1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you resist the urge to flirt with someone who you know is straight?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MouseKeeper, Jul 11, 2015.

1. MouseKeeper

There's this person. I think I might be attracted to him, because I think he's cute, and I cannot resist flirtting, but I believe he's most likely straight. I have a hard time helping myself. But I don't want to make him uncomfortable. Not to mention I'm in a relationship already, and 1) I'm monogamous, and 2) I doubt my girlfriend would appreciate that. Do you have any tips for controlling that urge to flirt with that person? It's rather difficult for me for some reason. Thanks.

2. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have that problem because I've never been able to flirt. Unfortunately I have a very reserved personality so I couldn't bring myself to even if I knew how. It's too far out of my comfort zone.

You could try just pretending like you're talking to someone who's not attractive to you in our head?

3. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well; I don't really grow a desire to flirt with someone when I know that they are straight and/or uninterested. ;P

4. Psaurus918

I always thought I was a terrible flirt, but I guess people think otherwise lol. As far as not hitting on a straight dude, good luck! I wish I could

5. Naminaro

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I picture my spirit animal looking at me very disappointingly.

In all seriousness though. I just sort of do my best not to. I've actually had a few straight friends with whom I've had crushes on, but I realized that I couldn't change them to make me happy. I just needed to understand that their happiness was more important.

6. Gandee

Gandee Guest

I don't, I like keep 'em uncomfortable XD. Rather than resisting the urge, I think it's better to draw the lines of your flirting. It's ok to say someone cute/attractive/sexy but certainly not ok to say "I want to :***: you. Then you :***: me. Then we :***:. I also want :***: and :***:" (well that'd be sexual harassment!) for example. Also, being monogamous doesn't mean you don't get a minor crush every now and then and I'm sure your girlfriend also gets a similar experience. It's fine to admit to each other that you find other people attractive and have no desire to act on that. Well, if she's the jealous type, better keep it down :lol: