1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insults That Actually Hurt You

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Taly, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yup. Let's all take down the invulnerability barrier for this one.

__________________ ___________________________________

That'll do.

But anyway - most everyone I know - no matter how tough or resilient they really are as people, really do get their feathers ruffled whenever they hear some specific thing said about them... or some label thrown onto them that they really feel hurt by. I'm not exception to this.

So - if any of you are comfortable saying what really hits you under the belt (or above the stomach if you're a female ;P)

I'll start off.

1) "Narcissist/Attention-Seeker" - This is really something that I don't ever get called, nor am I anything like... The only time I've been called this is when I've had some really toxic people in my life literally try to make me feel like a horrible person. You guys already seen one of my threads: (Is It Honestly Bad To Like Attention?) - So you guys already can see my views on how I could personally take an insult like this.

Also; I HATE society's horrible usage of the term "narcissist" - people don't seem to understand what or how a narcissist works or is created... and I've known my fair share of people who misuse the term and throw it around frivolously as if they don't have a damn clue about what they're talking about - or who they're talking to.

2) "Sociopath" - Yeah. I've met my fair share of them. I know this can go under the same clause as Narcissist - but this deserves its OWN number. Speaking from someone who has been gaslighted by one before.... I'm serious. The only people I've seen make these insults are people who are likely mentally unstable themselves... And hearing labels like this thrown on to me... it is quite damaging. Even though I've grown out of feeling bad on the rare chances I hear this remark from someone anymore, though.

3) "Self-Absorbed" - I do all I can for others. When people only distort to believing the opposite; it hurts my feelings a lot.

4) "Useless" - Because I've actually been told I'm useless... When I was younger; along with being weird - around when I was in elementary/middle school. I don't know... I used to worry a lot about my value to others. I'm not really insecure about this anymore - but if someone I knew walked up to me and said I was useless... I'd feel pretty bad about myself for a few minutes.

Yeah... A lot of insults that bother me are more like things that correlate to mental instability or image-tattering type jabs.

What about you guys?

#1 Taly, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2015
  2. PlatypusBear

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    These are some of the lines people have thrown at me, mostly from work- I shook them off at the time, but cried about it later....

One of my bosses ( tech sgt) overheard me talking to my buddy about this guy i was dating in another unit on base. My boss decided to interject his 2 cents...
    Me to friend - " yeah we've been dating for 6months, he is really awesome and im glad i meet him"
    Boss- *laughter* " ! psh! You dont date boys! Everybody knows that! you're just using him for cover! Please! *Laughter* * Everyone near by laughs*
    Me - *stone face on* " Haha yeah very funny, whatever".

I was so embarrassed and hurt, i cried a crap ton that night...

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

To even be considered 'useless' or 'incapable' drives me up the wall.

Two things I always strive to do:

Never leave a debt unpaid, and to pay it quickly or better.
    Never become a burden, and to have something to contribute.

If you peel me down to my final layer, you will find my irritable spot is being without value.

Rawr, LOL.

Being called/thought 'stupid' is pretty bad, too. And on a lighter note, being 'boring' is a bit of a sting. With 'boring' though, you can usually fix that. It's a very temporary annoyance-driven pain, well, for me.

4. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get called a lot of crap. Things like, "Waste of Skin" or "Fat" don't bother me anymore. But if you want a negative reaction out of me, call me selfish or that I don't care about other people.

I know I don't socialize much with others, and I'm not a selfless saint, but I absolutely treasure the people close to me. I'd chop off a hand if I knew it would help them. But because my overall nature is somewhat abrasive a lot of people think I don't actually care about them at all. I look out for myself, yes. But I look out for my friends too.

5. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oooh, one more thing that gets me.

"Be a man."
    "Don't cry, get over it."
    "Man up."

I will lose my mind if someone says this to me. Do I need to go any further?

6. June Cleaver

A few years ago to hurt me my ex told me "You don't meet my needs, because I need pu--- every day" that sentence he has regretted probably more than anything he ever has done in his life. That hurt me so bad that I ended it right then and we separated that week, but I could not deal with the pain and stayed blasted out of this world for nearly a year day and night after that. Oh he tried the next day after moving out to return home and still nearly two years later tries to contact me. Words can cut deeper than any knife! June

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Yes.

I lose it at:

"You're at the end of your rope. I'ma kick your butt and wash your mouth out with soap."

8. PlatypusBear

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    1. Whats wrong with you?
    2. I'm tired of your drama! I dont have time for you, i have a real job!

On a side note: ^ Kaiser how you get dat Azula gif? Linked it?

9. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The social construct of masculinity and patriarchy can be very emotionally damaging to both men and women. (Something similar could be said for femininity in its own way; but we're on the subject of "be a man.")

When people enforce that I have to abide by a social construct that:
    A) I disagree with
    B) Believe that any context people use the term in is dismissive, harmful, and ignorant
    C) Don't identify with
    D) Feel insulted whenever people bring it up to me as if I can't do or be anything more
    E) Believe that is defies the idea of true equality to all.

It pisses me off more than what people think... And I can be pretty snippy.

10. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When my mom tells me how "awful" or "full of it" I am. I don't think she knows how much it bothers me. She says these things about me when I am angry at her so I feel like I am a monster and I believe her. When other people insult me I rarely ever care.

11. BiKate

"You're a control freak" My ex when I wanted him to take a shower when he was smelly.
    "You're so pathetic and annoying" My ex again when I was depressed and having a bit of a melt down. I won't go in to detail and repeat all the worse stuff he said that night...

"I'm so envious of you, hardly having to do anything or worry about anything, but I could never do that I'd be so bored out of my brains" Said by my best friend a few weeks ago. I wasn't getting many hours at work and had nothing I wanted to study and at the time was feeling a bit useless and like my life was going nowhere. She didn't really help that. Though if someone said it now I'd probably brush it off and not care, I just wasn't in the right place to be hearing it at the time I guess.

12. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anything to the extent of no one being able to love a face like mine. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I think insults like these affect me most because its a factor i have no control over. I can't change how I look, and I can't change the fact that I'm not a great-looking human.

The possibility of meeting someone whom I'm compatible mentally and physically with is small. But not impossible! I try to remember that when when the comments get stuck in my head :slight_smile:

13. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When people call me "bakla" or "bading". In Filipino, "bakla" or "bading" means gay or trans female or male bisexual. Or when people give me female names or female pronouns. It brings me back to the memories where my family and relatives are cross firing me with homophobic statements and trying to ask me if I am "bakla" or not. It's just VERY insulting and very hurtful.

14. MetalRice

The insult that can hurt me the most is "crippled and broken", because of the many health problems I have; it really hurts.

15. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    "You don't care about anyone but yourself" from someone I actually cared and spent a lot of my time worrying about. Well I sure hope he knows now what not caring means.

16. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I maintain there's absolutely nothing people on the internet can do to hurt me. As for people in the physical world, if they're a stranger I see no reason to give a flying fuck what they think. They don't know a thing about me, are probably an imbecile and I'll never see them again in my life so their opinion means nothing. If they're close I could see that being painful. I wouldn't ever build a meaningful relationship with someone capable of being that destructive though. Anyway, I can't think of anything.

#16 kageshiro, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  17. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

The charge of "narcissist" doesn't really bother me. It is a ridiculous insult, and I readily ridicule it. I ought to adopt it as a "reclaimed" word, really. Humility only works on people who have faith in your motives. On others, it is tossing gemstones at pigs, and I don't bother.

If you accuse me of being "verbose" or "pompous" for knowing more than you do about a narrow subject, though, then thank you for informing me that I suffer from ASD and hyperlexia. I could have never figured it out if not for the help of these ingenious indivuals who harass, insult and verbally abuse me over it.

It is in the nature of ASD, particularly what is now known colloquially as "Asperger's Syndrome" since it was dropped somewhat from clinical use, for a person who lives with it to become unusually conversant in certain topics, and they spend much of their lives being treated like trash for it. It really gets to be bromidic and old-hat, frankly. We don't usually see ourselves as superior, but we do authentically spend a lot of time studying certain topics. Oddly enough, we actually know what we are talking about, when they come up in conversation, not that it gets us anything.

So it is really very stupidly prejudicial to assume that someone with ASD is somehow trying to put on "superior" airs. You might not realize you're an ass for making such assumptions, but anyone who even vaguely understands them knows you're an ass. Don't think they haven't noticed.

#17 Christiaan, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  18. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I'd just laugh in your face if you called me a narcissist. Partly because you wouldn't be entirely wrong and partly because narcissists can be some of the most entertaining people ever, like kanye west

19. Sarii

You're not good enough for me.

20. Lyana

It's not the nature of the word, but who is saying it and with what intent, that determines whether it will hurt me or not.