1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Job Interview Tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Juli, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Juli

Any tips or advice? Thanks! (!)

2. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Interviewers look for body language. Do not look like you're shy or nervous. Look like you're ready for the interview and show your confidence. :slight_smile:

I wish someone told me this before I had my first interview. :dry:

3. Cider

Look your best. Smile. Be as confident as you can. Have good posture, and tell them your strengths.

I had a job interview two weeks ago for Fareway, it went well, and now I'm working there! Good luck!

4. Juli

The pretending not to be nervous will be difficcult, but I shall try. Looking my best is something I can do (hopefully). Thanks guys!

5. warthog

Good luck darlin' . remember don't be aggressive. and don't laugh too much, i tend to do that when i'm nervous.

6. BiKate

Don't act like they're any different to any other person you would talk too. The worst that can happen is you won't quite fit the role for whatever job it is. Which won't be too bad, it'll just mean nothing will change. They can't do anything that'll make life worse :thumbsup:
    I've been in only 4 interviews. The latest one I did really well with, because I talked to the person interviewing me like she was a friend. The first 3 I was nervous as hell, but this one I just smiled and asked her how she was and let myself answer questions honestly and casually. I didn't get the job because there were 100+ applicants and they had more experience than me, but it was still the best interview I've done.

But I did manage to score the last 3 jobs I did (though one fell through, not because of me though). I was nervous as hell but still managed to get the jobs. So try your best to be casual and not nervous, but don't start freaking out if you do happen to get nervous.

Make eye contact. Smile a bit. Wear nice clothes. And make sure you know the basics of the business you're applying too like what they sell. And maybe google some interview tips.
    With luck the whole ordeal will be over in like 10 minutes

7. Gallatin

There's been some good tips already offered, so I'm not sure I have much to offer. I particularly agree with dressing the part - doing so will make you feel more confident when the time comes.

And also what BiKate said about knowing a bit about the company - spend a little time looking at the company's website. Even if it's a big chain retail store or restaurant and you don't think there's much you can learn, take a look . Maybe there'll be something about their charitable activity, for example, that you could reference ("so what makes you want to work for our company" "well you're an industry leader so and so forth yada yada yada and also I've always been very impressed with your company's commitment to charity and community involvement, like when you helped raise money for xyz cause").

Oh, one thing I can think of - come prepared with a few questions to ask. At the end of an interview it is very common for the interviewer to ask you if you have any questions, and you don't want to be caught struggling to think of something off the top of your head. Even if its a question you already know the answer to, that's okay.

Know your strengths ahead of time and be able to talk about them. And the same goes for your weaknesses. If they ask you about the latter, remember to include ways that you're working on improving that weakness.

Most importantly, be yourself and believe that you will get the position. Let us know how it goes. Good luck! :slight_smile:

8. Juli

Thank you guys so much! The biggest struggle will be for me to respond without saying "ummmmm", but I'm sure I can manage.

9. Psaurus918

Good luck!

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you think you have to say "umm" just stay silent and think. They'll appreciate that you're collecting an answer without filling the air with fluff.

Has body language been mentioned? Try to keep your hands clasped or in some other neutral position and avoid fidgeting. Any answer you give will appear better if given with poise than with all sorts of movement showing that you are terrified, even if you really are. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    As others have said, being confident and focusing on your strengths will help a lot.

12. Pexter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Confidence, sympathy, smile (very important) and just try to be yourself. Don't lie, don't try to be something you're not. That can cost you later.

Good luck! ;-)

13. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good luck! :slight_smile:

14. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Look your best and just act as if the person interviewing you is your best friend that last part is the reason I've gotten all my past jobs..it shows your not intimidated and you can communicate with someone higher up if need be.

15. Juli

Who wants to hear a funny story? I originally applied to the job online, and the next day got the call scheduling my interview, which was today. There had been a section in the original application asking what my date of birth was, which I answered truthfully, making me 16. I was running off of the assumption that they'd actually read my application, which they had not, bacause when I got to the interview, they said I had to be 18. So, I went next door to the movie theater with no idea if they were actually hiring and was told that they needed help and I was old enough to work there. Then they gave me an application. Yay (sorta)! Thanks for all of your advice!

16. Cider

Congrats!