1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on people making jokes considered to be offensive

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LesbianThrasher, Jul 18, 2015.

1. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    For me, I love offensive jokes, every one of 'em. There's all kinds of them covering very touchy and dark subjects but if executed correctly, it can actually turn out to be funny. I understand that it may not be everyone's cup of tea but I find it really annoying when someone gets SO offended that they have to go and ruin everyone's fun. Most of the time when we make jokes like that, depending on the topic we're joking about (like a sexist or racist joke) we don't actually mean it, we don't condone it. We know that those things suck and that's why we joke about it, we just want to have a good laugh.

Anyways, I could go on about it but I think I've said enough (and I have a feeling I'm going to get attacked for it). Does anyone else here like those kinds of offensive jokes (just to know that I'm not the only one) or not?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You aren't the only one.

I went to one of the most politically correct campuses in the US (Oberlin College) and... there was an awful lot of politically incorrect humor being quietly shared in settings where people knew it would be appreciated.

And among my friends and work associates, though most all of us are in some form of social services-related fields, pretty much all of us appreciate the occasional dark or othewise highly offensive joke. Especially gay jokes. :slight_smile:

3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

It would depend on the joke in question and whether or not it's actually humorous or just offensive.

4. lesbian0pixie

I feel there is a very fine line with offensive jokes. It's a sorta 'laugh with them' versus 'laugh at them' thing.

5. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think if I went somewhere that's considered too politically correct, I'd go insane.

Still, it's good knowing that at least someone on here gets it when it comes to humor. Sure, even if others don't find it as funny, then that's just them and there ain't nothin' wrong with it, just don't ruin our fun too much and we're good.

6. Van

Van

What's better joke than an offensive one? :grin:

7. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

Offensive jokes can be funny if said to the right crowd and don't go too far. I like offensive type jokes as well.

8. Simple Thoughts

Offensive humor is the best kind.

Daniel Tosh is one of my favorite stand up comedians X3

9. kem

kem

Not all offensive jokes are funny and many of them wear out quickly.

That said I have no trouble with them. I kick ass at Cards Against Humanity.

10. souverian

If you want to figure out where the line is between "funny" and "plain offensive", I'd suggest Jimmy Carr.

11. Simple Thoughts

I love that game! X3

I know a lot of people dislike Offensive humor because it makes light of serious topics, but I always hated that reasoning simply because Offensive only works BECAUSE the topic is so serious. No one would find a rape joke or a dead baby joke funny if the topic wasn't so completely taboo.

12. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am generally a fan of offensive humor and I do not find it offensive. As long as it's funny, that is. Sometimes people attempt to be shocking for the sake of shocking and their humor ends up being unfunny. Especially if one can see through the "shocking" attempt so easily. There are certain topics that people attempt to joke about that I never find funny (Family Guy makes a lot of domestic abuse jokes that leave me sitting there with a blank expression on my face), but that's my own personal taste. I'm probably never going to tell someone "you can't joke about that." You can try, but it doesn't mean I'll find it funny.

13. Simple Thoughts

I agree with that sentiment.

I also agree about their usual failed attempt and doing something humorous with domestic violence though "Horton Hears Domestic Violence" cutaway joke...I thought that one was hilarious.

14. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends.

I do find many of them funny, if executed right, but when it comes to jokes about trans people, most of them are just downright rude and degrading.

15. Simple Thoughts

Gotta disagree...

As someone who is entirely unsure and very much confused about where they fall on the gender spectrum I will never in my life stop finding it hilarious when a hot ( by media standards ) girl turns around and speaks in a deep very masculine voice. The opposite is pretty funny too.

16. MouseKeeper

I LOVE offensive jokes. It doesn't matter what it's about. I love them. The way I see it is humor helps me come to terms with all the bad things that occur in real life. Rape jokes help me come to terms with the fact that there is sexual violence occurring in real life. Murder jokes help me come to terms with the fact that my oldest brother is a murderer. Holocaust jokes help me come to terms with the fact that the holocaust happened and if my sister and brother had lived in Germany, in that time period, they would've been killed, and so on and so forth.

That's why I laugh at people who tell me not to joke about certain topics, because they don't know why I joke about those topics, and if they did know, they'd let their personal feelings get in the way to the point where they don't care why I make those jokes. They claim it's about being considerate of other peoples feelings... but what about MY feelings? Doesn't anybody care how I feel? Evidently not if they're going to tell me what I can and can't joke about.

17. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This. THIS guy gets it. Like, oh my gosh, just reading your post makes me SO happy that there's someone who sees it the way I do too. People can't seem to realize that the person making said offensive joke may be using it as a coping device but in this politically correct era, you're seen on the same level as a rapist or murderer when making those jokes.

18. souverian

[YOUTUBE]ZlOHP5Dzs0s[/YOUTUBE]leaving this here without comment. well, I mean, it'll be obscene/offensive, but that's implied by this thread

19. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    How far is too far, though? To me, there are no boundaries in comedy and comedians should go as far as to exceed them, if that makes sense.

20. Simple Thoughts

That was hilarious, thank you for sharing that.

---------- Post added 18th Jul 2015 at 12:27 PM ----------

Absolutely agree. The only type of offensive humor I don't really think is appropriate is "Too Soon" jokes.