1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being LGBT in 2000 vs being LGBT in 2030...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, Jul 18, 2015.

1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We're at the halfway point between the year 2000 and 2030. Even though I can't remember much back in 2000 (since I was only seven), I can still see all the tremendous progress being made regarding LGBT issues. The majority of people in a lot of countries now supports same-sex marriage, which wasn't the case back in 2000. People are more tolerant and accepting of LGBT people, even though there's still a long way to go. More people now know of someone in their personal lives who is gay since they aren't ashamed of hiding their true selves anymore. I also noticed there's a lot of celebrities coming out now than back in 2000. Overall, I'm happy where we are now in society, but I've always wondered where society will be at in 2030 in terms of LGBT acceptance.

I always picture what it will be like in another 15 years. These are some questions that I sometimes think of:

- Do you think same-sex marriage will be vastly accepted by the public and people will look back and wonder why it even was an issue?

- Do you think more people will be out so we can finally see an accurate representation of the population who is LGBT? (Instead of depending on surveys which always gives us a 1-15% estimate)

- Do you think most people will stop being judgmental, intolerant, and hateful bigots regarding LGBT people/issues.

- Do you think gay couples will be seen as "normal" like most people already view straight couples as "normal" and will stop saying, "EWWWW! Gay people are GROSS! Their shoving their gayness down our throats. It's not right...EWWWW!!!!!" whenever they see a gay couple holding hands?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it will improve, but still be far from perfect.

3. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

^^ this will happen everywhere except mine

in 2000 i remembered that being gay is at least permissible by law. But by 2004 some places makes it a crime therefore we can be prosecuted. No change ever since. Even in the beginning of 2015 the Indonesian Ulema Council spread propaganda and express their intent to pass the death penalty bill for gays and to start a nationwide conversion therapy cross my country.

other place will have improvement
    but not mine, its gonna go downhill

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Religious extremists from Oklahoma go back in time, armed with Bibles and shotguns, to stop the gay agenda from taking America Amurricuh.

5. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I hope it gets closer to the point where it's mainstream and just a normal part of society.

When we start teaching the younger generations that its ok to have loving parents -- be it only dads, moms, or a dads and moms -- these generations will accept this and pass it on to their friends, acquaintances, children, and so on.

This is probably comparable to race relations, to some degree. If we take a look at the U.S. today, racism still exists, but it is definitely shunned upon and is the minority. I am hoping in 2030 that non-straight prejudices are dwindling just the same -- that is, most of society is accepting and treats non-straight folks with respect just like any other straight human being.

Being not-straight should have no more control over your life or bearing on your decisions than say your height or favorite color. These are just more attributes that make you, you.

I wonder how this will relate to "coming out of the closet" though. I doubt this "event" will be gone in 2030, but I'm hoping it's far easier, or just a really small step that everyone praises.

But, when is it expected for a child to make a choice, or how are they accepted in society if they are having trouble deciding what their orientation is? How do you define orientation? This seems especially difficult with the fluidity of orientation. These are questions that we need people to be more aware of and have tips for mainstream folks to better understand themselves. I'm definitely no expert, but I think if everyone was more aware of what orientation means, then they would be more accepting of others. (&&&)

6. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it will get closer to the point where it is totally accepted, but I don't see it being totally perfect yet.

7. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Hehehe. I like that! Do you have a good camera? I want to get it on tape.

8. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I never thought about that, but you're probably right. Coming out of the closet is scary for many people today, but it's possible that the whole "coming out" phase would be far less stigmatized in the future and almost every response may be "Oh ok, no big deal. We still love you" like it should be today. It'll probably take many, many decades before that will happen though.

9. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hmmm, i got a different opinion about it. since we're becoming more accepted into "society", i don't think a lot of gays now would become adjusted very easily. probably even in the future. they've had all these ways of being in the closet and become accustomed to stuff like cruising for so long that now it's out in the open, it is more or less a cultural bombshell. it's going to take a while for people to become adjusted to the idea, in whatever sexual orientation that seems to care. i do think there might be a better education in helping other people in learning about themselves and whether or not they are LGBT. I don't think there could be an accurate estimate for sure. i'd like to say history repeats itself, just different principles. makes me wonder what the future holds in that kind of setting.

10. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think it will improve, but maybe not as much as we'd hope. It will get worse in some areas but nicer in others.

11. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Maybe it'll get better but there's still gonna be people who will disapprove of it because that's what they were raised to believe and letting go of that is hard for a lot of people. I think that maybe the homosexuals will be more accepted into society than the transgender people because that topic is still being debated and more people find homosexuality normal than being transgender. I say, we still have more to go when it comes to full acceptance of the LGBT community.

12. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    According to my school, it will get much worse for us (and some Christians), they said the Rapture would be this year or next year... a few years in a row.

They are wrong, it will get better, then humanity will do something very stupid like the dinos and almost wipe ourself out.

13. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. For the most part, yes, I think it will be. Obviously there are still going to be bigots, but most of them will be able to realize that they themselves and their agenda are both dying out rapidly. In 15 years, I think same sex marriage will have around a 75-80% approval rating, and perhaps higher if polls keep on the same trend. We still need to fight for things such as ENDA even after the recent court ruling, but I believe that by 2030 ENDA will be in effect, and perhaps maybe even the MSM blood ban will be lifted.

2. More people will definitely be out for sure, but the media has always had a problem with staying very white hetero cis-male oriented. Even if more people are coming out, it'll probably be a few years after this that LGBTQ characters and talking heads in media start to have accurate representation.

3. Most, but not all. Like I said earlier, most bigots are dying off, and with more kids today being brought up without the overbearing influence of religion, and with certain denominations learning to accept LGBTQ people, younger generations are more than likely going to support LGBTQ rights overwhelmingly.

4. It depends. Many people have a type of attitude about gay people reminiscent of "I'm okay with you doing your thing in private, but don't go out and hold hands and kiss in public, because that's straight territory. While a majority of people support marriage equality, many do not support gay PDAs, and that opinion will need to change for that to happen.

In 2030, we will still have a way to go until we reach full equality, and there will still need to be remedies for many of the overlooked anti-LGBTQ biases in society (for example, did you know LGBTQ people earn on average 75% of what their straight counterparts earn in wages? Not many actually know about the LGBTQ wage-gap. There's also a misrepresentation of LGBTQ people in the justice system, as LGBTQ people are more likely to be arrested for certain offenses than their straight peers), but compared to 2000, the world will be very much more accepting of LGBTQ people.

14. MetalRice

I think it'll only get better as time goes on, the tide is already in our favor; and it will only keep rushing down the river.

15. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Damn and here I wanted to hijack the DeLorean.

16. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    In many places it will likely have become commonplace and would therefor not be surprising to most people living in those locations anymore. Some countries however seem to be taking steps backwards in relation to LGBT rights so it is less likely that we would see global acceptance of something like same-sex marriage in as little as 15 years.

I do think more people will be out and we will have somewhat more accurate figures. No statistic is ever completely accurate anyway. There are some factors that would make it difficult to measure. There will always be some who do not wish to label themselves or simply do not discuss their sexuality/identity openly for personal reasons, whether or not they are LGBT themselves. Also the process of figuring out one's sexuality (particularly for young people who are still figuring out a lot of things) can be confusing regardless of how much acceptance they anticipate when they come out. I think we will see an increase in the number of people who are out as 'questioning' once this is no longer something that comes with an element of shame. What I really hope does not happen is that people may face increased pressure to be sure of their sexuality by a certain point or be labeled fickle for still feeling confused after some time.

Most people yes, as accepting attitudes gradually become more the norm and intolerant ones a smaller minority. You never truly get rid of bigotry though; there will always be some people who cling to hateful ideas just for the sake of it. There are some people alive today who will say they don't think women should have been given the vote or want to bring back slavery, despite being born and raised in a generation when such attitudes have long since been left behind by the general population. However, as the popular view shifts these individuals tend to lose more and more credibility and become more obvious for what they really are: simply bigots, with nothing relevant to contribute.

As above, such attitudes would hopefully become less commonplace and thus the person demonstrating them more looked down upon by the majority. Of course there still exists the dangers that homophobic movements can go underground (those who cling to bigoted views but do not express them openly for fear of being socially ostracized have a tendency to take it rather personally: "WAHHH I'm all angry at the gays because I'm not allowed to hit them anymore s'not fair!" etc). But then this is always a risk with any form of progress.

There may also be different degrees of acceptance, depending on which group. At the moment, the level of public acceptance for homosexuality and bisexuality seems to be on the increase, whereas a better understanding of transgender issues is lagging behind somewhat by comparison. It is harder for people to challenge their fixed views on gender than it is orientation, you can see this reflected in the levels of hostility directed at public transgender individuals/stories in the news.
    Understanding of asexually is still considered relatively 'new' by both the public and medical communities, and indeed many of the general public are still completely unfamiliar even with the term itself. Thus asexual people or those questioning asexuality also tend to frequently encounter misconceptions or an air of derision or disbelief, compared to other sexualities, and probably will continue to do so until it is better understood.

Overall, I am cautiously optimistic for the future.

On a side note; we are more than half way through the year 2015... and yet where are the flying cars, self-drying clothes, expanding mini pizzas and hover boards promised by Back to the Future Part II damnit?!!

17. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's getting better in North America and some countries in Europe, but hopefully words like 'fag' and 'tranny' will be more frowned upon, and dumbasses in the south won't lower flags disrespectfully over rightful marriage equality. I hope that by the time I graduate, trans people will not be seem as so-called 'freaks' by as many people. At least there's that awesome talk show episode where John Oliver really sticks it to the bigots and calls them out for the idiots they are. Again, it's sad that equality and human rights should even be such a debated issue at all; it should just be.

18. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks BryanM and TigerInATophat for taking the time to answer all my questions. I enjoyed reading them. :slight_smile: