1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Makes Somebody a Badass?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Is it the way they carry themselves? Is it how tough they are? Is it being assertive or stepping in, when necessary? Is it chain-smoking and shooting a machine gun while surrounded by 80s power ballads and montages?

And, do you consider yourself a badass?

2. randomly me

randomly me Guest

You have to have dead parents be rich and have some issues.
    Then you train dress up as a bat and beat up criminals.
    That's the ultimate way to badassery really...

3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

"badass" is dangerously close to falling into a predictable and boring archetype for me, I just like when people are unique and interesting.

4. BiKate

Ready to beat up all enemies that stand in the way of them or their loved ones. Also need a tough looking tatt that they got in prison. Super fit because they're always running after people to sort them out. Usually a hot lesbian. They usually live off of bean burritos.

5. confuseddreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It all starts with unkindness, intolerance, non-understanding, bitterness and wanting to be better (or seem better) than everyone else (whatever "better" is) ......then it grows like a cancer into something horrible. As BiKate puts it, really well, Ready to beat up all enemies that stand in the way of them or their loved ones.

6. Cider

If someone has a bad ass, it's probably flabby or flat.

Oh, you meant the other type of badass...

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

These answers are beautiful.

8. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Badasses should at least have 1 of these qualities.

1) Ready to beat up all enemies that stand in the way of them or their loved ones. (Yeah, I'm going to be unoriginal for this part of the post.)

2) Someone who won't deal with people that are overall just jerks.

3) A person who can be really blunt, but actually considerate of the people they care for... even if they don't always express this.

4) Who doesn't care what other people think of them - point blank and the period.

5) Often a person who is rarely fazed by a lot of things that'd boggle most people. Mentally tough; and sometimes physically.

Am I a badass? I mean; some people consider I am... but I don't know.

9. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

1) Post-conventional moral reasoning. The superheros are often vigilantes and therefore lawbreakers or, at the very least, acting outside social norms. They are essentially tutors, for young people, on how to apply more advanced systems of ethical reasoning. It makes you a "badass" because, although you are not behaving actually immorally, you are breaking the rules and challenging what most people accept. You are doing a deeper kind of good by challenging convention.

2) Be passionate about a cause, and get it to register in your mind that what you believe is more important than what others might think of you. Being openly gay in the 1960's or 1970's, for instance, required some badassery. You were not only going against social norms, but you were admitting, in some states, to being a habitual felon. The people who supported you or defended you were a microscopic minority that others frowned upon and held in contempt. You did not come out of the closet, in that era, unless you truly believed that you were right and were willing to make sacrifices for what you believed.

3) Even if you are rich, live a relatively austere life. A real badass doesn't find comfort in material acquisitions. Whether or not you always agreed with Steve Jobs (sometimes, I didn't), he lived in a way that most middle-class Americans could if they really wanted to, although hardly as a pauper. Only lesser beings require material confirmation of their worth.

4) When you're not immediately at work being a badass, then don't try to look like one. This actually goes back to the advice of Confucius: Confucius said that one ought to always wear the clothing of a working man in one's everyday life, and ceremonial robes should only be worn appropriately, to honor one's office rather than to aggrandize oneself. This is a very old way of thinking.

Those are my perceptions, anyway.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Morning, Justine, sweetie! :3

A badass to me is the kind of person who is assertive about what is right and stands strong to see that it gets done. I'm not going to say that the only badasses are the ones who are able to apply physical force, although that's a plus.

My offline friend Ellie is a badass. She's a survivor of rape, and rather than shy away from the issue, because it brings back that experience for her, she continued to agitate on campus and be an advocate for others. She also worked for a time at a local domestic violence shelter. It was good work, but she described it as crushingly exhausting. She was underpaid for that work, and she told me when she came home she cried almost every day.

Three months ago, I would not have called myself a badass. I lacked some confidence, and I lacked some consistency and industry. But, I work harder now, and I have more desire to protect myself and those around me. I make sure that I'm attentive to other people's needs, and I make sure those needs are fulfilled. So, I think of myself as a badass, yes. But ultimately it's up for others to decide.

~ Adrienne

11. The Wallflower

A badass doesn't have to look like a badass to be a badass.

Badasses are people that do everything in in style; usually in a much cooler way that is admired by many people.

I consider badassery to be like humbleness; if you say you're a badass, you're not a badass.

12. Suspector

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    being badass is for actors.

13. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    In my high school debate club we all had nicknames. I was given the title 'Badass' . As to juxtapose the ideas of me and badassery for their amusement.

So when you think of badass think 'opposite of OfTheKokiri'.

14. lettuce

It's all about capability. You can wear all the sunglasses and have all the catchy one-liners in the world, but if you're completely useless then you're not a badass. Kirby, on the other hand, is an adorable pink blob that kind of just does whatever he wants, but he's a total badass because he gets the job done.

I also think something is more badass if it's able to overcome challenges greater than our expectations of it. Like, an ant that takes down a wasp? Badass. A bear that takes down a wasp? Less badass.

15. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

16. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd call anyone who wakes up every day and faces whatever they're going through, is willing to fight for what they care about whilst still being respectful and nice, a badass. Those are my standards.

As for me? Eh, I can't see myself objectively. I'd like to think so.

17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  18. Foz

Foz Guest

A real badass is one you can't beat on true vault hunter mode :lol:

But in reality a 'badass' is just an 'asshole' with an authority problem.

19. crystalgem

Out Status:
    A few people
    When I think of badass I think of someone who is intimidating but still likeable :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Nope I don't think I'm badass but I would like to be considered it haha

20. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

Being an evil donkey.