1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If gender identity issues could be cured with a pill

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DreamerBoy17, Jul 20, 2015.

?

Would you take a pill to make you identify with your bio sex?

1. Yes! It would make life easier!

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. No, I am happy with who I am.

29 vote(s)
    69.0%
  3. Other (comment below)

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just a note here before I start:
    I completely support anyone non-binary, I might even be genderqueer so please keep that in mind. I'm not trying to be transphobic, I'm just putting out a "what if" scenario. Also, please keep all debates and discussions civil.

I've been wondering for a while about being transgender/non-binary in general. I believe I've read somewhere that they have actually proven that gender identity is in your brain and not a choice. For most modern day "anomalies" of the brain, we cure whatever the trouble is with medicine. So, isn't it a little odd that for non-binaries, we instead are told to embrace who we are instead of addressing the mental state? It surely would be more cost effective than taking hormone therapy or getting surgeries.

Of course, I think this to be a more moral question than anything else. After all, unlike many other mental anomalies (don't take this word the wrong way), gender identity seems to be more rooted deeply in the heart of the person's being. Many people have had dysphoria or an inkling that they are different from a young age. And I definitely believe the joyful stories of people who finally can be who they really are on the inside.

It's still interesting to think of how a cure to any gender identity struggles (as in the cure would make you identify with your biological sex) would play out in the real world. This could be good for adults that don't want to go through all the things that transition entails, but I'm sure everyone can see the bible-thumping conservative parents who force their kid into taking one of these against their will. It's a double edged sword.

Personally, I'm undecided. That's why I'd like to hear everyone's opinions below. Also, tell if you would use the gender identity cure on yourself if you had the opportunity.

2. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, I would take the pill without hesitation and never look back... it would save me and everyone I love a huge amount of discomfort and pain. I would be able to live without dysphoria which is something that even transitioning doesn't always cure and be able to build up an identity and live a happy and full life as a result... in reality, this solution would be dream like for me...

Edit: just talking about this makes me feel sad because of how trapped it makes me feel and how hopeless everything seems right now...

#2 Eveline, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  3. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have no need for such a pill anymore. I'm entirely at peace with my gender identity.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I'm a cis male and am perfectly fine with it.

5. Acm

Acm Guest

Yes, I would take it. Ideally I wish there was just a pill that could make me a cis guy, but since that will obviously never happen, I'd settle for just not being trans. It's only brought me pain so far, and it's just going to keep getting worse when I have to start coming out to people. I'd do anything not to have dysphoria.

6. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't think so, nuh-uh. I mean, I'm perfectly happy being a female but there's times where I think that I'd like to sorta of be a male. Like, sometimes when I see one (most of the time, they're fit) I feel a bit uncomfortable about my body and kinda wished I had theirs. I don't know what it means but I'm definitely not uncomfortable with my sex. Maybe I'm just into masculine looks more? I dunno.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Would I take it right now, or would I have taken in sometime in the past?

If it's the latter, yeah, that'd save me some trouble. But I may not have the experience of getting to know and appreciate certain things, as deeply as I do now. There may have been depth, but not nearly as much as I possess now.

If it's the former, then I would still know... unless this pill makes you forget you ever were. In that case, it's tempting.

8. RainDreamer

Well, here is a better question. Imagine you are a human trapped inside an alien body, which constantly cause you pain and suffering every single waking moment. Do you want to take a pill to ease that suffering, or do you want to actually live in a body that is yours?

I rather take the harder way to still be able to live in a body that I am actually comfortable with rather than using a pill to make it seems like I can accept living inside somewhere I don't belong to.

9. Par

Par

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I wouldn't take a pill that made me identify as male only.
    I might take a pill that made me identify as female only. Although, I probably wouldn't because I'd basically be erasing half of my personality. It would be easier to be mtf transgender than bigender but I wouldn't be me anymore.

The way I see it, the choice would be whether to live my life as it is now, or give someone else I've never met an easier life.

10. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, many are treated with a pill or two, or an injection or two (either on a regular basis), so.... (injections tend to have fewer risks/side effects)

11. wolf of fire

I think it would change me too much, a lot of who I am comes from my gender and would be lost.

12. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The only gender issues is the attitude of people who don't understand different genders

13. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No.

There is no way I'd be messing with my brain and erasing myself just to please society. Sure I would not have has many problems as I do now, but at what cost? I never came close to identifying as female, so I really don't know what would happen if I took a pill like that.

The only thing I'd do, is probably take a pill that would change my body, not my brain. Or, I would also take the possibility of reliving my life as a cis guy.

14. C P

C P

Whewww, this can be a tricky question.

For the most part, I'm actually pretty content, dare I say happy, with the gender side of things. On the flip side, my dysphoric moments would say otherwise... :-\ Luckily the former outweighs the latter usually.

15. Cedar

I'm not going to change myself to appease someone that's "Uncomfortable" with me being trans. If they're uncomfortable with it, that's not really my problem. While taking a pill might make things easier for other people. It would only depress me to have to take a pill that "normalizes" me for the sake of others. If other people would be happy to take such a pill, more power to them. It's simply something I would not be comfortable taking, for my own sake. I choose to transition for my own comfort. Call me selfish for it but there it is.

16. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I find it interesting that so many here see taking such a pill in such a negative manner... how would such a pill really affect who you are as a person? I see it more as something that will give me the tools to navigate the world and connect with others instead of always feeling disconnected from my body and being unable to express who I am inside. Nothing is stopping a man from having the same personality and traits as a woman and vice versa... why would such a pill influence who we are as a person or our past? What it will do is make us feel comfortable in our own body and stop the dysphoria. I mean, when we transition we take medication that changes our minds, is this really so different? :slight_smile:

17. person57

If I was asked this question a few months ago, I would've said yes. But now I'm becoming happy with myself.

18. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting take!

19. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe I can help you understand my point more.

For me, gender is deeply ingrained in the brain. Taking this pill would affect my very brain structure, which is probably the most important part of my being. I see it as basically taking a pill that will change me as a person. Before I transitioned, everything was about how I didn't identify as female at all. If I suddenly accepted all those things, I would be far from myself. People would not recognize me, and me neither.

It's like if I took a pill that made me hate yellow. People would be like ''what is wrong with you? Wasn't that your favorite color? I would look at all my yellow stuff and wonder how I ever loved any of it. I would look down on my memories of wanting yellow this and yellow that. Actually, I wouldn't be able to connect with myself anymore, thus erasing the person I was before. This might seem exagerated when comparing it to a favorite color, but I still consider it a great part of myself. My gender identity is the same.

I would also see the existence of such a pill threatening. Your kid is trans? Bam, pill, everything fixed! You don't want to take the pill? Well, then if you get discriminated against, it's your fault for not taking the easy way out.

Also, for the last part, I don't really understand. Are you talking about hormones? Because hormones never changed who I was. They changed my body, yes, but they didn't touch my personality one bit. I'm still shy, crazy and a big living contradiction. Only now I don't have to deal with estrogen anymore.

I hope you kind of see where I'm coming from, now.

20. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can understand where you are coming from and the brain structure argument does make sense... the question is, could a pill actually change a person's brain structure in such a way? Maybe... however, I see it as unlocking a part of ourself that is dormant. I believe that during the prenatal period our cells are guided by some sort of plan that dictates whether or not our brain develops as male or female... however, what would happen to us if we activated inside our cells the plan that is connected to our birth sex and deactivated the plan that connects to our innate gender. Our cells will begin to respond as they would if we were innately male/female and over time we would acquire the instinctial tools to respond to external stimuli as someone male/female would... our brain would go through some structural changes bt it would be similar to the physiological changes we go through when we take hormones a slow and gradual change in the way we respond to the world which is completely natural. In a sense, our mind recalibrating itself to fit our body... like in the case of transitioning, we would barely feel the changes happening and we would stay the same person...

This is obviously a terrible idea if you are already deep into transitioning but it is a perfectly reasonable choice to make if you are early on in the process as it will be much less disruptive to your life and the people around you. Not to mention, it wlmight save quite a few lives of those that can't afford to transition or who can't pass as a member of the opposite sex...

About the children argument: discovering such a cure would give the world a better understanding of what it means to be trans. People would start seeing it as a very real medical problem and would view the trearments available as two dfferent possible approaches to treating it... people feel fairly strongly about risking playing with the structure of the mind and as such both decisions would become socially acceptable...

#20 Eveline, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015