1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home or unschoolers?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hopeful, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Hopeful

Hello!

Any other homeschoolers or unschoolers out there?

I grew up homeschooled, though it was really more like unschooling since my mother didn't give me a curriculum and I followed the things I chose to follow. Funny, because I really wanted a structured curriculum and didn't have one but I'm happy with how my "schooling" went.

I ended up getting my GED - didn't plan things out with the school district to receive a diploma through them.

I'm now 22 and a licensed EMT and taking my Advanced EMT class. No college otherwise, but my plans for the future may involve Paramedic school and/or nursing/tech school of some sort. I had no idea what I wanted to do at 18 and still don't really, so I'm taking things one step at a time.

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did homeschooling for about two or three years (the second half of 7th grade, 8th grade, and 12th grade), and I much preferred cyber charters over going into a physical school.

I got to work on my own schedule and my own pace. I think one year I finished a month or two of science work in an afternoon, and I was on point with keeping my grades up to the point where I was exempt from most of my exams my senior year; with the only ones I needed to take at the very end of the year (my latin magister forgot to exempt me from a winter exam, so I took it for no real reason). I didn't attend my graduation, so my diploma was mailed to me sometime later.

As far as college goes, it's not for me and I've come to terms with that. While I still plan on getting into the visual arts (in this moment in time), I intend on doing being self-taught or doing hands on work like a friend of mine who is also an aspiring filmmaker. My friend just got his GED recently, and he's also planning on becoming an EMT oddly enough. I sometimes feel left behind, since most of the people I went to school with already have their lives planned out, and I still have no solid plan as to where I'm going, and I haven't touched a text book in four years.

3. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Homeschooled from part of 1st grade all the way to 12th grade.

I don't know how I to feel about it. It seriously set me back from social learning, even though I did go to after school programs and summer camps. It's sad to think about. I felt like such a freak, and I had no lasting friendships with other people who were like me, so there was no one that I could talk to. I'm totally in the closet about it when I meet new people. I haven't been asked about my schooling background in years- thank god! I don't even know what I would say. I don't want to ever be treated differently because of that fact again. Sorry, if I went off on a tangent. It's nice to be able to vent.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish I had been unschooled... Oh well.

I like to think I still maintained some radicalism and at least partially unfucked myself from public schooling.

~ Adrienne

5. Hopeful

I definitely think I was very socially awkward and intimidated by people just by nature, but homeschooling definitely didn't help that. I'm a good faker now and I've gotten used to it - my job requires me to interact with people all the time!

I always hated the "What school do you go to?" or "Why aren't you in school?" or even better: "What's your favorite subject/class?". Now that I've been out of the "school system" for a few years it doesn't come up in conversation much and when people find out I was homeschooled they're sort of surprised or will ask some questions.

I definitely understand where you're coming from with the social learning and not having friends like you - I was lucky enough to be close to two other homeschooled girls. One of whom moved back home and lives 10 minutes from me (but is married and her husband is a total space cadet... it's awkward) and the other lives in New Mexico (I'm in New Hampshire) and is currently in Europe for the summer. She's the one who is much more like me in some ways - probably a good thing she's not the one close or I may have lost touch with the other friend who lives near me.

6. MetalRice

I'm homeschooled; it's helped and hurt me in certain ways.

7. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh yeah, and for college, I plan to go first to an art school and then another school that is very alternative and dare I say, new agey. These are pretty much the only type of schools that I could go to, because they don't require SAT/ACT. My family lead me to believe that I didn't need to take them, and they have refused to allow me to take them. Thankfully, I actually am interested in the mentioned above fields, so it's not all bad. The scholarship thing is pretty bad though. It's either prove my NA ancestry or a look into the Pell Grant.

8. thepandaboss

I homeschooled through high school. Hated it.

9. Hopeful

What has helped and hurt you?

The lack of socialization hurt me (my mom did belong to a couple of "homeschool groups" when I was young and I saw a lot of friends that way).

I loved not having to spend all day in a classroom, though. I spent most of my childhood reading. I learned a LOT from books. I especially loved historical fiction. I had to keep a booklist of all the books I'd read and some years I read over 400 books. I do appreciate having had the chance to spend my days playing outside with friends and reading with a bit of math and whatever else my mom would come up with thrown in here and there.

So many kids now have a hard time spelling and writing - and I think it's because a lot of kids just don't like to read. I can't imagine not liking to read. I get really sad when I'm busy with work and class and don't have the time to read - it's so depressing! Reading so much really taught me how to write and spell.

---------- Post added 21st Jul 2015 at 01:09 AM ----------

PlantSoul -

I did take the SATs and didn't get a very high score. Even on the reading and writing parts. Funny, because when I took the GED I took a 100% on the reading comprehension. My sister who is three years younger than me and just finished her first year at UNH, graduated from HS as valedictorian and got high scores on her SATs. Made me feel kind of like a loser last year... Here I was, working part time as a lifeguard and swim instructor and yes, taking my EMT course, but I wasn't in college otherwise.

I'm happy with my life right now, though.

I'm currently a volunteer EMT, work for a landscape designer and will hopefully this fall be finding a (paying) job as an AEMT.

10. MetalRice

Well, I have several very serious health problems (including a heart defect that I have had major surgery to repair twice in my life), so being homeschooled has allowed me to be much healthier then I normally would or should be with what I have, but I also never got that socialization (I actually have never had a legitimate friend in my lifetime that wasn't on the internet or Xbox, I relate more to my near 50 year old mother then I do anyone else).

11. Hopeful

MetalRice -

That sounds tough. I'm glad homeschooling has allowed you to be healthier than you would be! I hope you find some people closer to your age...

Do you have a job? I've made friends at work, even if they weren't my age - they were closer in age than my parents and though they may just be "work friends" it's good to have people to relate to!

12. MetalRice

Thanks.

As for the matter of a job, no, not yet; I can't even drive.

13. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I attended an alternative school for elementary and part of middle. I loved it. It was a small school up in the woods around here, which meant, small groups, a lot of time outside, and a lack of structure. At that age, it was fine for me. I knew that I wouldn't continue on with that, however. I eventually got into a private high school (no uniforms) and now I currently attend a private university. I believe I enjoyed school more and came to be so, I suppose, "academically oriented", because of my unique schooling situation. I appreciate it greatly.

I don't think, however, that I could've continued in that "alternative" style for too long. It occupied more than half of my pre-college schooling, and that's all fine, but eventually I needed to be in a more structured environment.

14. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's really great that you didn't have to go through the journey alone. :slight_smile:

I got those questions too! Ugh! They were the bane of my existence. Eventually, you begin to see a pattern in people's behaviour. There was always a point in camp that I dreaded which usually occurred in the middle or near the end of the season, it was the talks of the upcoming school year. I couldn't lie to them and sometimes, the counsellors (oblivious to my pain, I hope) would out me and then the sh*tstorm would begin. I would be treated like everyone else before and then later I would be the Queen of Freaks.

A few years ago, I took an art class for teens at community college. When the teacher started talking about making introductions (where we went to school, our hobbies, etc.) - I almost had a heart attack. When it got to my turn, I said the name of the school and prayed so hard that the teacher wouldn't ask me about it. She didn't.

The question on favourite subjects was always a pretty easy one. It didn't usually raise other questions.

I've made quite a lot of strides with social knowledge. I've done reaserch on young society to better understand my peers, as well as other aspects to society, but I'm still struggling. I feel like i'm mostly stuck in the 90's. I'm super awkward and I probably come off as a weird bitch most of the time. But at least, I'm not as fearful of being around others. I usually dread social interactions, though. :/

#14 PlantSoul, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015