1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radio music has gone to crap

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Simple Thoughts, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Simple Thoughts

Lyrics for Billboard No. 1 singles have average reading level of an 8-year-old - News - Music - The Independent

In the last decade the reading level of music lyrics in radio music has dropped a full letter grade. I'd say that's pretty bad. I mean our lyrics back in 05 weren't exactly the most profound things ever, but it really does feel a lot like music anymore has gone down to the most simplistic lyrics I've ever heard.

The majority can be summed up as "Get drunk, get high, then fuck" in terms of meaning and so many of them use a single syllable word or a vowel sound as filler space for the majority of the song.

2. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Funny that you should bring this up as recently on the radio I had been hearing this horrible mindless song by one Silento, and I began thinking about the state of the Top 40 radio. It isn't just my imagination then that it is worse than ever. That said, it's probably best if one simply keeps the Top 40 radio shut off.

3. Simple Thoughts

Well long car rides = forced to listen to garbage.

4. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For me, it isn't even restricted to long car rides. My friends listen to music like this all the time. I currently live with two friends and they will blast music like this (mainly the hip-hop) through the stereo. I have to hear it all the time. Nothing against hip-hop itself, but the kind of mindless modern hip-hop that my friends listen to soon becomes grating on the ears.

5. Simple Thoughts

I know what you mean my cousin plays that kinda music all the time.

I keep hearing this song now on the radio and it uses the word "Suppose to be" a lot but when he sings? raps? it it sounds like he's saying "Post a bee"

It's like nails on a chalkboard.

6. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah, not a big fan of radio music. All they ever play are the current mainstream pop or country songs and it sucks ass. Just makes my head want to explode.

7. Simple Thoughts

Ed Sheeran is about the only redeeming quality of music on the radio.

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Rap/top 40 has been bad for years in my opinion other than light anthemic stuff like X-Generation's "Renegades". That song gets me pumped up and reminds me of all the people who came before us in the LGBT community and also the "new kids".

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

The reason folks are kinder to past decades is, all the terrible music has been filtered out, leaving only all the "good ol' music" that we pine for.

Drake and Nicki Minaj need to stop. I can tolerate a Drake instrumental, but the moment he begins to sing/talk/rap, ugh...

10. Simple Thoughts

Funny you should mention Nicki Minaj.

She's actually one of the smartest lyricists in the study. She was second in her genre only to Eminem.

11. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    I agree totally. In my area, there are a ton of stations, and only two are geared to people my age. However they have horrible song selections and pretty much play the same 10 songs over and over, those 10 songs being whatever is the most popular regardless of whether or not their audience actually likes it. Being that there is a local monopoly on pop music radio, split between two stations (only one until about a year ago) you kind of have to listen to that if you're in the car or don't have Wifi to stream music.

12. Simple Thoughts

It's pretty frustraiting. On our way to work my brother usually plays music on his phone, but his phone broke so we've been stuck with radio music and it's UGH!

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Really?

Then again, there isn't much mainstream competition... you have to look at the underground or lesser known if you want cleverness. So, I suppose that does make sense, though there are several of her lyrics that make me want to pull my hair out.

14. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree! It's not just the lyrics, it's the pronunciation too that bothers me.
    Like Simple Thoughts said
    "Post a Bee" lol.
    I really do notice that often. English is my main language, yet I can only sometimes comprehend the words and meaning of the song.
    I have nothing against songs about sex, love or breakups, though they are the most played. It's just that there's no more creativity in it, the same words, rhymes show up multiple times in the lyrics.

Not saying all pop is bad, because some of it is pretty decent.

Also, it annoys me every time when I hear some words (hoe, bae) used seriously in a song.
    Those words are just...ugh.

And anyone notice the repeating lines? In a good song, most times repeating things is necessary and adds effect to the song, bringing it back to the same idea. But seriously, when you repeat the same line eight times, and add two verses that consist of repetitive lines with the vocabulary of a nine year old...

I love music and even try to write my own songs and stuff, and I have an appreciation for good musical talent and lyrics. Most things on the radio don't have that honestly.
    -long rant over-

15. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Radio music was always bad. But now it's literally "all about the money, money, money".

16. Simple Thoughts

The study specifies it was only looking at "Grade reading level" so it didn't take into account things like metaphors, meaning, or intent. Simply difficulty of words, syllable counts, and that kinda stuff.

---------- Post added 18th Jul 2015 at 01:46 PM ----------

You forgot drugs and sex.

17. souverian

Aesop Rock!
    [YOUTUBE]Dbd4h1kaFlY[/YOUTUBE]
    (relevant both with intelligent lyrics and the fact that the lyrics are criticizing artists going "mainstream"

That said, he does count as underground.

#17 souverian, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  18. Rainbows~Exist

Popular artists generally make songs that their producers and record labels will make money. It is/was the same in every generation ever; radio music caters to the huge crowds of gormless adolescents who listen to pop trash over and over... :/

19. Simple Thoughts

Nice.

---------- Post added 18th Jul 2015 at 02:41 PM ----------

That only goes so far, it doesn't explain the drop in lyrics over the last 10 years.

Music actually is literally getting worse.

20. The Wallflower

You think?

The worst case by far has to be ''Pretty Girls'' by Britney and Iggy.

I didn't think I could despise a song that much, but they have proven me wrong.