1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is everyone beautiful?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Batman, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone!

I was rereading this blog post right here and would like to hear your guys' opinions on the topic covered in it. The members here are usually pretty big on ego boosting and complimenting each other (which I totally love, don't get me wrong) and it's a very positive place in general, so I thought it would be a good community to ask.

Should the phrase "Everyone is beautiful" see continued use? Is it a true statement, or a feel-good lie?

2. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Once I would have very firmly stated that this was a truth. However, after a year of living next door to someone really, really awful, I no longer believe it. The idea of claiming he could be 'beautiful' makes me feel sick. He said and did some disgusting, vulgar things that I can never forgive. In my opinion, he is an ugly soul with ugly looks and I cannot say anything good about him.

3. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that it is very likely that everyone is beautiful to someone. =) So in that sense, I think the phrase everyone is beautiful does make sense.

4. awdru15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    everyone has qualities that make them beautiful .

5. lettuce

I definitely agree with that blog post. I think making beauty synonymous with any positive attribute is ultimately perpetuating the idea that if you're not beautiful you're worthless.

I always find it a little patronizing when a picture pops up on the internet calling me beautiful or smart or special. It doesn't make me feel better about myself, it just makes me feel like every compliment I receive is token and disingenuous.

6. Truth teller

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

7. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think the reason why this is controversial is because there are so many possible permutations of interpretations. For example,

A) Physically Attractive + Attractive Personality
    B) Physically Attractive + Unattractive Personality
    C) Physically Unattractive + Attractive Personality
    D) Physically Unattractive + Unattractive Personality

On top of those permutations, defining "physically attractive" and "attractive personality" is extremely subjective and often personal/personalized depending on the "eye of the beholder", i.e. the one who is evaluating the question (No I'm not trying to be corny...).

In general what I have seen argued is that items A and C above are often considered beautiful by people, sometimes item B is considered beautiful by people, and almost always item D is not considered beautiful by people.

In addition, when people see that someone's unattractive personality is caused by things out of their control, they tend to have more empathy toward that person and feel the person has a greater chance of changing and becoming more beautiful, since it is the person's choice how to move forward even though the past wasn't their choice.

But, to actually answer your question :wink:... I do not believe everyone is beautiful and I do not think that everyone has the capability of being beautiful. When I say this, I am only referring to the inner personality. Some people are mean spirited, get off on this, and have no interest in changing. That is not beautiful.

On the other hand though, I think beauty is something that can be constantly assessed, it's not something you're locked in for life. In other words: that person was not beautiful 2 years ago, but is beautiful today because they've really turned their life around.

8. Sarii

Feel good lie. Any of those "who ever is reading this, you are beautiful!!!" top comments on Youtube are so empty. You don't know who am, for all you know I could be a disgusting serial rapist.

9. Emmanuella

Yes, I think everyone is beautiful and unique in their own special way.
    If we are talking about physical beauty, everyone was beautiful at one point in their life: As a newborn, most of us were beautiful and precious to our friends and family. Some people are beautiful as children and more plain as teens. Some are dreadful looking as teens but blossom into gorgeous looking adults. Physical beauty is subjective, and as someone above mentioned, almost everyone is beautiful to at least one other person (and hopefully to themselves!!!!)

Inner beauty is something that most people possessed at once in their lifetime (as innocent babies and children). It is something that can easily become corrupted by the world around us, and sometimes by our own inner brains and thoughts. I (would like to) think that everybody, no matter how "messed up" they might seem has even the smallest spark on inner beauty within them. For many it has been so deeply burried that they might not be capable of every pulling that inner beauty out, to shine it for others :slight_smile:

10. Simple Thoughts

Two things

1.) If everyone was beautiful, beauty wouldn't mean anything.

2.) I agree that women are put under a much harsher microscope in terms of looks, but men have to be above a certain bar ( in terms of looks ) as well. All the money and success in the world isn't gonna get Igor a girlfriend.

11. Emmanuella

I actually love those messages!! :slight_smile: It makes me hopeful to think that someone took the time make a bunch of strangers ( they'd likely never meet) feel special. Sometimes those people might really need it.

If you were a disgusting serial rapist, I would probably take pity on you. Yes, I'd be terrified of you...and I'd feel horribly angry/saddened for your victims...but I'd wonder what happened to you in your lifetime to make you that way. And that if something happened differently, would your outcome have been different.

I've worked with hundreds of children over the last few years, and have gotten to see many of them grow. Sometimes, I just watch as they are playing, and I'm saddened to think that (statistically speaking) it is near impossible that they will all grow up to be "normal". Many already come from tough backgrounds, and you can already see the innocence seeping away slowly. It's sad. I often wonder which of these kids will end up in jail or on the streets, etc... It's frustrating, because at some point, these people *WERE* beautiful and innocent.

As adults, isn't that beauty still buried somewhere deep??

Or maybe some of these kids actually aren't beautiful to begin with? (I have seen a few cases that have left me with question marks??? :eek: )

---------- Post added 11th Jul 2015 at 05:04 PM ----------

This is true too

12. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Beauty is little more than an opinion and is subjective in every sense of the word.

Happy days :slight_smile:

13. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's interesting that the concept of what is "beautiful" isn't universal, and has changed quite dramatically over the years. It makes me think that the concept of what is "beautiful" could be changed to celebrate a little more of what makes us all unique. The article seems to suggest this would never happen because it serves corporate interests too much to keep us invested in looking a certain way. Which is a valid point.

But I say... never say never. Call me optimistic.

14. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  15. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, you are. (*hug*)

16. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

People don't realize that beautiful is a versatile word. Since beauty is in the eye of the beholder it can refer to anything from sexy curves and features to purity of spirit or intelligence or an attractive personality. Not everyone is beautiful though, people such as Jeffery Dahmer, Bin Laden and my ex are ugly.

17. Cider

Everyone's beautiful to someone, and everyone's ugly to someone.

So basically, yes, everyone is beautiful, but everyone is ugly too.

18. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just to confirm, you do realize you are saying this as the eye of the beholder, correct? I'm doubtful that Bin Laden's several followers, wives, or children felt that he was not beautiful.

19. Simple Thoughts

I imagine his wives didn't have the luxury of choice in the matter. They could very much find him ugly.

20. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No, not everyone is "beautiful". When it comes to physical appearances, then I believe that it's to make someone feel "special" because in this day and age, people are afraid of saying something considered to be "offensive". However, if we're talking about personalities and all that inner stuff, then yes, I believe that there are some people who would be considered beautiful.