1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Public displays of affection

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Christiaan, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

The guy I have been dating is turning out to be the first who has volunteered public displays of affection. We were sneaking caresses and rubbing our heads against each other's shoulders pretty boldly for an entire outing to a local mall. It is really a bit of a first for me. I was comfortable with it, but I was only comfortable because he was.

How bold are you and your own partner, though?

2. Cider

I can't answer this, because my partner hates public displays of affection.

My partner isn't real. :lol:

3. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ahahaha, me and my own partner - that's a good one!

Unless I'd been drinking I think I would be very reticent to engage in any PDA (especially if it was a guy). Like you though I think a partner that was very comfortable with it could potentially make it easier for me.

#3 Browncoat, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  4. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not a fan of a lot of PDA whether it's a straight or gay couple. Save it for the bedroom.

That said, my guy and me sometimes hold hands and quickly kiss, but it's not much.

5. RemakeJake

It's so terrifying at first! For me, at least. Even though I live in a liberal area, I'd always been "hidden away" by the boyfriend I had in high school. When I went on a date with a guy last Autumn and he would kiss my cheek or hold my hand on the street, in my mind I'd think "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?" It takes an adjustment for sure.

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not really coy at all with these things, and don't have problems showing PDA. I've probably received dirty looks in the past but I don't notice.

7. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't answer this because I've yet to have a partner. :grin:

But personally; I'd truly love it if my parent wasn't afraid to show PDA, especially if they were a confident and/or charming person, I would definitely show PDA along with my partner as well :3

8. Van

Van

I'm boyfriendless, but I can still comment, right? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I love seeing couples showing PDA, it's cute. And I wouldn't mind if someone kissed me or held my hand in public (despite all the homophobes in my country). So, yeah... PDA is OK.

Well, not when it comes to straight couples, though... that's disguting! :eusa_naug I'm kidding... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Even they are cute. :grin:

9. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I kinda consider PDOA to be rude, and doesn't matter whether it's straight or gay.
    I personally wouldn't do it even if I had someone I was really close with.

10. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Well, my reason for liking PDAs is mostly that it keeps squeamish individuals away. It's a pest-repellant; I find closed-minded people to be aggravating and impossible to get along with, since apparently everything you say or do is something they perceive as malapropos, somehow. It's like a cheese-grater on my nerves when someone is just having major reactions of squeamishness for pissant reasons.

For my part, PDAS don't really make any difference except alternating good-natured amusement and carefully concealed eye-rolling on my part, no real rejection element. I just really don't get much of a reaction off of it. I just see people living their lives. Sometimes with a little more enthusiasm than usual, but I don't see any reason to condemn someone just because that person is doing something that I myself wouldn't usually venture to do.

Me, I really don't have the urge, but I'm not shy. This guy was just rubbing his head on my shoulder and caressing like some kind of hyper puppy, and I just got into it, myself. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." I just went along, and it was very interesting. I had never done that before.

#10 Christiaan, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  11. PurpleDude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I once got a date by biting a woman on the neck, does that count as a pda? pda tests are fun by the way, lol.

12. Void Puppy

haven't experienced any PDA myself, though I hope I do soon!

I really like the idea of holding hands and maybe some leaning in public, but no kissing or anything more than that.

My bf is kind of a shy guy, but he's a bit of a cuddlemonster so maybe it will translate into PDA

13. Lyana

Hm...
    Female here, so different perspective, maybe. Having dated guys and a girl, I can comment on the difference in PDA I've experienced. I don't do it less with a girlfriend. We're pretty bold. A light brush against the back of her neck, hugging, cuddling, kissing and holding hands in public are all okay for us if we feel like it.

I'm probably more affectionate now than with past boyfriends, but it always comes with a bit of self-awareness and an awareness of our surroundings. I don't censure myself and I'm not actively afraid of being attacked, but when I'm kissing her, I'm somehow alert and aware of where we are, because even though the odds are in our favor, shit can happen. That awareness was never there when I kissed guys in public. I never even thought about it.

The last time I really thought about it, I was kind of carding my fingers through her hair and we would share the occasional kiss in a park. I turned around and saw a guy-girl couple passionately making out on the ground, her straddling him, and I was like, Oh, what the hell, if they can do that...

14. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't mind hugging my partner in public. I don't mind being called some pet names. Hell, I don't even mind if my boyfriend pats my head and praises me. I don't really care if other people kiss in public... I just don't feel comfortable doing that. I think kissing is weird, unless I'm turned on.

People might make weird assumptions, but I can't really control what they think. And that's if folks even notice or care beyond giving a confused look.

I don't usually drink alcohol in public, because feeling tipsy makes me want to hug almost everybody.

15. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't have a partner, but I don't think I'd be a huge fan of excessive PDA.

Holding hands, hugging, and maybe a quick kiss on the cheek is fine in public, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing anything more in public. I really don't need other people to validate affection between us. If we have a connection, we will both know it and we don't need to flaunt it.

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'm not going to smother somebody in public, unless that want that and I'm in the mood. I'll keep it to hand holding.

However, if circumstances allow for it, I'm not opposed to leaning on or hugging one another at the waist while in line. If we're eating out somewhere, I may poke your foot with mine, in a silly flirtatious way, or tickle your fingers. I can enjoy just laying on one another, maybe on a blanket watching some clouds or stars.

And sometimes, I'll probably want to be more open with it. A good example is, we're going out and you're dressed sharply, looking real good, I may be tempted to sneak in some kisses.

There's a time, place, and mood for everything.

#16 Kaiser, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  17. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Couples doing PDA are REALLY annoying! Like... like in... if they... UGH! CRUCIO MAXIMA ON THE TWO OF YOU!!!

#bitter

18. awdru15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    dont mind hugging him or holding hands anything else can wait till later .

19. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    No partner QQ I hate my life...

But I have nothing against others doing it. Seriously, it's their life. Plus it's cute a lot of the time. Also I like to see gay couples openly holding hands etc.

20. Justinian20

I really want my future boy to initiate PDA'S because I would love to be kissed in a shop, having lunch and he grabs me and kisses me from out of nowhere, I would never initiate though because I'm a little too shy. I love PDA'S though, the thought of doing these things with my future boyfriend is amazing.