1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it true, that because I'm Bi, that I'm most likely to be unfairly incarcerated?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MouseKeeper, Jul 12, 2015.

1. MouseKeeper

So, I was reading this article:
    Standing With LGBT Prisoners: An Advocate

and it has a section that reads:

Is what this article saying, true? Am I more likely to be incarcerated for whatever reason, because I'm bi?

2. Cider

Re: Is it true, that because I'm Bi, that I'm most likely to be unfairly incarcerated

I don't really know why whoever is arresting you has to know your sexuality. And, I have no idea how being LGBT would correlate into getting into trouble with the law.

So honestly, I don't take that article too seriously.

3. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Re: Is it true, that because I'm Bi, that I'm most likely to be unfairly incarcerated

No, definitely not. Don't worry unless you're doing something illegal.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

That author is quoting a 10 year old article, based on statistics even older than that, and the article in question isn't the most robust in terms of sources and data.

The article also speaks more to issues with transgender people than with bisexual or gay people, and as we know, transgender rights and societal acceptance have always trailed gay rights, so there's an additional reason to discount the generalization of its findings to gay and bisexual people.

I'd say you can safely ignore the main implication of the article.