1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia at work

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Simple Thoughts, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Simple Thoughts

Okay so at work today for w/e reason one of the guys I work with decided to talk about the Supreme court ruling on Gay marriage, and he legit thinks that it will lead to civil war between and I quote "The normals, and the fags"

I wanted to like say something, but...I really couldn't because I'm not in a position to. It was kinda an awkward spot to be in.

I do have to admit though that after a lil while I started imagining what this war would look like in my head...so much blood and rainbows 0.0

2. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well that was an ass move of him.

You don't go around just talking to anybody randomly about any of your views against something; especially in the context and fashion he did.

It's at least good of you to not say something about it, it could hurt you in the work environment your in. But still, kudos to you for not ripping the guys head off; I probably would have.

3. Simple Thoughts

Yeah I try not to cause conflict if it can be avoided ^^"

4. Psaurus918

Wow, that sucks! I would be pretty upset if someone said something like that in front of me. Is there any way you could talk to your boss about it?

5. Simple Thoughts

My boss told the only black guy we work with "You are a grain of pepper in the salt shaker" once...I highly doubt it'd do me any good.

6. MysteriousMadam

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This actually reminds me of multiple conversations I had with this dumbass in my art class. He would ask me what I thought about gay guys, for example.
    "Oh they're wonderful!"
    "Are you aware that they toss each other's salad?"
    "But is that really your business?"
    "Nah, but it's nasty. They can't have normal sex."

Another conversation we usually had was about gay marriage. I got into a really heated religious debate with this kid and another annoying girl in that class, so he already knew that I was irreligious. But he would always ask me what I felt about gay marriage and when I said that I supported it, he would tell me what the Bible says on homosexuality. I would tell him "you know I don't believe in the Bible" and that would usually shut him up.
    I never told him that I was bisexual, that's not his business. You can voice your opinion and be passionate without having to tell them your sexuality. It is an uncomfortable position, trust me I know.

Rainbows for the win :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

7. Simple Thoughts

I know you can, but I try to keep a low presence at work.

I like the spot I'm in it's not too bad and I'm trying to just stay outta the way until I can move.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had some similar crushing things said around me at work :frowning2:

This is why it's so important that we work to make people feel safe and why we fight against gender oppression.

Anyway, I look forward to the coming civil war.

~ Adrienne

9. Footnerd

Footnerd Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    All depends on the work place, a lot of people would be amazed at how racist and homophobic workplaces and schools still are very homophobic. This is why I don't care about same sex marriage, sure it is nice that it can be done but here in the real world at work and at school and home many are still living in fear of their jobs and everything and not even able to dare admit to being one of those "fags" or they will be fired and believe me they will find a way to fire.

Best advice I can give is to deflect the topic, say something like yea well nothing in this world surprises me anymore, times have changed, is it even a big deal? try and blow it off and change subject. Keep in mind if there is even the slightest suspicion then some people will try and talk about those issues in front of you or in earshot and gauge your reaction to see if you go into defensive mode, deflect mode, or full out with them. They could be sniffing for something.

Some workplaces they will offer to take you out to a strip club for beers as a test.

10. Simple Thoughts

I just hope instead of using fighter jets we fly Nyan Cats X3

---------- Post added 9th Jul 2015 at 07:34 PM ----------

Huh...never new that.

I hope they never ask me to go to strip club. I'd be like "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK NO!"

11. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have to admit, when the Supreme Court ruling came out, not many of my co-workers that I usually eat lunch with knew about it. I brought up the conversation since I had watched the news in the morning and I was somewhat shocked that the three (for sure) straight people there and at least one somewhat conservative family-man were all really nonchalant and accepting about the whole thing! They were like: of course that makes sense -- what was the U.S. waiting for?

This really surprised me, but I guess being in the San Francisco Bay Area, there are more people who are OK with this -- even straight folks with kids. One of my other co-workers who I suspect is gay (but have no hard evidence except intuition) joined us later and he brought up the topic. I found this to be cool and just wanted to share that I guess not all work places are that homophobic. Of course -- your mileage may vary and it could just be my team! :slight_smile:

12. guitar

When the ruling hit, the girl in the next cubile told me "aren't you excited?" "It's great, I'm glad the supreme Court did the right thing." From there a crowd quickly gathered around my desk (I think I'm the only gay person in my office, most are straight married women) with everyone asking me about the ruling. If anyone is homophobic, they haven't said it to my face.

OT: that's a shitty situation to be in. It really depends on the level of support from coworkers. I love to debate and call people on their shit, but I also don't want to be a pariah if I were in a homophobic work environment, so I'd probably keep quiet.

13. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Write this in as a suggestion to the South Park people! This is joy fuel! HAHAHAHAHA!

14. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's probably best to not pay attention to them. There's a lot of people who support gay marriage

15. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, that really sucks...I'm so sorry that happened to you.

I love Christiaan's suggestion...I'd go with that...and try (at least slowly and quietly) to find a more enlightened workplace/place to live.

16. Simple Thoughts

That would upset me greatly.

Just personally, I'm not good being the center of attention and if a bunch of people were gathering around me over something like that I'd get really nervous and stresssed out >.>