1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini rant: the affinity for 'high fashion' brand clothing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RemakeJake, Jul 20, 2015.

1. RemakeJake

I will never, ever understand how people spend their hard-earned money on name brand clothes. I guess if you're an overpaid actress or director (whom are all overpaid), it makes more sense, but nonetheless. I respect a well-made piece of clothing but if I’m spending over $300 on a single pair of pants they better add 15 pounds of muscle, wash my floors, and cook for me. You can get nicely tailored pants for well under $75.

Some items are certainly worth their money. Good winter boots, if you live in a place with extreme weather, are worth the investment. A raincoat that is actually waterproof is invaluable. Jeans that you can wear with almost every outfit are worth some good $$$. But given how fast "what's in" changes, is it really worth dropping money on whatever is ‘hot', nowing it will be old news in a few months? I just think that if someone is willing to spend $300 on a wallet just because it has a notable name etched into it... maybe they should spend that money on therapy, I don't know.

2. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's totally a status thing. And I have tried to dress better since coming out to get noticed. I won't lie. For some of us, I think it stems from body image issues. It does for me I think.

3. AlamoCity

Well, some well-made items can last a long time and remain classic. The issue is spending money on "trendy" items that will only last for a year or so. I have a relatively small wardrobe , but they all last because they aren't trendy.

I do have a couple of "luxury" items. One of my favorite is a solid red woven Ferragamo tie. It is the quintessential "power tie." You cannot wear it and not get attention and respect :lol:. Even though it is a well-made and high-end tie, it doesn't scream any particular fashion house's name is its more subtle than having a Burberry tie with its famous plaid pattern. There are also a couple of Turnbull & Asser shirts I have that I use when I need to "make an impression." That said, the majority of my wardrobe is made of middle-of-the-road brands like Polo and Brooks Brothers. On many goods, the marginal quality difference is not worth the marginal price difference to upgrade from middle to high end brands. That said, I almost always buy my clothes on clearance because I want quality clothes at Walmart prices :lol:.

4. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's all a matter of interests. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Some people spend their money on clothes, some people spend their money on model trains, or video games, etc.

The only clothing I buy which is especially expensive, is my socks :lol: The pairs I buy usually run for around twenty bucks. I know how insane that sounds, but they are all at least 60 percent wool, and are extremely durable. One brand that I buy (Darn Tough) has a lifetime guarantee for all of their socks. I've tried everything to wear my favourite pair down, but they won't die!

If I were to buy multipacks of cotton socks, it would cost me more due to how fast I go through them. For me, quality footsie-containers are a smart investment. Also they keep my feet warm in winter, which is as close to happiness as I'm going to get.

#4 Batman, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  5. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wouldn't spend an exorbitant amount of money on a fashion item simply because it's "in". However, I am not averse to dropping stacks on some nice clothing. I do find the quality increases, to a point, until you're simply paying more for the name or the designer. But I am not ashamed to admit I own some $180 jeans. I truly consider them far superior to anything I've ever owned in the past.

6. lesbian0pixie

Oh god I feel like such a geek right now >.<

Most of my clothes are from the clearance rack at Target, and cost under $5. I think I look pretty cute, I like my clothes. I couldn't even imagine spending $75 dollars on a single garment of clothing, let alone $300.

7. AlamoCity

I'm just curious: how does what one spends on clothes determine whether or not someone is a geek? :lol:

8. Ardi

Out Status:
    Some people
    From what I've noticed, it is either one of two things, with the scale tipping towards one side: a 'status' thing, like biguy8 has said, which I think is the bigger reason why... and the other being because they just really like that name brand and that leads them to buying that article of clothing regardless of the price. I mean, it's their money, they can do whatever they want with it... but I do agree with you, that spending so much money for a piece of clothing is a bit excessive, but whatever.

9. Incognito10

Some people have a very high disposable income and that $300 dollar pair of pants is not really a big issue.

As mentioned above, there are some more pricey clothes brands out there but smart shoppers need to understand when they're just paying for a "brand" and not really paying for quality. Sometimes there really isn't much difference between the cheaper shirt and the very expensive one in terms of quality.

#9 Incognito10, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I buy what I like.

I've seen some fashion shows and a lot of the "fashionable" stuff leaves me baffled. Much of it doesn't even look practical.

I'd rather spend the extra money I'd drop on high class clothes, and take you out to a high class meal. But maybe I'm just weird..

11. Chi and Bashful

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Shit I've never really got the concept o if I like something and is $20 fuck it it's mine and I'll wear the fuck outta it if you wanna spend a ton of money on clothes... it's your life if you like it I love it

12. RemakeJake

Aw well good for you for making an effort. I broke out of my aesthetic shell a few years ago myself, and it can be done very effectively if you're a smart shopper :slight_smile: I highly, HIGHLY recommend ASOS.com. Very nice-looking but you can get some really amazing deals if you're patient.

---------- Post added 21st Jul 2015 at 09:06 AM ----------

Haha I can relate because I actually shell out on underwear :lol: :lol: :smilewave some people would never pay $40 for a pair but for such an important article of clothing, I find it well worth it.

13. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't understand it either. Hell, my shirts literally cost 5$ each xD Anyway, it just seems like a waste of money to me.

With 300$, I could buy 60 T-shirts, a new pair of glasses, 30 pair of shorts, a new game console, my school session ect. Heck, I'm sure I could pay my gender marker change with that money.

Spending it on a single pair of jeans seems just INSANE to me. I don't say that buying slightly more expensive clothing can't be useful. It'd might more be more comfortable/last longer/look better, but 300$ for single piece? It's money thrown over the window.

14. Psaurus918

I don't understand why people care about what other people spend money on. If we all spent money on the same thing the world would be a boring place.

If someone wants to spent $300 on a pair of jeans and they're paying for it, what business of if is yours?!

Also if you think $300 is a lot for jeans you'd crap your pants if you knew how much some of my friends spend on theirs

15. alilnervous

I get it to a certain extent, but I wouldn't waste money on brand clothing. Really wouldn't fit in with punk ethos tbh!

16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't recall the last time I spent more than $40 on any piece of clothing...but I spent $150 on a 45rpm record. It's all a matter of "what you're into". Was the record worth $150? Well, it was worth $150 to ME. :slight_smile:

Lex

17. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because thrifty is my middle name, I do want to add that I get much of my stylish clothes at garage sales. You'd be surprised what people put out for really cheap sometimes. Last weekend, I got a nice pair of dockers and two polo shirts for $5. I have a certain website source, but I am not sure I'd be allowed to share it. Even if I was allowed to share it, I am not sure I'd want to spoil the secret. :grin:

18. Burnedcloset

It's a definetly a status thing. As a gypsy, it's very important to have name brand flashy clothes.

Gucci, Versace, Christian Louis bouton, ferragamo, and brands like that are the type of things gypsies spend stuff on. Gypsies will have a higher chance of getting married if they have those things on at a party. The family's will be worth more because they put their children/teens in those brands to make them appeal more.

Personally, I don't care very much. I own a lot of stuff in some of those brands. When I was younger I cared. I'm very different then I was 2-4 years ago and I really don't care anymore. My parents insist on buying me these things so I don't decline. I figure maybe I can sell them one day if I can get them when I move.

I'm not gonna lie though. I do want one pair of Christian Louis bourbons one day. Super gay but....I just want the red bottoms.

19. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Even as a step-up, one can't forget about stores like Ross and Marshall's that offer much better prices of brand-name items. I've been able to get some nice stuff there before, stuff that would've cost much more at Nordstrom.