1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "Lifestyle"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Thealia, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Thealia

Thealia Guest

I was watching WBC and here https://youtu.be/3pxE6_VY8aM?t=7m4s at 7:04 a man says he doesn't agree with "the lifestyle"

What lifestyle is he referring to? I don't get it. Is he implying that homosexuals conduct themselves differently? My guess would be he is either talking about the flamboyant nature of some homosexuals, or he is referring to a stereotype that homosexuals are more promiscuous.

Also, how do you feel about people being "entertained" and watching the WBC? Does it perpetuate LGBT hate by publicizing and promoting it?

Where's the love? (*hug*)(&&&):kiss:

2. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I never understood what some people mean when they refer to homosexuality as a lifestyle either. I'm guessing they mean the whole sex thing or something, I dunno.

3. AlexTheGrey

Gah, I hate that term, and everything about it. The implied dismissal of people's experiences, the fact that it is a giant euphemism for "I don't like the idea of homosexual sex", all of it.

It can go die in a fire for all I care, and I'll still bring the napalm afterwards to finish it off.

4. Gerit

I find that he might mean the stereotypical 'slutty gay' way of life: partying, drugs, lots of sex, etc..

Yeah, I guess if you want to live that way, good for you. I don't.

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    He means he's a homophobe...

Then again, lifestyleism can be annoying imo... not that I mind other people doing it. But my mom is all like "oh rainbow this and rainbow that" now that I'm out even though I frankly don't care much...
    and people expect me to be like a hippie and want to enter one hour discussions with them where they can justify their existence to me because I'm vegan...
    I don't like when people assume things about me because of some choices I made (and some I didn't)

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think he just means the lifestyle of liking the same sex. For example, to THEM the straight lifestyle is typically a man and a women getting married and starting a family. The gay lifestyle is sleeping with the same sex and not having a family, and even if you have a family, having a non-traditional family. By lifestyle they imply it is a choice, which they think it is, so they don't support people making that "choice." I don't agree with their rationale, but that is how I interpret their understanding and use of the word.

7. Sevan

When someone says they can't stand the "lifestyle", it's not so much the imagined lifestyle of the gay underground that they are referring to. What this is essentially saying is "being gay is a choice, and I don't agree with your decision to be gay". They believe that the lifestyle in question is preferring to be with a same-sex partner as opposed to one of the opposite sex.

Think of it this way. They believe you have two options. You can live in a house, or you can live in an apartment. They live in a house. You live in an apartment. They think apartments are an abomination, and it's your choice to live there, and as such, they don't agree with your lifestyle.

TL;DR They're not saying they disagree with your lifestyle, they're saying they disagree with your life choices, ignorant to the fact that it's not a choice.

8. Cider

I think when most people say the gay lifestyle they don't actually mean being gay itself but they mean the stereotype - the one where "gay guys only care about sex and drugs and bars"

9. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I work, study, dick around on the internet, and sometimes spend time with a girl I love. What a shocking immoral lifestyle I lead.

10. souverian

^ You should be ashamed of yourself. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Spider

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's just an outdated anti-gay buzzword used in conjunction with terms such as "homosexual agenda".

12. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems to me that it generally implies the sneaking suspicion that we are having more fun than they are and surely should be punished for it.:lol:

13. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It assumes that those who have same sex attraction are promiscuous, do drugs, incapable of having long-term relationships, and automatically hate God because they are LGBT. None of which are true for me.