1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgenders/Non-Binaries during the Selfie Craze

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SabreBear, Jul 21, 2015.

1. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I don't like being in pictures, never have. It's just something that irks me. That being said, online a lot of people are obsessed with "selfies" and just photographs in general. Sites like instagram make a living off this self-obsessed craze that everyone seems to be going through. Which is fine, I like seeing that people are so confident with themselves that they are okay with putting themselves on the internet. (Though some obviously take it overboard.)

My question lies with the Non-Binaries, and the Transgendered communities. How do you feel about selfies, and putting yourself out there? I have been going by male pronouns online for some time now, but there's a pressure to put images of myself online. I don't want to, as I still look predominantly female and cannot afford to transition. How do you deal with the reaction that you get from some people?

Maybe its just me but this terrifies me. Not in the normal photo annoyance way, but in the way that people will treat me female just because I still appear as a woman.

2. Acm

Acm Guest

Yeah I don't put selfies up for this reason. I have a few on my phone (mostly just so I can compare how I looked pre-transition), but I don't post them because I know I don't pass. I usually just end up getting frustrated with how I look when I take them anyways.