1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone in a GSA club?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by YinYang, Jul 16, 2015.

1. YinYang

I decided to join my school's GSA club next school year and I was wondering if anyone here has ever been to a meeting. What is it usually like? How many people usually show up? I know it might be different at my school, but I want an idea of what to expect, even if it's vague. Thank you!

2. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never been in one but I would encourage you to take advantage of the opportunity if you really want to go

3. MrSkittles

I was in GSA last year. There were around 12 students who showed up. We talked about what we can do in the school to make it safe for LGBT+ students

4. Silver Sparrow

I've been a member of my schools GBSTA (GSA +B for bi and T for Transgender, although we are considering changing the name to be even more vague/inclusive) for the past three years, and am planning on continuing to be a member this coming school year. I love being a part of the GBSTA at my school. My school is fairly liberal and accepting, so we do have a large number of people, although the core group is around ten to fifteen. When we host special events, like for National Coming Out Day, we can get a lot more people. We talk a lot about current events, how to support others both at our school and beyond, and our lives. We've also branched out and done special events, like I mentioned before. This past year, we invited teachers to come for a q-and-a session, focusing on how best to support students. We also hosted an LGBT 101 session that was open to the whole school, focusing on terminology and basic etiquette. Overall, it really varies widely, especially depending on the culture of your school.

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was thinking about joining one at an espicolian church.

6. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm actually thinking starting a GSA-like organization in out university. Our university seems to need it, there's been lots of discrimination and confusion when the topic is about LGBT. I have even helped my bestfriend in writing a paper that talks about LGBT+ support group (I even included EC), and now their university is thinking about starting a GSA group. I already know the steps of how to start an organization... but I remember, I am not out yet. I feel selfish about this

7. sunshinebi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely join a GSA. I wish more people would. It's a great oppurtunity for you to sit down and talk with people like yourself and they can help with problems that maybe the average person wouldn't understaand. Now on the matter of numbers I go to pretty large school (about 1,700 kids) so as you can imagine that translates into a fairly large group for the GSA which is between 40 and 50 people I think. Although most of the time only two thirds of that consistently show at meetings.

8. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm starting high school next year, and I looked through a list of my school's clubs and such and found a GSA. Totally joining! It sounds like a fun way to meet other LGBT folks in general and get involved in activism. What's nice is that if a GSA does something big enough to make an impact, it's more likely that the whole group would get in the news instead of just one person. For awkward people like me that want nothing to do with 'newspaper fame' and all that, it's a perfect way to cause change for the better and not get shoved in the spot. xD

Edit: Going on what Silver Sparrow said, is a GSA a good way to meet friends who would naturally be accepting of trans or genderqueer people? I've read up on them before and obviously they seem to be all-inclusive, but they're known as GSAs because LGBT issues were brought into the open starting with gay rights.

#8 ErickWolf, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  9. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was wondering about this too! GSA is the main club I want to be in next year and I wasn't really sure what happened there.

10. Eye Shine

I wish I went to my high school's GSA but I was still confused about my orientation up until high school so I was hesitant about going to it and regret not going to it. In better new I plan on joining college's QSA next year. (same thing really but it's the broad queer term for inclusive sake)

11. Armin

I am pondering whether I should establish a GSA Club in my school as I'm a part of the student government. What restrains me in accomplishing this is that my school is a Catholic one and sisters are the ones who supervise the institution. I feel like this idea is just going to be spurned.