1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your own first date tips

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cider, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Cider

What are tips that you would personally give to someone that was going on their first date?

2. Zombi3

Be yourself :wink:

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Avoid making too many dad jokes.

4. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Things I've done wrong on my first date with my (now ex) girlfriend:

Don't wear too much deodorant :eusa_doh:

Don't try to kiss them when you part ways on the first date :eusa_doh:

Don't stare at them in a creepy way, but do make eye contact if you're comfortable with it

General tips:

Try to give as much as possible information about yourself (Your likes and dislikes, hobbies, employment/studies (if applicable), etc.), without letting them in on your deep, dark secrets/desires.

Pay attention to what they're saying

Avoid giving one-word replies as much as possible

Don't let them pay the whole bill if you've been to a restaurant - rather split it

If you're meeting in a sunny place (Outdoors), try not to keep your sunglasses on. It makes people uncomfortable if they cannot see your eyes.

If you're already seated, stand up and greet them with a handshake or hug or whatever the situation calls for. Don't remain seated

Remember basic etiquette, like removing your cap if you're indoors, etc. (Even if you have "hat hair")

Don't cross your arms unless your intent is to "shut them out". Body language plays a huge role in all cases

DO NOT CHECK YOUR PHONE UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO (Expecting an important call).

ALWAYS inform someone about where you're going and what you're planning on doing (Ice skate, bowling, movies, coffee date, etc.). Let them know when you've arrived safely, and also when you're leaving. Also let them know if you're changing locations for whatever reason.

If things get heated, PLAY IT SAFE!

Don't have them pick you up from home. Use your own mode of transport to get to the place and back again.

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't change plans from Starbucks to Big Lots. Yeah...long story thanks to my ex.

6. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

For one thing, don't attempt to keep up with your partner's drinking. Slow him down instead, or one or both of you will find yourselves chucking up your guts into the toilet.

In my case, my partner was drinking vodka on the rocks out of pint-glasses, and I was drinking mine "neat," meaning warm. He was also a more experienced drinker and weighed more. He poured a drink, and I poured a drink. He poured a drink, and I poured a drink. I thought at first I was going to be fine...and then I got a funny look, and I was like, "Uh, excuse me." Worse hangover I ever had.

The thing is, LATER, my partner had told me that he was trying to keep up with me! We had inadvertently made it into a contest to see who was more of a ball of nerves.

Sooooo, another tip: bring protection, and avoid getting into a situation that you have any use for it, for a first date. Don't intentionally have sex on your first date, but let me speak from experience: you do not control everything that happens on a date. When you start huffing on your date's pheremones, your judgment goes clear out the window. Have that rubber handy, just in case, and don't do anything without it, unless you want me to call down a bolt of lightning to zing your zucchini.

Don't think I can't! I HAVE CONNECTIONS!

Be yourself: everyone else is taken.

Also: he doesn't think you're a dork. He thinks you are adorable. The more you feel like you're being a dork, the more cute you are probably actually being. Trust me, his mind is probably too doped up on pheremones to register what you're actually saying, which is the same reason you're sounding like an adorable idiot. Yeah, and keep your protection handy: that's how stuff gets started.

Dress a little snappy, and make sure it's an outfit that you actually like. Guys love it when you dress up. For some reason, they just love it. Go for "respectable." It is surprisingly cute, actually. Ties are out-of-vogue, so don't let your mom try to talk you into one; however, if you like it, wear it anyway.

Before you go out, look in the mirror, and give yourself a moment to preen a little. It's okay. We understand. We all do it. Don't do it around your date, though. "You had one eye in the mirror as you watched yourself gavotte!" -- Carly Simon, snickering over how vain one of her ex-boyfriends was. She later admitted that he actually was hot, but you really ought to keep your vanity in the privacy of your bathroom. There is no shame in it there. Have a little fun, and take some time to let yourself be silly.

Don't use a lot of hair-products: an excess can actually kill your pheremones, and it really looks kind of stupid. One shot of a styling spray? Fine. A little styling gell in the front? Maybe. Being composed of more synthetic polymers than skin? NO!!! It looks hideous! But it also kills your pheremones, which damages your communication channel.

Don't smoke marijuana on your first date. It's uncouth, even if you live in Colorado. If it's legal, save it for the third. If it isn't legal, I ain't no preacher, but I ain't going to lead you astray, either; you just make your own choices. I am speaking from the experience of a guy bringing multiple drugs for a first meeting, and it just seemed so tacky. I did try to be open-minded, but eventually, I stopped answering his calls because, the more I thought about it, the more disgusted I felt over that presumptuousness. Just who did he think he was? Trying to impair the judgment of someone you don't know is just nothing but rape. Alcohol is bad enough, but when you bring a pharmacy to a date, it's kind of gross.

Good ideas?

#6 Christiaan, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  7. guitar

You want to check out this thread (or at least some of the posts starting with #12).