1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird foods you want to try!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Christiaan, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

This will be fun.

My current favorite is polšja obara, a traditional stew of Inner Carniola, a region of Slovenia, that is made from dormice. I am so fascinated with Slovenia! So many European friends are slightly appalled that I am partial to the culture, but their country is very fascinating to me. That dish in particular sounds so cool!

One that I know that I am going to try, when they come out again this fall, is scarletina bolete mushrooms. Many people are terrified of the word "bolete" because one of the most well-known poisonous mushrooms is the "deadly bolete." The thing is, it's also readily identifiable from non-poisonous boletes, and you would have to be blind and with no sense of smell to miss it. The scarletina bolete I tasted once after observing some squirrels eating them with a sort of ferocity, and it was so delicious! I MUST harvest some this year, so I can cook a casserole with them!

I also would try dragonflies. They are so easy to catch where I live, they would be an excellent survival food! Burning almost no energy to get a snack? Aaaaaat the red rock candy mountain!

OKAY! Hit me with your best shot. Try to shock me, or just name something really off-the-wall that nobody else would think of to eat.

2. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

Fugu sushi. It's a puffer fish. Considered one of the most dangerous foods. The fish contains toxins in its liver, ovaries, and intestines. Chefs need 2-3 years of training to be able to get a license to prepare this type of dish. The price is around $200.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Future food shortages may force us to embrace dishes like your Slovenian stew Christiaan. :slight_smile: I can't say the idea of eating rodents and grubs appeals to me, but if needs must, who knows?

I do eat sausage quite a lot (switch off your dirty minds guys :lol:slight_smile: and they often contain the parts of an animal that would otherwise be discarded.

4. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Yeah, but unfortunately, it's very hard to find dormouse on the market. If you can find out where to buy it, then I congratulate you. If I have to trap my own, then I might actually pass on it. I don't think you can find them in the US, and I'm not sure how I would manage contracting the Devil to help me.

I am curious about sea urchin, actually.

#4 Christiaan, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  5. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Sea urchin is readily available at any sushi place here, but I haven't actually tried it yet! I really want to try raw horse (uma sashimi). I would also love to try alligator and kangaroo. Basically, if it's meat, I'm willing to try it! I even tried whale last year (never again).

6. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fried Spider. I dont know, but it looks good! Every time I see someone eat it on TV i get a bit jealous.

Im weird

7. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eh, one person's "weird"....

Blood cake came first to mind when I saw this thread. Could really come up with an endless number though. Brains and testicles - another two. And tongue, for some reason I've never had tongue before.

8. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Hemp... Yes I'm a crazy hippie vegan :lol: Like... hemp protein. Healthy and stuff and I'm really interested in the taste.

Also, I want to try every fruit in the world! <3

9. Gandee

Gandee Guest

I've tried all of the examples you mentioned. They are quite tasty, including the testicles :roflmao:

10. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have heard that in some other countries they eat some kinds of insects. I have always wanted to try insects. A few times I have eaten ants because I heard a rumor that they tasted like lemon, but the ants were too small to taste.

11. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

I have actually snapped mosquitoes out of the air with my teeth. They could use a little sage.

One tea that I want to get my hands on again is Lapsang Souchong. It's outrageously silly and tastes like bacon, but it's kind of cool to be able to say you have it.

#11 Christiaan, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  12. Disappear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm vegetarian and would love to be vegan one day (that's another story...) but I would eat zebra if I had the chance. I've always wanted to try it, probably to see if the steak has the stripes.. Or if it' different from horse. I wouldn't eat the whole thing though, just a bite would be enough.

13. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always wanted to try a deep friend chocolate bar... and then I did!

It was disappointingly quite nice. I sort of wanted to be grossed out by it. Does that make any sense at all?

14. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

When his daughter was wanting to become a chef, my ex ended up teaching me some very interesting ideas, one of them being chocolate-covered bacon.

His was homemade, not the cheap stuff off Amazon, although Amazon's stuff makes a great stocking-stuffer. He loves chocolate, and he really loves pork; that's for true. He really loves to cook.

15. Truth teller

Out Status:
    Not out at all
  16. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  17. Keahi

I still remember the first time I discovered different countries had different fruits. Somebody gave a branch of limoncillo fruits (also called quenepa, Spanish lime, etc.), and I was like, 'What? WHY don't we have these at home? We NEED them!'

Lol.

Some of the mango varieties out there are worth travelling for too. :slight_smile: