1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"You're Not Really Gay, You're Just Emotional"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MysteriousMadam, Jul 15, 2015.

1. MysteriousMadam

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So back in my Republican Christian days (man, how I don't miss those days!), I remember messaging this guy who was in charge of a page on FB with really Republican views. I liked the page and we had talked before on the page, and in this message I asked him about homosexuality because around that time I had started to notice that I was attracted to girls. Long story short, he basically told some Biblical and conservative thoughts on the issue and that I "wasn't really gay, I'm just emotional" meaning that I'm aware of the strong bond I have to other girls and I enjoy it.
    Fast forward a year or so, I suddenly remember this conversation. I don't know why, I feel like it was because I was watching Jazz Jennings' show and my mother and brother were arguing about sexuality and gender identity. I can't really say much about the other stuff he told me, as I'm now irreligious and I don't associate myself with any political party. But I was wondering about the last part he told me about just being emotional. I don't know if he meant I had a strong bond to female friends or female family members, or if it was just a general statement. I'm not sure what to make of it now. I know that I'm actually attracted to women in a sexual way. So the part about not being homosexual is wrong. But maybe not the emotional part? I mean I'm more attracted to guys in a more romantic way, like a Romeo and Juliet way, but I feel like it's easier to bond or make relationships with women. So what does that mean lol?

I'm a bit confused now thinking about it, I want to see what you all think about that statement, if that's okay with you :wink:

2. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    *tears and blows nose*
    Friend: Are you okay?
    Me: Yea, just feeling a little gay right now. Give me a few minutes.

On a serious note, homosexuality is definitely not some emotion. I'm not sure what that person meant, but I've noticed many of these conversations seem to be because people fail to understand what sexual orientation really is. I consider sexual orientation a similar way as left handedness. It's a part of you. Emotions come and go, but something like sexual orientation stays with you.

3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If that is true I'd want to say, "I guess you're straight, you are really boring."

4. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't know, it looks like it's saying (about the emotional part) that you're a girl and girls are more emotional and they tend to be closer to one another and even they can find other girls attractive but not be attracted to them.

5. MysteriousMadam

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    B-b-but, I thought gay meant happy.....

6. GypsyButterfly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What about gay men? What about bi, pan, trans, gender fluid & all the other aspects of orientation & gender identity which would probably make his head explode. Though I am attracted to some people in a physical sense, it's more about intellectual, emotional, spiritual & romantic. It doesn't make me any less pan.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, those straight people only ever have one emotion: irate.

8. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What? Just for the record, I act just like a straight guy...except for the fact that I secretly check out a lot of straight guys :grin:
    Being homosexual is not an emotional state, really.
    I hate it when other guys say "that's so gay" casually as if some weird event is actually homosexual in nature.

#8 Celatus, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  9. Naminaro

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Meh this sorta rhetoric is used by people who try to take away your power to be who you are. My advice to combat this sorta thing is to stand firm, and be who you are. You are the only person who can define you.

10. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think this is a combination of rejection and ignorance at the same time. Part of it is the conservative views that homosexuality is just a choice and not something that we are born with and part of it is the media's portrayal of gay people being overly emotional (Glee anyone?). Unfortunately, those who identify as the LGBT do go through a lot more emotional roller coasters that generally only seem to head downwards for much of their youth, that's something we still have to work on.

11. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    eh, I'd ignore anyone who tells me I'm emotional just because I identify something different from their "ideal."

People project themselves onto others in making them think that they're differences are invalid. Your emotions do play a part in how you're attracted to others and people, but it isn't a deciding factor in sexuality and the fact that people tell you there emotional shows you that they just want you to conform to their idea of how you should conduct yourself.

At least.. in my experience. So take what they say with a grain of salt. It's not worth beating yourself up over because at the end of the day - the subject is about what YOU think and how YOU feel - not how THEY think you should be.

:3

12. alilnervous

So stupid. I would say that is due to a boys will be boys philosophy to allow boys to be terrible people! I am too tired to try to explain :frowning2: