1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Feel Comfortable Holding the Hand of the Same Sex In Public Where You Live?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Foz, Jul 17, 2015.

?

Do You Feel Comfortable Holding Hands in Public

1. Yes

50.9%
  2. No

35.8%
  3. Everyone Wants a Third Option

13.2%
  1. Foz

Foz Guest

Sort of an offshoot of a few topics there has been over the last few days, while the UK is ranked best for LGBT in many studies, this is mostly from a legal stand point. ~80% of people support equal marriage, however 20% is still a large amount of people who don't support it. Personally I would still feel uncomfortable with the amount of funny looks, jeering and whispered "look! Gay people!"

How I dream of a world where we can say we're gay without jaws hitting the floor and do all the things, beside marriage, that straight couples can.

#1 Foz, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  2. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Do You Feel Comfortable Holding the Hand of the Same Sex In Public Where You Live

I live near one of the most liberal cities out of one of the most conservative states in the US. Which is quite populated.

If anyone has a damn issue with it then they are not worth my time. I'd love to walk down a hallway or walk down the street holding hands with someone of the same-sex. It's my life and happiness.

3. The Wallflower

Re: Do You Feel Comfortable Holding the Hand of the Same Sex In Public Where You Live

If I don't feel comfortable holding my mom's hand or my best friend's hand, I don't feel comfortable holding any hands at all.

4. Cider

^^^ was just about to say that

5. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

I voted yes because where I live is rather liberal. However, I'm not comfortable holding hands in general.

6. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Where I live is very liberal and its nice. When we are walking around in public without our families, my girlfriend and I sometimes hold hands. Some people give us looks and whisper, I've got someone clapping once, but most people just treat it like its very normal and not pay attention.

7. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

I do, yes.

8. Foz

Foz Guest

Yes, but you're at the age where any and everything involving your parents is automatically uncool :lol:

9. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I currently live in a pretty small town, so no. Although that will be changing once I move, since I will be moving to a much bigger area.

10. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people

I honestly think that if I held hands with a girl many people would just assume we're friends..

11. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

^^This is true
    It is easier for a girl to be discreet about her sexuality than it is for a guy

12. BelleFromHell

Not me. I'm not dating, but if I was, I wouldn't. Although I live in a "gay mecca," and most people would assume that we're "just friends," I wouldn't risk it.

Gay mecca or not, Atlanta is still in the homophobic south; if someone were to attack us, we'd have no way to defend ourselves.

13. Psaurus918

I didn't vote because I'm not sure how I'd feel. I live in NY which is pretty liberal but I live in a more conservative area. I know openly gay couples that live in the area but they don't hold hands (not sure if by choice)

14. IJustWantToLove

Until a couple of weeks ago I would have said "no way".
    And the first couple of times I was out and about with my girlfriend I was uncomfortable holding her hand. But not because of people's reactions in general. I do live in a pretty catholic city, but it's also a city full of students and young people. Up until now we had the occasional odd look, but no comments or sneers.
    What I was afraid of though was bumping into someone who might know my parents, so I avoided holding her hand in crowded places. (But I came out to my parents now, yay)
    But honestly, I love strolling down the road holding her hand, showing everyone that she is mine and I am hers :slight_smile:

15. warthog

Yes about as comfortable as it would feel to be stoned to death, or thrown off a cliff.

16. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

Where I live (south half of Georgia state) it's almost as bad as Texas. If you even try to express your love anywhere in public the Christian fundies swarm like hornets.
    "Yaaaaa'll goin 'da hell fo' ya sinful lyfestylez!!11!1! Gawd says a so!!1!" (Accurate to local accents)
    I really hope it's just this area and not the entire state that the religious majority feels the need to attack. My family consists mostly of rather hostile Christians, but only a few here and there don't want to mount my head on a stick when I mention I'm atheist or gay.
    Funny thing is I try my best to keep a calm and respectful tone, while they chant that their magic sky daddy wants to BBQ-sauce me.
    I really hope keeping a reasonable attitude while they scream meaningless things at me gets them embarrassed eventually.

I think they must have ate all the Christians with brains or something, really.
    No offense to any of these brain-wielding Christians who didn't get ate by the fundies, the ones who see the simple fact that you aren't oppressed by other groups having basic rights- the ones you've always had. Again, no offense. I'm talking specifically about local fundies.

17. Cider

Guess what? I'm a sophomore in high school, and I'm turning 15 in a few months. But wait, that must be too young for you too :')

To be honest, people like you that have a dumb superiority complex over someone that's younger really make no sense to me at all, but you just do you. :icon_wink

18. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yes. I do it all the time.

19. Solitaire

yeah people don't care at all where I live :slight_smile:
    I remember I was really nervous because I was going to hug my male friend (who is gay aswell :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) and I was really nervous if people would look at us funny or something but no one cared :lol:

20. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

"I would be too self conscious to hold anyone's hands in public" -OfTheKokiri last year

Current me would be more willing when I move to the city in the fall. Where I'm at right now there is too many people who knows me since I was a child and would judge me and I can't handle that right now.

Why am I such a coward?