1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Share your house-mate/room-mate horror stories!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Jul 18, 2015.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So me and my mate are moving two doors down, to a little Tokyo sized apartment, and I just got the keys. Words can not express my joy. About a year ago, we decided to move into a house with some friends; each having our own bedroom, and sharing the common rooms.

But living with our current housemates has been hard; the place is a constant mess, and we hardly are even able to use most of the house because it looks like an episode of Hoarders. I've been too embarrassed to even have anyone over; we wanted to try to host gaming nights, but in what space? The sink is always overflowing with dishes; the counters always crowded with God knows what; the kitchen table has not been clear enough to use in the year we've lived here. The sofas are all piled with clothes and papers and a jumble of other personal effects, sometimes in mounds two to three feet high. How does one even have a seat, to watch a show on TV? I shall spare readers here the complete catalog of horrors in the bathroom, and simply mention the countless female beauty creams, goos, oil, ointments, dyes, lipsticks, face-paints and pigments of various sorts---all left everywhere, often spilled or lacking lids, leaving sticky films in the tub and on the floor, as well as mildewed rags, towels and other things one shudders to identify, from tea molding in cups to an assortment of dull disposable razors which have multiplied to the dozens.

We're moving over only what we need, and putting the rest of our things in storage; most of which are tucked away in the basement, as there has never been space to put them elsewhere in the house, which was the initial agreement; to share the common areas.

We also plan to move back to Michigan in two years, and this will make that easier.

Even if this is a studio apartment, it's cheap and we'll be able to control our own space. I want a sparse, functional look; though a collector of many things, this has made me seek to become a minimalist.

And we'll have privacy. I'll be able to dress up in my latex puppy outfit, and prance about the place whenever I want, and not have to worry about that, or any other thing relating to sex, which will be wonderful.

And never, ever again will I entertain the idea of housemates, unless to help a close and trusted friend get back on their feet.

This is a big relief for us; it was tough, 'cause our credit isn't the best so getting an OK place so close that we don't even need a truck is really nice.

I could go on, but does anyone else have stories about roomies that just did not work out????

2. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, my roommate situation this last year was kind of a train wreck.

The guy I was sharing a room with was a homophobe. He thought that homosexuality was a mental disorder, absolutely refused to shut up and listen whenever I was talking about my experiences as a gay person, and also refused to examine his own homophobic/heterosexist tendencies despite knowing damn well that he had them, insisting that they were natural. And I think my favorite line that he said to me was "silly faggot, dicks are for chicks!", after which he insisted that I was "too proud" to laugh right then and there, but that I'd be laughing at it on my own later.

And the homophobic bullshit aside, this guy was just an asshole in general.

At one point I got sick and then he got sick right afterwards, and he seriously got pissed at me for getting him sick when really, I don't even think he got what I got. The conversation went something like this (just keep in mind that he was yelling the entire time, and being serious):

-Him: Seriously, where did you get this?!
    -Me: Get what?
    -Him: This fucking cold!
    -Me: I don't know, I assume I got it from someone at school.
    -Him: If I find the asshole who brought this into the school I'm gonna beat the shit out of them!
    -Me: Dude, calm down, we're at a high-stress school surrounded by people we've never met before from all over the country, these things happen.
    -Him: Well it was probably some idiot who got this thing from fucking around instead of doing his work but then realized "oh shit, I'm on student loans!" and decided to bring this thing into the school to infect everyone else! That's usually how it is!

He'd react similarly and similar conversations would play out whenever I beat him at Super Smash Bros.

Believe me, there's more to him than that, but I'll leave it at that for now.

My other roommates weren't as bad, though I'd still rather not room with them again. But still, I'd choose them over the guy I described above any day.

3. Houdini

Unfortunately I only had bad experiences...
    in the first flat one of my house-mates was a absolute slob to the point where i didn't want to cook anything anymore cause the kitchen was so dirty and moldy. But then her boyfriend just moved in with us and wasn't paying. One weekend she went home to her parents and after a while we thought it was weird how long she was gone. It turned out that she moved out without telling us. left dirty dishes in her room and told us to move out by the end of the month (i had a really big exam at the end of the month). so yeah was a very good experience

in the second flat with my luck same thing happened: boyfriend moved in without paying. The boyfriend had his own flat (he was really the owner of his flat) but just always stayed with us. didn't help that i never liked him. He also stayed in the flat when his girlfriend wasn't even around and played guitar all the time. Also they partied pretty hard. They had people over at least twice a week. and often during the week. i had to get up early and they just never cared. Loud music till 3-4 am.
    so yeah not sure i ever wanna have house-mates again

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nothing too terrible, but my final year flatmates would constantly crank the heater up to max, open all the windows, and sit around in their undies. Thankfully our bills were included in our payments to the campus, because I would not have paid that electricity bill. Also, two of them frequently had loud 3am sex.

5. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Nothing as bad as some people but iv had some room mates who I would never live with again.

2 room mates in my first year of uni were massive pot heads and they would literally stink the place out. The worst thing was that my room was right next to the one they smoked in and I swear it gave me nightmares. One night the campus secruity caught them and all they did was just warn them, it didnt stopped them and it continued.

In my second year of uni there was this mega skinny girl who was proper into her fitness and she was obsessed with the heater being on, even in the summer. She was somehow always cold. I remember the constant aguments she had with all the house mates. She was mega sarcy and bitchy too, definitly not the nicest person to live with. She made everyone feel tense when they were near her.

6. Well I had a houseguest for a week and I thought it was the worst experience ever.

I had to give my room to him because my parents made me, and he smokes. He stunk up my bed and my clothes (don't know how the smoke clung onto my clothes when he never opened my closet). I had to sleep in my parent's room and they snore so much that I woke up at 2 am and couldn't sleep at all until I moved to the living room to sleep on the couch.

I had only five hours of sleep and I felt like I was out to murder someone. This continued on until five days later when he left to visit some other city. I had to let my bedsheets and mattress air out because of the smell of tobacco.

NEVER AGAIN! NEXT TIME THERE'S A HOUSEGUEST, S/HE BETTER BE A FRIEND FROM HIGH SCHOOL!

7. Spider

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first suite mates had a habit of screaming "turn up" at the top of their lungs and playing music so loudly that the walls actually shook.

8. Gen

Gen

You are all better people than I am.

The first roommate I ever had was extremely unorganized and very uncleanly by my standards. Despite the fact that I only had him for eight weeks, he quickly learned that none of that was going to fly with me. I had a bottle of disinfectant and air freshener. I made no secret of opening all of the windows and spraying his area thoroughly. I made sure that he was aware every time and eventually he became embarrassed enough to start putting in more effort.

Since then, I always make sure that I am the first occupant in the apartments that I move into so that I have more leverage. If you claim to be a cleanly person when making an agreement for this apartment, then you will be expected to live up to that claim. I am not even confrontation. I am such a calm spirit, but I will not live in an unsanitary environment. I will call you out before I allow your filth to assault my nostrils. :eusa_snoo

9. thepandaboss

I rent out a room from my boyfriend's mom and we rent out to other people as well.

Well, one roommate we had was a buddy that my boyfriend had gone to school with. He was an okay guy. Also bisexual so we didn't have to worry about him being an asshat about my boyfriend and I.

Well, strike one. He was attracted to my boyfriend. He actually grabbed my boyfriend's ass while they were out in the front yard. Only reason he didn't try to touch my boyfriend again was because my boyfriend practically ripped his head off for doing that. He was also attracted to me. While I was going out to the kitchen one day he actually poked me in the chest (I had taken my binder off) and said, very loudly "boobies!"

Dude was also a complete slob. He was addicted to online MMORPGS and just spent most of the day playing them in his room. It was pretty much all he ever talked about. For the week and a half he stayed at our house, he also didn't shower once. So the dude reeked.

How we got him to leave? As chances had it, his dad got in a fender bender. No major injuries but he needed his son to move back to take care of him. So the dude left. And we never really talked to him again.

10. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    so many horror stories im afraid of getting my own place and having someone room with me lol. may just have a close friend or something anyhow so meh. still living with grandparents right now so no story to share lol...is it bad living with grandparentsat 19? im getting a ton of slack for doing so >.<... I even have a logical reasonable reason why lol. off topic anyhow xD

11. Gandee

Gandee Guest

I don't think anyone would want to be my roommate/flatmate. I was terrible! :lol:
    To give a few examples:
    My new flatmate knocked on the door while I was, uuuuummm, taking care of my physical needs :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. We said hello, then we shook hand.
    I didn't bother doing the dishes.
    I kept trash in my room. My room had the smell of decomposing bodies!
    I was extremely unkempt. I kept my hair long. I looked like a mental patient.
    In my defense, I was at a low point and couldn't care less how I presented to others.

12. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I absolutely loved my housemates! They were also pretty bad. I lived with 6 other people, and only myself and 2 others ever cleaned anything. We actually eventually moved individual sets of dishes into our rooms and left everything else in the sink in the vain hopes that the other 4 would clean them. They bought paper plates. They also smoked, stayed up late blasting music, and had parties during the week but that didn't actually bother me. It didn't even bother me when they would cheer my boyfriend on while we were having sex! XD I miss those guys.

13. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My roommates--all prior best friends--were pretty awesome. Although we had our troubles.

Background: My first roommate was in the dorms at uni. The two of us lived in a single room connected to another room (also containing two girls). Very close quarters, basically five feet away from the other person at all times.

My roommate's boyfriend's spring break happened to be the week before ours. She asked me if he could come stay with us before break and I said yes, expecting it to just be for a couple days. He came up for the full week. I was kicked out a lot, often at the most inconvenient times. I would come back to my room and wouldn't be able to go in. If I wanted to go out but still had my backpack from class, I'd leave it in one of my friend's rooms. More than once I had to stay out until past one in the morning.

As a bonus, when he wasn't there, she had to call him every night before she went to sleep. Every. Night. I would often go to sleep before her, because she'd be up late studying. I can fall asleep just fine with the lights on and someone still working but the one thing I can not fall asleep to is someone in the room talking. She'd try to talk in a low voice but instead it would come out sounding really whiny. It would be 11, 12, 1 in the morning and she'd call him. Sometimes they'd only talk for a few minutes but other times these conversations would stretch on for an hour or two.

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Excluding temporarily living with somebody while visiting, then no, I don't have any "horror" stories to share... well, unless you count my current situation...

Currently, my mother and I share a house. Originally the plan was, I'd move in to my grandmother's house and take care of it, while also working on buying it from her (my grandmother moved in with her new husband). Well, before and during this my mother was starting to come off her drug usage. My mother approached my grandmother about staying with her for a while, until she could get herself up and going... well, my grandmother said she couldn't stay with her, so mom moved in with me.

Considering my past with my mother, it's not too difficult to figure out why this can be problematic. While she isn't nearly as bad as she was before, when under the influence of constant drug usage, there's still obstacles:

For one, we both treat each other more like roommates than parent-child. Secondly, while we don't initiate contact with one another all that often (the design of the house makes this easy), she has a tendency to bring her friends over. Almost all of which are old high school pals and who, more or less, still dabble with drugs and drama. This can be quite annoying, especially since she doesn't like to tell anybody; she has no problem using the "I'm your mother" card here though. You can already tell how annoying that can be...

I've learned how to run her friends off, that's easy. It's the fact I am reminded, every single day, that it is a losing battle to get my mother to do more than tolerate me. She'll talk to me, even work with me, but that's about it. Unless it benefits her to show appreciation to or towards me, she won't. So this has led to a sort of stagnant frustration, that really won't go away unless my mother and I reconcile or one of us leaves -- I intend to buy this house, so it will have to be her.

So, what's the problem? Well, my grandmother wants to help her daughter, that makes sense. But there is an unofficial clause of, my mother can move out when she feels she is ready.

She won't, and she knows I can't do anything about it. This is probably the most infuriating aspect to living with her. Fortunately, we don't see much of one another, so it kind of works out. About the only time we do spend a lot of time together is, if we need to band together to clean up or fix something before my grandmother's weekly check-in.

We make a good team; we're just a terrible family.

15. PM92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I first moved to the UK for uni I was put into a flat with 6 people who had very very little english.... I got used to that until about a month in when i got a visit from an RA saying that the rest of the flat was "deeply distressed" when the heard me up at 4am some mornings... (I'm a nursing student and my placement was 2 hours away). And that they found my shower being on that early an unnecessary distraction.

I shut them all up when I pointed out the fact that the guy in the room beside me would be up have loud aggressive sex with his GF from 9pm until 3:30 am so I couldnt understand how a shower could be distressing when doing your GF up against a paper thing adjoining wall could be anything but.

When my tenancy ended I moved into a studio, could not imagine living with people again....

16. TraceElement

My first college room mate would insist on bringing a friend back to our room that I couldn't stand. So much so that if the friend was in the room when I returned from classes I wouldn't even stay. The friend was a whiny stuck up snob that complained that she had no money even though my roomie said she got money from her parents every week and had a part time job. I asked my roomie if it would be possible to go to her friends dorm room instead of always being in our room, to which she stated "it's my room, so I should be able to have who ever over I want." I had to explain that it was my room as well, and thought it was a reasonable request.
    She had a boyfriend, and didn't even tell me he was coming to visit. I overheard her talking on the phone in the hall to him, and when confronted, she said "oh, yea. He's coming this weekend." This was Thursday night.
    Mid spring semester, she moved out telling me the week of. She said, no lie, "my dad called the housing department and they said that you wouldn't have to pay extra for single occupancy since I'm leaving mid semester."

17. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I once stayed with a guy who slept on an open instant noodle flavouring packet naked and scent its scent for an entire day. His girlfriend wouldn't wash him up and he couldn't seem to get rid of the smell so I had to scrub his back and hair with a bristled brush in the sink. It was far from an intimate experience....

18. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reading all these stories make me so happy that I never considered getting a roommate!

19. CamaroBlack

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    These stories is why I will never have a room mate lol

20. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bunking with 2 of my other brothers in the same small room all throughout middle school. :3

OK, it wasn't that bad but - eh. Boundaries didn't couldn't exist. >_<