1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else hate being told this?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RavenTheRat, Jul 12, 2015.

1. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Sigh........... why do people tell me this?

So I say that I would date a transgender girl, with or without surgeries. I'm a lesbian.

WHY do people tell me that makes me bisexual?? To me, that's like saying I wouldn't date someone of a specific body type just because of their body type. That does NOT make me bi. I would NEVER go out with someone who identifies as male. If they are a girl in their heart and mind, than I'll go out with them. Why does that make me bi? If they act like a guy, if they ARE a guy, I turn right around.

Even people who SUPPORT transgenders have told me this! Why?

I mean, I'm not into sex. Honestly the idea of it kinda grosses me out for the most part. I'm really not into even getting naked. I like cuddling and movies and snuggles. So I mean, maybe that has something to do with it.

But does anyone else ever get annoyed by this?

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, you're a sweetie! (*hug*)

I definitely understand why it's irritating. First, people are invalidating trans people by claiming they are some other gender. Second, they are invalidating your sexuality by saying your openness to dating trans women makes you into men. (Trans women are women, as you know.)

3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I definitely understand why this would irritate you. People shouldn't judge others' perceptions of their sexuality.

4. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Maybe we should have a whole different sexual identification for people who would date a trans person of the gender-identity they are attracted to.

Trans-friendly lesbian. Trans-friendly straight. Trans-friendly gay. What's a good, short term that would fit this?

But really, I know some straight guys who really love crossdressing men. They are very straight, but there are hordes of married heterosexual men who see all these underappreciated crossdressing men out there. They look, and they are like, "Uh...wife on the rag, relationship on the skids...storm...port." They would, however, NEVER date a masculine-looking cis-guy.

I agree, and I submit that a possible solution would be to add, to our already cluttered vocabulary, a term that really distinguishes you from a bisexual person or a pansexual person, while also distinguishing you from lesbians who would not be comfortable with a pre-op trans-woman. There are many trans-lesbians out there, and it would help them to know that they have options.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, the fact that you would date transgender women with or without surgery does not make you any less of a lesbian. Transgender women are women, but there are some that do not see them that way. That being said though, dating transgender people is a preference that people have, and it can easily be communicated by saying if you would date transgender people. I don't really think that there needs to be a new term invented for that.

6. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Cognitive bias, basically. And it says more about them than it does about you. These people are inadvertently projecting their own perceptions of transgender individuals onto you and therefor your orientation. It might not necessarily be that they feel hostility, but they may just have that little niggling thing remaining in their minds that they just can't bring themselves to disassociate the identity of a person from their birth sex. When you say: "date a transgender girl" they are visualising someone who is, at least to some degree, a male, because they have failed to process that not everybody else would see the same. A lot of people have this difficulty given how ingrained the standard concepts of sex and gender are throughout life, but that doesn't excuse them trying to dictate to you your own sexuality just to suit their perspective.

You can try to explain to them: "No. Because she IS a woman and that's how I'd accept her. And if you cannot, that's nothing to do with me." but expect to come up against some stubborn attitudes on this, I've encountered people who will swear blind that a person is their genitals and refuse to even contemplate any different. Try not to focus too much on it because it's not worth it to waste the energy on anyone who wouldn't respect your sexuality. It's your life, no one else should affect how you live it. :slight_smile:

7. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Precisley! And thank you so much, that's very kind of you to say *hugs*

What suprises me is it's even people who support trans people. I know why though.. they're hung up on looks and genitals. WHY. Shouldn't heart and mind matter? Apparently not......

---------- Post added 13th Jul 2015 at 05:13 PM ----------

Thank you for all your kind replies. I'm very happy to see there are people who agree with me! <3

8. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Like Brad said, I don't think there needs to be a term... actually I would find that very degrading...

No hard feelings though, just... just no please

Good initiative on the thread, OP! It's nice to hear things like that every once in a while! (*hug*)