1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supervising government - lgbtq

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Spacewalker, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Spacewalker

Hi I'm asking a question for a friend.
    Do you think the government of non lgbtq friendly countries would go so far and track their citizens internet searches for lgtb stuff? Or that they might just 'come across' someone that's on EC and citizen of a country that is against all lgbtq things?

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think a government would go out of their way to do such things... Skimming through millions of citizens' internet histories just to find out if some are gay would be a sorry waste of time for a government. Usually, governments only comb through your search history if you are either (a) suspicious or possibly associated with some crime or (b) need to be cleared for a high security job. With the USA, I know the FBI does in-depth investigations into someone's personal life before they can get a higher level job. Though if you're gay that wouldn't/shouldn't prevent the American government from hiring you these days.

Though I wouldn't put it past China (no offense to possibly Chinese people, I just don't agree with that government).

[​IMG]

#2 Kodo, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  3. Cider

Of course not. xD

Most of the countries that aren't LGBT friendly have much bigger problems to deal with.

4. alilnervous

They would only watch you if you were part of an activist group for LGBTQ. Same as black lives matter and stuff like that.

Otherwise, they couldn't give a rat's ___. :slight_smile:

#4 alilnervous, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  5. Aldrick

They already do this--well something similar.

In the old days, prior to the internet, closeted gay men would find each other in public places such as public restrooms and parks, and then hook up for anonymous sex. (It still happens, really.) Police would set up sting operations in known locations, posing as gay men looking for sex, in order to entrap closeted gay men and arrest them. (Gay sex was illegal, as would be trying to engage in sex in a public place, obviously. You would be arrested, your picture taken and placed in the local paper, and your life would be effectively ruined--which was the point.)

Today, most of that has moved from public places to the internet. In places where being gay is illegal, governments still conduct sting operations. They create fake profiles on apps and websites that cater to gay men specifically, posing as gay men themselves, and snare innocent gay men looking either for legitimate relationships or just a casual hookup.

I've heard stories of this happening in both Iran and Saudi Arabia. Basically, what happens is you get arrested, likely tortured or threatened with torture. You are then forced to name any other gay people that you know. They then are arrested and face a similar situation. In these countries you can be put to death for being gay, but what more often happens is that the government lets you go. However, they know your secret, and can now blackmail and control you. They now have the ability to execute you for your "crime" or simply ruin your life by making your actions public--causing your family to disown you, for you to lose your job, etc. The government then uses you to whatever ends it sees fit; for example, getting you to spy on other citizens and report on other gay people.

6. Feline

Feline Guest

Yes, I have read of this happening in Egypt and Russia before. Just last month this happened in Egypt.

7. Spacewalker

Wow thx guys!!
    So I guess just browsing through lgbtq sites on the internet isn't dangerous. My friend will be relieved!
    Thank you!!:slight_smile:

8. starm

Most cannot due to technical restraints, and it is a waste of time to.