1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I use the male restroom?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LemonadeXxx, Jul 20, 2015.

1. LemonadeXxx

LemonadeXxx Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi, haha I haven't been here in forever. I forgot this site existed and that I can ask questions here (wow I don't have to suffer in silence haha).

So I cut my hair, my mother isn't too happy about that. But I have a boyish haircut, I remember how I said that my mother and stepfather didn't want me to cut my hair.

Soooo....I guess I wanted to know if I could use the male restroom. Of course not when I'm out with my family because they don't know. But when school starts up again, is that okay? Or in the mall or something? I look like a chick, I don't want the guys in the bathroom to feel weird or uncomfortable. And well, I don't want to get beat up or worse (I mean, I can always shoot them...on second thought, nah bad idea). I just want to see if I try to embrace more masculine behaviors and things and if this stuff is really going to work out. If that makes sense. Haha I'm a wreck :slight_smile:

2. thepandaboss

Personally, I never had too many problems. But you are seventeen and you have to consider your state. Get in touch with your school's guidance counselor and explain situation. It may help if you can get in to see a gender therapist (some schools may demand a diagnosis of gender dysohoria but it can depend on your state).

Out in public, I guess? But I don't know what the laws are in your area. Just keep it cool and try not to make a big deal out of using the men's room.

3. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As someone who just uses whichever bathroom is closest I've learned that, if you're confident, no one gives a shit. And if they're single stall bathroom, the gender on the door doesn't matter at all. Act like you belong there, and no one will tell you otherwise. No one wants to talk while they're pissing.

Of course this all depends on the people in your area, and how confrontational they are. Additionally you said that you "look like a chick". If you do wish to infiltrate the waste room of males, I recommend wearing something not heavily associated with females (eg, a floral print flowy dress) But hey, you do you. Use your own judgement.

#3 Batman, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  4. LemonadeXxx

LemonadeXxx Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want to, that's up to you. I've been using the men's restroom for about a year now, and I've yet to have any problems. If you feel like you might be unsafe, see if the place you're at has a family restroom.

I've gotten lucky 8/10 and I have the whole restroom to myself. The first time I wasn't alone, it was nearing my way out when an older guy game in. He didn't even notice me. He probably thought I was weird for taking bathroom selfies, but he didn't say anything. The second time, there were maybe three or four guys in there, and none of them really noticed me. One guy did look over his shoulder (I guess we all instinctively do that when people come up behind us), but nobody said anything or gave me problems.

I'll say this. In the run ins I've had, nobody will look at you weird if you use a stall or pee sitting down. Plenty of guys do it, and I doubt people will be creepy with you. So if you don't have an STP, or that's not your thing, you should be fine. As Batman said (I didn't know how long I've wanted to say that until just now), being confident helps a lot. If you're worried about getting weird looks, try wearing something like a hoodie when you go in to kind of shroud yourself.

Regarding school, I second what thepandaboss said. Get in touch with your guidance counselor to see if this would be a problem or not, and explain your situation. If you want to do this before the year begins, see if you can get in touch with someone at the school to know if you can get their contact information. If you're seeing a gender therapist, they should be able to provide you with up-to-date information on how the laws work in your state.

6. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

To be honest I'd advise against it, especially at school. You're just risking getting in trouble or possibly harassed to make a statement that really isnt worth the effort. I'm not sure why people think that where you piss has anything to do with gender, because it doesn't. I know its a horribly annoying pain using the wrong bathroom but it will be easier in the long run. Better yet, you could try avoiding public bathrooms altogether!~ =D

7. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's just something that you should know comes with risks. If you do ostensibility look like the gender opposite of what the bathroom is intended for, you put yourself at risk.

[​IMG]

Even cis folk hate public bathrooms...

8. thepandaboss

I hate to say it buddy, but if you want anything out of this life you've gotta be your own advocate. No one can help you until you say something and you don't have a horse in the race until you try. If you're denied the right to use facilities that match your gender identity, you can fight against it with legal resources or protest. But by doing nothing, you get nothing.

9. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't see the at-school part. School bathrooms you should probably avoid for two reasons. 1) teenagers have terrible hygiene and their communal washrooms are scary 2) People will know who you are, which eliminates the blending in ability.

Public buildings where you have gender anonymity, like malls, should be fine.

10. Rochelle86

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I may have walked into the wrong washroom once or twice. I look forward to the day I can freelg use the womans room. Urinals are so gross.

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. If you want to get somewhere, you need to do something about it.