1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you start noticing more and more people coming out of the closet?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, Jul 10, 2015.

1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For me, I personally never really knew any gay people until around 2010. Before then, I could only remember 1 teacher of mine being openly gay and only a couple other classmates. Now, I hear that there's nearly 10+ people who are openly gay that was in my graduation class (2012). I hear of more celebrities now coming out than ever before. I've interacted with a lot of people and I'm more aware of the openly gay ones, which I never really encountered prior to 2010-ish.

I think it's great that more and more people are coming out! I remember seeing a poll that said that only 25% of people knew someone who was gay back in 1990 and now over 75% know of someone who is gay. Just goes to show that more people feel less ashamed of being who they are and are comfortable with their sexuality.

So, when have you personally noticed more and more people coming out? Like roughly what year? Just curious.. :eusa_thin

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I wanted out more and more.

Nearing the end of highschool I noticed a lot of people coming out.

3. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

...but then again that was when I moved school and started becoming more mature so those reasons probably account for that realisation.

4. Foz

Foz Guest

About 2013, 3 years after I left high school. I saw for whatever reason several people who I was in school with had come out (including my teenage crush ^.^), the country seem to have this exponential growth in acceptance of gay people which changed the social dynamics quite a lot and people who were in school with my younger sister started coming out, quite a few it was.

5. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think when I started high school a few years ago. I mean, jeez, there were a lot of people who were out, mostly the bisexuals. I swear, in just about almost all my classes in my freshman year, there just had to be somebody who was out of the closet.

6. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's so interesting the different perspectives people have on this one. My gut reaction was late nineties, my partner said somewhere between 2003 and 2005. But I do agree that the progress over the last few years has been just exponential.

7. skittleALY

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    For me, I've noticed recently in the past year or so a handful of people that were in my graduating class in high school (about 5 years ago) had come out. Two of which were girls that I hung out with all the time in hs, and one of them I had a major crush on at the time and was probably one of the factors that helped make me realize that I was definitely a lesbian. Kind of funny when I think back to it now!

8. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    2014/2015. Up until then I forced myself into oblivion regarding LGBT issues.
    That proved to be a really bad choice, because then I was completely helpless to deal with what the future had in store for me.

I remember that in 2007 a female friend showed me that "If You Were Gay" video from Avenue Q but never really understood what that meant until now, haha.

#8 Weregild, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  9. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't noticed anything yet.....

10. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Really, within the past few years. I'd say the Trevor Project was largely to thank for this, as well as the growing support for LGBT people.

11. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's funny how my aunts and uncles (who are well in their 40s and 50s) said that when they were younger, no body was gay. Now they're saying, "What's going on? What's up with all these gay people coming out all of the sudden?" (not in a homophobic way though).

I think this decade has shown the most acceptance towards the LGBT community and hopefully it'll get even better soon!