1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobia of Drag Queens?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Jul 20, 2015.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, I know this will sound funny, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but I have a phobia of drag-queens, and find them scary the same way people find clows scary. It's not that I have a problem with men dressing as women, but something else that sends a shiver.

That, and the ones I've met here have been really mean, bitchy and caddy. I know that's part of the persona, but I find it tiresome, and among the aspects of the 'gay community' that I dislike in gneral: a kind of cold, dismissive cattiness that masks exploring genuine emotion.

My mate was watching the show Ru Pauls Drag Race, or whatver it's called, and I found myself sorta quesy, over how stereotyped the whole thing was, and the non-stop bitchiness and back-biting. Just listening to them gave me the shivers; and they way they have to always do stuff by such gblase mainstream pop-idols made me also feel like this was some weird thing that simply baffled me.

So I basically have a fear of drag queens, and when I'm one the gay part of town, which is a matter of blocks away, I always feel this sweeping fear when I pass one, like I do with spiders and centipedes.

I try not to, but it just wells up, and beyond the analysis I've tried to provide as to why, it's a very viceral reaction, that apperas beyong mere logic and reason.

The best way I can put it is they seem like really, mean, scary clowns.

I don't at all mind people merely dressing as whatver sex/gender they like, or points inbetween, so I'm not sure this phobia has a name, but there it is.

#1 HuskyPup, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  2. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    How did that develop? I mean, I've seen a few of 'em before walking around in the mall and I'm sorry but all I can do is stare. I guess it's 'cause it's not something you expect to see everyday around here so just the sight of one is really something to behold. That said, while I find it a little strange it's not something that really disturbs me. Though, I guess all that make-up on their face is just not something that's too pretty to look at and does seem a bit clownish when taken a bit too far...

3. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure how it developed; I think in part, because the ones I met were so mean, and it reminded me of what I tend to like least about 'gay culture': I'm also not at all a fan of gay bars, and all the stereotypes, so that's part of it, I guess. They seem like these grotesque, leering growths, springing from the dark abyss of days gone by, when gays inhabited a seedy underworld, confined to the margins of sordid bathhouses, bars and confined to gay ghettos in big cities.

And yet, there also seems to be this deeper, irrational part...

4. Joelouis

Perhaps your fear you have of drag queens is more of intimidation?
    Though I'm not scared of them, I can relate to what you say.

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you may be onto something there! Baltimore can be both a very friendly yet also rough town; that certainly plays a part. That, and all the hard drugs that seem so endemic to gay bars here (well, many bars just in general) also adds a patina of the ominous. Not that I'm any sort of prude; Keith Richards would no doubt admire many of my wilder antics :slight_smile:

6. thepandaboss

I can actually get where you're coming from. For me it's not really so much a phobia but a resentment. People lump drag queens and drag kings in with trans people. Plus, I don't like how catty the gay community can be sometimes. Lip synching and loud music isn't my scene either.

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is what I've wondered. ^ How do drag queens not piss off the trans. community? It feels like they are mocking trans. people to a degree. Someone told me, "you'll get used to them"...Still haven't. I mean some of them are funny, but you don't have to dress like a woman to be funny. I did take pictures of them at Pride, but it was more because it was a novelty than anything. I had never seen one in person before.

Listen, it's a free country, and they can do whatever they want. I don't care, and it's not like they are doing anything illegal. But they do just creep me out.

8. thepandaboss

I mean, I knew a lot of trans people who used to be drag queens/kings. But at the same time, a lot of dragsters have been kinda catty towards trans people. Like Mr. Rue "I can say the t word and you bitches are whiny" Paul. Most of the humor tends to be "oh look I'm a man dressed like a woman" too. Plus, the word 'fierce' really drives me nutty because it got beaten more than a fly encrusted horse corpse by the drag queens.

9. Van

Van

Why would anyone fear a drag queen? :eek: I'm obsessed with drag queens and drag culture, they're so much fun.

Seriously? :jawdrop: Like... are you for real? :dry:

[​IMG]

#9 Van, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  10. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I am just trying to be a good trans. ally because they go through enough hell.

11. Im Hazel

I'm fine with drag queens. They don't mock trans* culture, they're seperate from it. It's just an act - a bit of fun.

12. Foz

Foz Guest

I've always wondered if anyone had a drag queen phobia, it isn't entirely impossible; as you say some people have a clown phobia, indeed the OTT makeup can look a bit clownish. I really don't see how it's seen as insulting to the trans community, that's like saying my straight friend who played a gay character in a play offended me. That said the clueless lefty lunatics at the National Union of Students passed a motion recently to ban drag acts from all NUS affiliated universities (90% of UK unis) which is just outrageous; just because someone says "that's offensive" doesn't mean it actually is.

13. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I am trans. I have nothing against drag queens and I don't think they invalidate me, because we are not relatable - they dress like the opposite sex, I am the "opposite/contary" gender. I think most of them are probably really nice people.

To say "You are X, therefore I fear you" is the definition of xenophobia.
    Don't blame yourself for it, but work on it, it's wrong.

14. lettuce

When I was growing up, I was taught that drag queens, transvestites and trans people were basically the same thing. I thought that all trans people had to be like a stereotypical drag queen and since I wasn't like that I found it a lot harder to come to terms with how I felt. Eventually when I realized what being trans actually meant I was able to reconcile with my gender identity and discard my old preconceptions.

I guess because of that I have a little bit of resentment towards drag queens. It's totally not their fault, and they have every right to express themselves the way they want to, but it's just the way I feel. Hopefully when I'm more comfortable with myself I'll be able to move past these feelings, because it kind of makes me feel like a bigot.

Still, I don't really dislike or fear people for being drag queens. It's more that I'm just uncomfortable when I'm exposed to it.
    I think it's more about poking fun at gender roles and stereotypes, but that can sometimes bleed into invalidating people's gender identities. Still, drag itself isn't mocking any group of people.

15. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The only thing for me is when the uninformed common people think drag is the same as trans, and look and trans people like "oh, they're just playing" and use it as a mental excuse to not take them seriously. They don't look at it hard enough to know that they're separate.

I don't think this would be a problem if people weren't so poorly educated on trans issues, but the majority of people are.

It's sort of like the difference between a marshmallow gun and pistol. One's for play, and the other is the real thing. Society doesn't get these two mixed up though, because there's much more education on firearms.

16. Cider

Doing drag is kind of like being an actor, or having a different personality on stage. The best example I can think of is Roger from American Dad. (If that's accurate)

Try watching Buzzfeed's two drag King/Queen videos, it shows you what they do to prepare and how they perform. Before I watched the videos I honestly had no idea what they did.

Oh, and also I used to feel the same way, not really understanding them and feelings a bit uncomfortable, but now that I've done research that feeling has gone away :slight_smile:

#16 Cider, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  17. Gen

Gen

Drag queens accept personas that are meant to challenge gender norms. The whole point of a drag queen is that they are over the top in their flamboyance because they were used as a way to poke fun at stereotypes and stigma surrounding the LGBTQ community.

The point of a drag queen is not to laugh at men in makeup and dresses. When heterosexual men dress up as women make deliberate effects to encourage stigma by making it a matter of "isn't it funny that I have a penis and I am in a dress" that is transphobic because the objective is to paint breaking gender roles as creepy and laughable. When people in the LGBTQ present themselves as drag queens who go out of their way to look glamorous and embrace their femininity, they are not making a mockery of breaking gender roles.

Ultimately, their characters are not extreme because they are mocking femininity or breaking norms. They are extreme because they want their flamboyance to be in the face of society and the people that see them almost as an act of defiance. If that makes sense.

18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sorta does, but they dwell on so many of the gay stereotypes I most dislike, and an amped up cocaine/club drug use, it makes me iffy about the whole thing, at least here. And they can be so emotionally cold.

It's all OK, people have hard lives, and do what they can to live.

It just makes me kinda feel sad, and like I don't belong in the gay 'community'; it's one more sense in which I feel isolated and disenfranchised. But Roo Paul is makin' his money, so I guess that's all that mattes in the U$A.

19. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just hate the exaggerated makeup, but then again, that applies to both men AND women.

20. Solitaire

I think I get what you mean
    like drag queens can have that really rude and stereotypical behaviour that can be very intimdating and annoying
    I personally don't like drag queens either
    mainly just because it doesnt really take any talent to be bitchy and lip sync to bad pop music :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: