1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone knowlegable in invisible fence?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Akira12, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    so my grandparents got this invisble fencing to keep our 2 guard dogs contained on our property at our new house since the neighbors have 2big shepherd's and we don't want them fighting and such. my question is...with the fencing around thep roperty line will the dogs go thru the fence to get away from the shocks or will they turn around and go the other direction? will they be okay? our oldest one doesn't even want to go outside cause of the shocks he received when he tried going past the fence...will he be okay and get back to being his cheerful self again? will they learn to not go close to the fence? im so so very worried they'll go thru the fence when they get shocked to get away from the shocks but if they do that the shocks will keep getting worse or something else could happen or they might not ever come back to us..im terrified honestly. so please..anyone with knowledge on this subject explain in depth of my questions? im not gonna be sleeping tonight cause im to afraid there gonna not be there in the morning. also what if the our youngest one whos still a puppy sees a coyote or rabbit and wants to chase it and she gets to the property line and gets shocked...will she stop and go back the other direction or keep going?

2. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Sometimes, dogs can get stuck outside the perimeter. However, my experience is that this situation is temporary. Eventually, they brave the shock just to get back home. Why? Because it's their home. They smell the scent of their territorial markings, there, and everything. Your dogs would rather brave the shock than be stuck in an unfamiliar area.

Even if your dogs were to get stuck, they'd stay near home, so you'd just end up searching the area on foot and getting covered in ticks, which is a shockingly embarrassing situation where you're walking around an area shouting their names for hours. They are virtually always safe somewhere nearby, though.

The best thing is to consult the training manual, and keep training the dogs to understand how the fence actually works. Sometimes, people who are new to invisible fence technology don't fully comprehend how frightening and confusing the fence is to the dog who isn't accustomed to it, but the animal trusts you deeply. If you train the animal intensively, it will probably end up being a pleasure for the animal. The attention is good for them, and they actually understand that they are learning a skill; if human children loved learning as much as dogs do, we'd be settling other planets in no time. The best thing you can do for the dogs is to train them, train them, and train them some more.

Personally, I prefer just keeping dogs indoors, myself. You have to walk them, but you need the exercise. It rains, but it's better being rained on together than rained on alone. Carpet can be replaced. If that's not really an option, though, then sometimes the invisible fence is the best thing you can do.

#2 Christiaan, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  3. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    yea I get your point but we don't have the time to train them this is the second day and the first actually sleeping over at this new house. im afraid they'll try to escape and brave the hock to try to get back to the old house even though the animals and everything are here. there Anatolian shepherds' livesock guardians. im hoping with all the animals and our stuff over here they'll settle down and stay on the property or back away when getting shocked from the collar. im just freaking out worries they'll try to go thru the fence and find there way back to the old place that they lived at for 6 years now. will they stay here and not take off? im so very terrified I love the dogs to death and feel horrible for doing this to them. nothing else we can do though since we don't have the field fencing up yet and its just me and my grandma. I feel like such a monster for letting them get shocked but idk what else to do to keep them contained on our property. cant keep them in the house they'll keep barking wanting out to go keep the animals safe since that's there job but yea im very very terrified.