1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tattoo symbol

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hopeful, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Hopeful

Hello!

I'm designing my first tattoo and wonder if you guys have any suggestions for me?

I'm still in the planning process, but right now I want to use a quote from the song Gracie by Ben Folds. He's always been one of my favorite artists and is a great pianist - much better than I am.

The quote is: "Life flies by in seconds."

I'd like to use some kind of symbol with it. A bird is a little obvious, but could work. I originally want to do a quote with a daisy but I think this quote needs something different. When I came up with the quote I thought of doing it in two or three lines with an outline of a bird around it or with the quote taking over the bird with the wings and head and tail all that's really showing.

Now I'm not so sure what I think. I could do the quote in a circle to sort of represent infinity/time - but I don't know. Maybe something else entirely will come to mind.

Any ideas?

I'm also having a little trouble deciding WHERE on my body I'd like to tattoo. I want it to be somewhere inconspicuous but also easy to "show off" when wanted. I've thought maybe my upper arm/shoulder or inner bicep. Possibly an ankle... but I'll probably do something there later instead. The back of the shoulder or neck is a cool placement but I'd like to be able to see my tattoo. If I do this tattoo in a straight line just as a quote, I could do it right down my inner bicep so that I can read it and show it off when I want.

Even if you don't really have any ideas for me, please share your experiences and let me know if you have any advice for placements that are good or bad!! I'd love to hear. :slight_smile:

2. Hopeful

Or - what do YOU have for tattoos and where do you have them??

3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a Chinese "dragon" symbol on my right ankle, a galloping horse on my left shoulderblade and a heart, cross, anchor (Faith, hope, love) tattoo on my inner right forearm . The Chinese symbol and horse are just black and the faith, love, hope tattoo is in colour (Red heart and green cross, anchor is black though).

How about an hourglass symbol to go with the quote?

4. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How about a clock with wings?

I don't have any tattoos... YET! I keep visioning myself covered head to toe in some language with symbols representing the chakras. What the words say, I have no clue. I'll know when I get there.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My personal opinion is that I think text in tattoos doesn't usually look good, or incorporated into other symbols is okay only case-by-case. A girl I know got a bicep tattoo with straight words and I hate it >.< Good place/design for being able to see it, but meh. Not to mention putting text in the shape of an infinity sign is a common idea, and in the context of your quote, is pretty contradictory.

Birds are nice though. They are beautiful and fly, which is a rare combination for most animals lol. But sometimes simple is good-- as long as it reminds you of the quote it does its job. And as a foot fancier myself, you can never go wrong with the ankle for placement. :wink:

#5 Argentwing, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  6. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I made this design just for you :slight_smile:
    [​IMG]

The flying butterflies represents life leaving the person (the woman). You said birds are too obvious so I go to the 2nd next most beautiful flying creature :slight_smile: IMO this design would look good in your forearm.