1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bill Cosby, You Are No Role Model

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ZenMusic, Jul 17, 2015.

1. ZenMusic

I think this is one of the most depressing things I have ever read. Bill Cosby, you starred in a show showcasing the wonderful qualities of black families and how loyal they are to each other. You won a Medal Of Freedom for God's sakes, doesn't that mean anything to you? People may call you an African American icon, but no black icon I know takes advantage of young girls like this. And what's worse is that the black community who love you and have been inspired by you are defending your abhorrent actions, making them look dumb as hell. No black role model I know turns his back on a community who was loyal to him and continues to support him even after his depravity. No black role model slaps the people who adore him in the face like this. And no black role model I know should be aloud to keep a Medal Of Freedom after admitting to be a disgusting, child molesting pig. Bill Cosby, you should be ashamed of yourself. America's black dad my black ass.

And yes, I understand this was not a race issue, but this person was a black icon and someone who inspired a lot of hearts, so some of the black community naturally did defend him.

2. confuseddreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In principle, if he is proven guilty, I agree with you here, and share your disgust.
    However, please do be careful in what you say, particularly online. It's a very sensitive issue, this, and "if" is the significant word here.
    His guilt has yet to be confirmed, or him to be cleared.
    Hope you are OK yourself and have had a good week.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^I'm fairly convinced of his guilt. You're right that we will see, but where I previously looked at him as sort of a national treasure, all I see is a twisted bastard who happened to have a flair for entertainment. Such a shame. :frowning2:

4. Sevan

Actually, a deposition was unsealed from 2005 regarding the Constad case, in which Bill Cosby admitted to a court that he had given Quaaludes to women he wanted to assault. And not just to the woman in question, Constad. He confessed to giving the drugs to multiple women on the pretense of having sex with them.

He fought the release of the documents because he thought it would embarrass him and his family.

5. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    With all the this drama over Bill Cosby, I wonder why many women who claimed to be assaulted by him are now speaking up. It's not like I don't believe them (well, except for a few but it's only because it seems a bit skeptical) but I'm wondering why they were afraid to speak up against something so awful.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a complex question. A lot of people who are victimized feel embarrassed because reporting it involves admitting they had control and privacy taken away from them. Obviously it's better for people to come forward with it, and it gets easier if more people do it ahead of you. But a lot of why sexual abuse is so damaging is that it messes with victims' heads, making them think they are somehow at fault despite their bad feelings about what happened and the intentional exploitation by the predator.

7. BelleFromHell

As a kid, I loved Cosby. It's sad to see that such a lovable black icon has turned into a monster.

It's even sadder to see people defend him simply because he's famous. Sexual assault is sexual assault, and it should NEVER be excused, no matter how famous you are.

I say take the Medal of Freedom from him and give it to someone else. There's got to be at least a few black icons who deserve it far more than him.