1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living in a overly friendly country

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ModernCat, Jul 10, 2015.

1. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

I have recently moved from North America to Asia and people here really confuses me.

The other day my same sex friend and I were walking at a street and a biker was trying to get through us so she grabbed my arm and pulled me towards her. Then she started rubbing my arm saying "Your skin is so soft!!"

I live in a part of the world where people of the same sex hold hands when they're just friends. They might even touch their butts if they're really close.

I'm not into touching people's sweaty hands unless I like like them. My friends don't hold people's hands often but I let them hold mine when they reach out for it.

I find people's body language really confusing. It's so hard to figure out if they like like me or not.

2. Haha I get what you mean.

In East Asia, people can get a little touchy-feeling. I mean come on, they even take baths together. In South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan, bathhouses are a part of everyone's social life just like how tea lounges and coffee shops are in NA and Europe. So, everybody is comfortable with each other's bodies.

I strongly believe that it's just the culture. My friend went to Malaysia and he saw two dudes just holding each other with one guy's arms wrapped around the other's waist. You can tell that they're not gay since homosexuality is illegal in Malaysia haha.

If you do feel a bit uncomfortable, just tell her!

3. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I wouldn't mind the extra love-in. ;P I find it exhilarating.

4. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Well, Asia is very culturally diverse. In some places there, people are worse prudes than you could imagine, I understand.

What place in East Asia are you currently situated?

5. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

South Korea.

6. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Oh, I know a lady there who teaches English. Yeah, I've heard they're rather cuddly. Don't worry: it's just "culture shock." It passes.