1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lesbian question! (femme vs lipstick)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fern, Jul 12, 2015.

1. fern

Out Status:
    Some people
    this question is kind of for other lesbians to answer...but i'm curious if the majority of you consider femme and lipstick lesbian labels to essentially mean the same thing?

some sites i've read distinguish the two and consider femme just someone who identifies with their femininity but doesn't necessarily wear makeup everyday or heels too often...jeans a lot of the time, etc. and other sites seems to say the two are synonyms and mean very feminine girls. Just curious what people actually think :slight_smile:

Also just for the sake of learning more - how do you identify yourself? I've heard of the many types including lipstick, femme, butch, dyke, diesel dyke, chapstick, blue jeans femme, soft butch, etc... curious what is actually commonly used.

if blue jean femme is actually commonly used (only saw it referenced once before) i think that's what I am haha

2. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the term 'femme' encompasses all types of feminine lesbians, including lipstick, chaptick, etc. Lipstick lesbians... Well, that's kinda self explanatory. (Wear more makeup than chapstick lesbians)

I don't really want to label myself. I am somewhere between femme and... Something more tomboyish. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Lipstick Leuger

When I grew up in the 80's, the term Femme, was for feminine lesbians who dated exclusively and only Butches. Lipsticks were feminine lesbians who dated only and exclusively other lipstick and feminine lesbians. That was the difference. Lipstick was a term coined around the early 90's to my understanding. My wife learned that Lipsticks were girly lesbians or High Femmes, and Femmes not so much but still girly. So, much of this is where you grew up as well.

I am a Queer Femme. I consider my gender to also be Femme, and generally do not consider myself a lesbian, except for the fact that I love women.

4. fern

Out Status:
    Some people
    thanks! i think that's kind of how i interpret it as well - femme's are not as girly as lipsticks.