1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

must I point it out, just quirks hmmm?!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wannahavechange, Jul 16, 2015.

1. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, ladies, gents, andy adorable cat people!!! Quick question for ya today but first a quick rant. I'm openly gay, and when I tell people ( I either tell them because they try and set up wit a girl or they ask ) that I'm gay they act shocked... and say something like " no way" or " I just thought you were super eccentric" oh wait and my best one yet "you don't dress gay"
    As expressed in some of my old threads, since my personality is really androgynous I keep alot of people guessing. Then when I tell them... they act so surprised as if i just killed their expectations.. idk.

Soory for the long rant.. blah... ok now question time..
    Do you feel you have to act a certain way to let other people including gay people know that you're gay? I mean I don't have a bar above my head telling everything about me like in some rpg game.. personality:androgynous. hp: idk. mana: workin on it etc.
    I just feel like I attract alot of girls and no guys... except that one dude on the city bus... I'd love to hear from you guys

2. Anastaisa_Lynn_14

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    idk but im in the same situation lol accept for i wanna be a girl lol, all the girls are like omg ur so cute!!! im just like... okay? and? *eye roll* lol

3. Cider

I don't get offended when people are surprised, but I do think there's something wrong when they point out a stereotype as to why they are surprised, or to why they already knew.

4. warthog

Although it's not exactly the same, but does a vegetarian have to dress a certain way ? sure being gay is not a choice, but in essence it's just a personal preference towards one sex rather than the other, so no, I don't think you need to act or look a certain way just because you're gay. That being said, since you seem to be an attractive guy who attracts girls, and somehow not attracting guys enough, you should probably advertise it somehow. I don't know I'm sorry about the following ignorant question, but wasn't there something about wearing an earring and other things that actually in a subtle way say you're gay ? i'm from another planet so I don't know what it was - or is - like.
    or you can wear a pink shirt.

5. guitar

I don't really feel this way, but I have been told by others (straight and gay people) that I should "gay it up." I dress awfully, act pretty much like a straight guy, and as such am rarely - if ever - noticed by other gay men. Most people are equally stunned when I tell them I'm gay. I suppose "gaying it up" would make me easier to identify for potential mates, but that feels like acting and not really being me.

6. souverian

I actually wonder if anyone in my highschool suspected anything. Don't know if they did or not, though. I never really talked about sexuality normally anyway.

7. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Some people suspect that I'm not exactly straight but the majority of people don't. I had some girls ask if I had a boyfriend and when I'd respond no they're all shocked and say why I don't have one because I'm really pretty and stuff.

8. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually get a kick out of how surprised people get.

9. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After coming out to a friend who I knew to be an lgbt-ally, I felt like I should make more gay jokes, or at the very least, express more interest in people of the same sex. It was terribly forced though, and after a week or two, I just went back to the way I normally act around her. We're not that close now anyways, so it doesn't much matter :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. The Wallflower

I feel lik I do, since no one really thought I was gay until I told them... I fit none of the stereotypes of your typical gay person.

However, I'm not going to pretend I'm something I'm not... so I just act like myself.

11. souverian

Okay, so really how many gay people actually fit gay stereotypes? Like 10%? 5%? It really can't be so many...

in fact, there's such a huge bias toward seeing people with gay stereotypes simply because we don't notice the people who don't exhibit them

#11 souverian, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015