1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which School Type Are You Best In?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Taly, Jul 10, 2015.

?

Which School Type Best Suits You?

1. Boarding

11.0%
  2. Public

56.2%
  3. Private

12.3%
  4. Other(Comment please? :3)

20.5%
  1. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Which type of environment are you suited for? This could be in academics, socializing, personal growth, etc. or just overall. :3

Personally, I always loved the idea going to a boarding school. I know a major con would be away from a good bit of my family for awhile... But I still liked it. The concept is flexible; I could manage my own schedule, and basically live on my own as if I were an adult... But then again, I would be around classmates; I'd be LIVING with them... So I think I would be a lot popular than in a public school because people would see their classmates true colors... outside of a school setting where we have to do one specific thing.

I guess in that sense; I could be a kid, and an adult - if that makes sense. XDDDD Granted, I've always lived in a public school setting... and I never really felt too happy in public school, it just seemed more stressful honestly. And I'd go insane in a private school environment.

Though, I've gone to leadership conferences that lasted for several days straight; similar to that of boarding school - and even college, and I THRIVED in those environments. I made a name for myself; I participated in things I never thought I would, and I even did things that aren't bad - but I wouldn't have been allowed to do if I were in a public or private school.

lol... That was a bit of an essay for me XD But what about you guys?

2. LiquidSwords

Fuck going to a UK private school. Can't imagine getting on with the vast majority of people there, just no

3. sugarcubeigloo

I don't know. I went to private school my whole life, so I don't really have much other experience as a student to compare. However, I do think I may have enjoyed going to public school better.

4. Foz

Foz Guest

My parents looked at sending me to a private high school, we went for a look and I just hated it, it was just toffs and posh kids. Funny thing is my dad made more money than most of their parents :lol: But I just didn't feel like I could fit in, just because you have money doesn't mean you have to act like a spoilt brat.

Honestly I prefer university, I'm focused on one thing I absolutely love, the social life is top notch and I get to show off my effortless quick wit :grin:

When I was starting Elementary school in Louisiana my parents took me to this private Catholic school (even though we weren't religious, so I never understood that) obviously when you meet the admissions team they put me in a room full of things while they talked to my parents and watched me. For whatever reason they didn't appreciate my ingenious use of both duplo and playdough to make a massive castle :roflmao:

#4 Foz, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  5. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I go to a public school, but I have spent ages nagging my parents to apply for a scholarship for a private school. I'm a very academic person, and I like the idea of going to a school with rich and brainy people. Going to a school like that would suit me perfectly. To be fair, I personally wish they would bring back the grammar school system. I would love that, but my parents are strongly against it which is why they won't let me try and get a scholarship for a private school.

6. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

A selective 14+ states school (public, but not public as in UK public (which means private for some reason)). Academic with good people and good behaviour.
    The private schools breed bad behaviour here and the states/public schools seem to cultivate it.

7. I'm_Danni_x

I personally do better in public/mainstream schools.

8. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    It's still a public school that works best for me, but I go to an alternative public school where all the classes are independent studies rather than traditional classroom settings.

9. Lyana

I've been in all three. I was a good student in all three, but had different experiences.

In my personal and limited experience, public school was, for me, terrible. For one thing, it was my first experience with bullying, which is as fun as it sounds. For another, it was teachers not showing up, kids not even trying, and a much lower level than my experience in private school. Again, limited experience, I'm not trying to generalize.

Private (Catholic, but not annoyingly so) school was slightly better. At least, the administration was slightly better. More authority, more punishments, stricter rules -- and I tended to feel better in that environment, because I was good at respecting adults and following the rules. Didn't like the occasional religious stuff that showed up, though, but I was far from the only atheist, so it could be fun.

Being a boarder, well... It was both great (freedom from my parents, meeting and living with my best friend) and bad (bullying 24/7? Yeah, that was a bit worse than before). However, it was an excellent study environment. We didn't have Wi-Fi, we had set hours for working... Oh, yeah. I was good. I didn't even need to study, but I'd get ahead in subjects I liked.

Definitely had much better experiences in uni, though.

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm homeschooled and it's the best for me.

11. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've only been in public schools but I don't really like it. I don't really concentrate like I should most of the time and the other people in the classrooms are so distracting. I've heard some people say that Catholic private schools are better because of various reasons like they're actually better at teaching, there's school dress codes so you don't have to worry about students wearing inappropriate outfits and other things that I can't remember ha ha. I'd like to try it out but I don't know if my parents will let me so I'm stuck at public schools.

12. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Public school. Though a part of me wishes I could have gone to private school just so I could wear a cute uniform.

13. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been enrolled to Religious based private school for elementary school, Academic oriented private school for middle school and to one of the best public school in Indonesia for High school. I never tried boarding school.

i was a troubled yet -i think- academically bright student in all three

I think a semi-military boarding school is best for me.

I have a lot of bad habit that need to be changed :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Think it depends on the location, since school funding comes from property taxes, right? If it's a public school in a decent area, it may be better than a private school. If not...

Either way I go to a public college now and I can't imagine going to a private college.... The money..... And the people.... Although getting to know rich people in college helps you build your future social capital, unless they hate you.

15. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the UK a "public school" is a very elite and expensive private school, along the lines of Eton, Harrow or Rugby, so that didn't fit, for me. A private school and boarding school would not have suited me either. State comprehensives were/are very hit and miss when it comes to educational and behavioural standards. Overall, the best fit, for me - grammar school.

16. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I go to a high-performing public school and I enjoy it much more than my friends with similar interests at private schools. With some level of selectivity, it's not like being dumped with students who don't study, but there is a considerable amount of freedom and responsibility to manage my own affairs. There's support, but not with the same level of coddling many private schools offer.

17. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In Canada the entire education system needs a makeover. I went to public school and I plan on working in public schools however, it's certainly not the best system. I do know that there are private schools across my home province (Ontario) that implement an open, interdisciplinary curriculm which is framed by (a) topic(s) of the students' own choosing. That much better fits my own ideal pedagogy, but I guess that's why I chose public. The public system needs some subterfuge. (Wow, I went seriously teacher here...sorry!)

18. Chi and Bashful

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was lucky I grew up in a super diverse area with high tax revenue so the public schools were good and I got to interact with lots of different people from an early age it really helped mold me to who I am

19. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Private school, it's generally considered to be more pleasant according to my teachers who've taught in state school.

I would never be able to go to public school, it would be a great place to connect with powerful aristocrats and sons of politicians and crime bosses for future business opportunities, but there's a level of snobbery that's a bit too high for my liking.

Note: when I say public school, I mean schools like Eton and Wellington... not state schools that are publicly funded by the government through tax revenues.

20. skittleALY

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I agree with Austin - I think particulary in the US (I can't speak for other countries) it depends on how the education system is where you live. I know where I grew up the public school system is horrible, which caused my area to have a high abundance of private schools as well as charter schools. In comparison, I have cousins that grew up in Arizona (before they moved they attended a private elementary school here) where their public school system is very good - interestingly enough, they only know of one or two private schools remotely near where they live and they are quite pricey as well.

I actually attended all 3 growing up - private, public, and charter, and if I had to do it all over again I would definitely choose private or a good charter school over public. But if I lived in an area with good public schools, then who knows!