy friends are very guyish and I feel malplaced when I'm with them and can have a hard time talking to them. But when I'm with my girl friends, altho I have an easier time talking to them I feel like since they don't know my sexuality they kinda take it like I "wanna be their boyfriend".

15. guitar

I often get viewed as a straight guy so I don't feel particularly out if place. Perhaps at times when the girl talk goes on a while or a joke at the expense of my sexuality is made I can feel out place...

16. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes, yeah, I feel like I can't relate to my straight guy friends, when they start getting on the topic of girls and stuff. For the most part, I fit in with them alright; we have a lot in common. Doesn't matter if I'm looking at a different gender.

17. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The complete opposite, I feel out of place with my gay friends considering I was raised with, mostly, straight friends. My most recently acquired friends in my campus association make me feel out of place.

18. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've only ever had one straight friend, and that was when I was younger. My four closest friends in my life are all within the community.

Though I do feel out of place with straight people in general. Mainly because I live in a area heavily concentrated with conservative Christians. So you never know what their opinions on me might be.

19. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sort of yea.

20. Sarii

Same for me. When I'm with my straight guy friends and they start talking about girls I usually tease them and incorporate myself in the conversation somehow.