1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stance on Polygamy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DreamerBoy17, Jul 8, 2015.

?

What is your stance polygamous marriage?

1. Yes, I believe they should have the same marriage rights

25 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Yes, but only after more LGBT issues are cleared up

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. Neutral

20 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. No, I don't think polygamous marriages should be recognized

21 vote(s)
    30.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen a few news articles floating around here and there about people who want to make their polygamous (as in, more than 2) person marriage legal. At first, I was a little irritated that they decided to swoop in the second after we got our marriage equality, but after some thinking I think it should be legalized. As long as all in the party are consenting and of age, I don't see any plausible reason to deny people marriage. I personally would never want to partake in a relationship with multiple people (I'm too much the jealous sort), however, I believe that if you can make it work, there really isn't any harm in it. The only complications would be trying to fit that into the legal system, which might be a bit of a nightmare, but otherwise I can't find another argument against it. Keep in mind, I'm not putting this on the same platform as same sex marriage, because these people have not had to fight tooth and nail for simply not being fired from a job or being able to join the military. I'm just saying that a committed couple deserve the same rights as anyone else. I'd love to hear any other opinions!

2. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is one of the few topics where I have a conservative opinion. I voted no. I think it's fine if you want to have a poly relationship but I think marriage should only be between two people. Maybe my reasoning is because when I think of poly people, I think of the Mormons and especially those people from Sister Wives, and it just bothers me.

3. Psaurus918

I voted no although I don't feel like I should be judging people.

I guess I'm kinda mad when people say "if 2 guys can get married I should be allowed to marry 2 girls" idk I think people should pick 1 person and marry them

4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, for the longest time that's what I thought of, too. That what I meant when I said consenting. I know a lot of women in the more extreme LDS are pretty much sold off to the highest bidder, which I think should be stopped, but I'm sure there are regular people who just want a recognized marriage.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Voted no. The potential exists for *polyamorous* relationships to be healthy, but polygamy is too tainted a concept IMO to be legally recognized. Far too open to abuse.

7. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't want something like that, that is rooted in men lording over a bunch of women to be made legal all over the world, when loving same sex couples are still fighting for marital rights. I hate to sound like a right wing nutcase but what you do behind closed doors is your business and I don't need or want to see it.

8. Gen

Gen

The comparison between same-sex marriage and polygamy does not hold weight. Only allowing for the marriages between people of certain sexes is inherently discriminatory. If heterosexual did not have the right to marry the opposite sex, then homosexuals not having the right to marry the same sex would not be a matter of inequality. You cannot have inequality unless privileges are being bestowed unequally, which is not the case on the subject of polygamy.

With that being said,

Should we legalize polygamous marriage as our legal concept of marriage currently stands? No.

Should we do away with federal marital benefits and possibly consider legalizing polygamous marriage afterwards? Absolutely.

9. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, marriage is meant for two people. I think healthy poly relationships are the exception than the norm.

10. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I'm wary of those who oppose polygamy or indeed polyamory on the grounds that it conflicts with X belief they have. It truly reminds me of the "Marriage is between a Man and a Women because Bible" crowd. The main issue with legalizing Polygamy isn't whether or not it should be socially acceptable but rather how to prevent people from abusing it...

11. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree completely. I think as long as we can get legislature to prevent people from being forced into it or abused, there is really no reason to oppose.

12. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

No. Polygamy benefits men, not women. It is a form of abuse in my opinion. Do you ever see one woman with multiple husbands??

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would love to explore polyamory. I'm just going to ignore "polygamy" as it's too mired in patriarchal Judeo-Christian bullshit.

Many of my friends are poly, and they run their lives quite ethically.

I correspond with a wonderful woman from here who is polyamorous, and I would trust her with my life.

~ Adrienne

14. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll not vote in this poll, nor voice an opinion on polygamous marriage.

But I will point out to you that healthy monogamous relationships are also the exception, rather than the norm.

#14 biAnnika, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with Sister Annika.

As much as I take exception to many of the things that Daniel Savage has said, one of the places where he's spot on is the notion that modern monogamy isn't all that realistic of an expectation. People change over time, and (some) people fail to maintain themselves and exploit the expectation of monogamy by taking their relationships for granted.

16. GypsyButterfly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't have anything against polygamy per se. Though, it seems it's usually a guy with a bunch of women. I told my husband, that would be fine, if the women were able to get with each other. I suppose, if it extends to one woman, multiple men or one woman/man with multiple men and/or women, then, it should be addressed.

My husband & I are poly. It's not a lifestyle. Just an option which has been utilized at time. We're each other's primary partner. Occasionally we have secondary partners. Since I get serious with my lady loves, I prefer to have separate relationships. I wouldn't want to be married to more than one person at a time, though.

17. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Call it tradition or whatever...I'm just a monogamous person. If you are into polygamy, then go for it. It's a free country, and I didn't mean to condemn anyone. What anyone does behind closed doors doesn't matter to me provided it's between consenting adults.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

In theory, I don't have a problem with it.

Personally though, I'd like to attempt monogamous relationship first. If it's that big of a focus for somebody, I'd like to think us close enough to share these things, and fucking mature enough to discuss this.

Regardless, I would be intrigued at who my arch rival in love is. Whoever they are, they have to be doing exceptional, they're competing with me, LOL.

19. Porphyrogenitus

I voted no, but I'm open to allowing it... at some future date. It's not about whether LGBT issues are cleared up first, but rather about coming to some sort of societal consensus about how to deal with all the problems about polygamous relationships that don't occur in monogamous relationships.

20. Linthras

Linthras Guest

As long as it's legally feasible and all parties consent, I see no reason not to legalise polygamous marriages.

Don't think I'd ever be in one myself though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.