1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing my Name

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by xballetxbeautyx, Dec 14, 2008.

1. So for those of you that don't know, my mom is gay also. She's been with her partner for sixteen or seventeen years, and I call them both mom. (We'll call my mom M and her partner J). My sister is J's daughter. I have M's last name and my sis has J's. For a while now, I've been thinking about changing my name to have both of my parents' names, with a hyphen between them.

When I asked M, she said, "Well, I don't know if that's going to happen. We'll see." J was excited and said she was very, very proud of me. I know this is what I want because they're both my mom and I want both of them in my name. Most women change their last name when they get married, so their children have both parents' names, in a way. I want both of mine.

What do you think, EC? Good idea, bad idea? Any thoughts on how to convince M? I really, really want to do this. ~megan~

2. littledinosaurs

I think its a fine idea :slight_smile:

3. I think it's a good idea. One of my friends mother kept her maiden name when she married just because her husbands name was too long and hard for most people to pronounce xD. So my friend has her mother's maiden name as her middle name and her fathers last name as her last name, that's how her parents named her. Just something to consider instead of hyphenation.

4. Hoppip

I think it's a great idea! Do it! I mean, they've been together for ~17 years, I'm pretty sure it's a solid relationship.

Maybe you could talk to M about how it's your decision (your name) and that you want to do it in order to connect the family further. It's all about love! J is your mom too, and you love her enough, so why not?

Good luck! :grin:

5. Amy

Amy

I think that it's a great idea. :slight_smile:

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Only thing I can say is to ditch the hyphen. Hyphenated last names look silly, four names is cool.

7. Dazed

Dazed Guest

thats so sweet...seems like a good idea to me..i would find out if there a reason she dont want you to change your name..the best thing to do is just talk to her about it

8. Dancueorsaurus

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I like the idea of the hyphenation. The only thing is that some kids with divorced parents put a hyphen in between. The questions "Oh are you parents divorced?" and "Who do you live with? Your mom or your dad?" will come up. ((This happened to a friend of mine who has two dads)) Most people in America think of male/female couple and not male/male or female/female. So due to narrow minded-ness of others, expect questions to come up.

Other than that, it's a lovely idea! Sounds like your mother's realationship is going strong! I wish them the best of luck!

9. panda

Good Idea!!!:thumbsup:

10. Derek the Wolf

I think it's a great idea. :grin:

11. Greggers

Ask your mom first to make sure she is also 100% behind it, and make sure the name sounds good :wink: