1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hatred of cyclists

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RainbowGreen, Jul 22, 2015.

1. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a cyclist, I noticed how much society seems to hate us. Automobilists are all talking about how cyclists are disrespectful, how they should pay liscenses and stuff.

I do admit that I have seen pretty idiotic cyclists, but not as much as stupid automobilists.

When I take my bike, I often see automobilists blocking my way, a cyclists' road, mind you. They also tend to get very impatient with me when I try to cross. They tell me to ''go'' when the car on the other side is clearly not stopping. Well, sir, maybe I just don't want to die today. Have you ever considered it? They seem to think I can go as fast as car, also.

I learned when I got my car liscence that at a four stop, you need to look at both sides for cyclists and people on foot. If there are some, you let them cross. How hard is that? Well, apparently it is too hard for 90% of people. This is pretty much what caused me to get hit by a van once. Not fun, I tell you.

Laws are also dangerous for cyclists. It's forbidden to ride on the sidewalk and also to ride on the opposite direction of the cars. Knowing that the cyclist road covers about 1%, if that, of the roads I can get to, this means I have to ride on the same road as cars while they're behind me and I can't see them. Seems pretty safe, right.

Then, you have last's year's incident in which a police officer tried to fine a cyclist for riding the road on the opposite direction of the traffic, so he could see them coming. Well, the officer bumped the cyclist and killed him in the process.

I got to think of this a bit more with the new law they try to pass, which consists of forcing cyclists to wear a helmet. Sorry if this qualifies as a rant, but I'm pretty sure cyclists have it pretty bad here compared to Europe, for example -_-

2. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my driver's ed class we talked a lot about cyclists: being polite to them, giving them plenty of space, and keeping in mind how dangerous seemingly small situations can be for them, like hitting a bump. We had to watch a lot of videos about it. Then we all got motorcycle keychains!

I don't know about the area where you live, but around here people are at least trying to spread awareness of the issue.

3. bipride

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Quebec City is in Canada right?

I don't know about the laws where you are, but over here we are pretty strict with cyclists but that can be both good and bad. Technically, if you allow your young child to learn to cycle on the pavement on her Barbie Doll style bike with stabilisers you could face a £500 fine.

The only reason that law exists is because cyclists pose a risk to pedestrians, when in my opinion it is much more likely that a cyclist is going to have a danger posed upon them due to a stupid driver!

Anyway, I have full respect for cyclists, but those who break the law (like going on red traffic lights, in the UK) I have no respect for. I think that as long as you are responsible, no driver has any reason to dislike you!

4. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's good to hear. In my courses, we just said that we need to give them a lot of space/ slow down when we encounter them. We didn't talk about how easy it is for them to get hurt, but at least, I knew that already.

5. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I didn't know that apparently a lot of people hated them. I mean, sometimes it does slow down the other drivers when they have to swerve to avoid them while also avoiding the other cars in the other lane.
    Though, when I do see a cyclist, I do kinda worry for them because drivers can be insane behind the wheel. Especially if that person in texting or talking on their cell phone while driving. I'd fear for my life if I saw someone texting behind the wheel.

6. Jellal

Driving to high school in the early morning I was definitely pretty annoyed with the crowds of middle aged men on bicycles that would bike slow as fuck across the whole street to make me late. And they were always perpetually scowling, like a massive storm cloud of bad vibes. There was this one time though, when one of the angry cyclists biked into another dude's bike and then the whole crowd of angry bikers came crashing down on top of each other in a frustrated wreck, before my very eyes.

In that moment I felt no pity for them, in fact I was laughing. So it's safe to say I hate them.

7. mark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not that I hate all cyclists, it's just that they need to be stopped at all cost. No matter what. :slight_smile:

(jk)

8. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fairly avid cyclist here. Yes, you really have to be your own advocate while cycling (as well as while walking, which I do a fair bit of too).

As you point out, don't accept invitations to cross unless *you* are convinced the way is safe.

The big thing in my area is for cars to pull way over into the oncoming lane to pass a cyclist who is on the shoulder...even on a blind curve! I mean seriously, people...if you aren't comfortable passing me with less than a 10-foot safety margin, then at least wait until you tell if the way is clear! I will not be the reason for your stupid head-on! So generally, when I know a car coming up behind me can't see ahead clearly...and especially if *I* can see (or hear) an oncoming vehicle the doofus behind me can't...I'll pull into the center of my line, and stick my arm out as if to block his way (i.e., indicating via clever hand signals: "The Way is Closed. It is Made for Those Who Wish To Be Dead. Pass Me and Thou Shalt Surely Perish." Unfortunately, doofuses can't read...but mostly they pick up on the general flavor of what I'm saying.

9. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I've been driving for several months and cyclists really scare me honestly. I have nothing against cyclists and I know there's not much they can do but I'm just always so afraid I'm going to hit them or hit another car when going around them (like if I can't see around a curve in the road). They really should make bike lanes way bigger. I don't understand how they expect a completely defenseless cyclist to fit in a 3-inch wide line next to a bunch of huge, fast vehicles and stay safe. It's dangerous for both the cyclists and the people driving.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

People riding bikes in the South, HA~!

How would they hold their large sweet tea from McDonald's?

11. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Read-mounted cup-holder. Or for that matter, they likely have a front-mounted cup-holder. Next question?

12. RunicSquirrel05

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The area I live in has a lot of cyclists. Some of the dumb, but most of them respectful and safe. I worry more about the other drivers out on the roads because people where I live have no sense of respect for others on the road.

For example, when I'm turning right into my apartment complex I'll put my signal on at more than 100 feet (the Ohio standard) and begin to slow down at a gradual pace. I don't slam my brakes on or ride my brake for a mile. I know my signals and my brakes work, but I've had more than one person have to swerve into the other lane to avoid hitting me because they were tailgating me from the moment I put my signal on. I go a little slower into my lot because it has an upward sloping entrance and a lot of people walk down my road on the sidewalk.

Theory: If more Americans were forced to drive manuals they would be less aggressive drivers because they would be forced to pay more attention to the car than their radio, cell phone, passengers or anything else.

13. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My city just expsnded our cyclist lane. Ugh. I hate that people can ride their bikes on the road! Stick to the bike paths. Cyclists are just asking for trouble. If they get hit what chance do they have against a couple hundred pounds of metal? None. It really bothers me and I don't even drive.

14. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I use bike paths, dont trust others enough to take the road

15. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

There's a newish law here that requires a 3ft buffer between you (the car) and them. I don't mind bicyclists (bikers to me means people on motorcycles), especially if they're in their own lanes, but when they're slowing the flow of traffic it's not so great. If they're considered part of the traffic, a car going as slow as most of the bikers I have to drive around would get tickets for being a driving hazard.

But there has been a really shocking lack of prosecuting people who kill bicyclists when it's entirely the driver's fault.

16. Thedistra

I mostly worry for them when I'm driving. I think it would honestly scare the hell out of me riding next to cars in a bike lane. Now my dog he certainly hated cyclists, although he had good reason.

17. LiquidSwords

Haha you're mental, how far exactly do you think I'd be able to get from my house using only dedicated bike paths I'd literally only be able to use my bike in the garden. You're right that it's quite dangerous for cyclists in some areas which is exactly the reason why facilities for cyclists need to be improved ie cycle lanes.. but your solutions is that nobody should cycle.. right

I don't know what it's like where you live but in the UK the roads are already congested ie over capacity with the volume of vehicle traffic projected to increase year on year indefinitely. That's why providing for and encouraging sustainable modes of travel ie cycling, walking, public transport is critical for new development in the UK and is a necessary condition for planning approval. That's also why highways agencies (district councils) and local councils are constantly trying to improve conditions for cyclists so as to encourage more people to cycle and making sure our roads are actually fit for vehicle use.

This is what I don't get about car drivers who rage about cyclists. If every person who cycles in my city got in their cars for work tomorrow you would not be able to move for traffic. If you drive, you should be grateful that others are cycling to make the roads less busy for you.. if the percentage of people who cycle doesn't increase then congestion will get worse and worse every year..

Sorry to pick on you XenaxGabby but your attitude is the absolute worst and you clearly have no appreciation of transport issues for both cyclists and drivers

Cycling on the pavement is actually well tolerated where I live since it offers greater safety and access for cyclists in a lot of instances and therefore encourages cycling. Laws for cycle helmets are dumb when they've been proven to decrease the level of cycling when they've been implemented, instead focus your efforts on making cycling safer by improving facilities.

I cycle 5+ miles each way to work most days. I enjoy it, it keeps me fit, it's cheaper, quicker, there's less emissions..

18. kem

kem

Whenever I cross the street I try to jump off my bike and walk (because over here in Finland drivers are forced to always stop for pedestrians, and when you walk your bike you count as one), although the drivers over here are very reliable and used to cyclists.

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In order to highlight the issues surrounding bikes vs. cars, there is in Montreal a "Naked Bike Ride" every summer (naturally). It is meant to bring attention to the issue of inadequate bike lanes and the dangers of riding a bike in a big North American city.

Like Quebec City, we in Montreal don't have enough bike lanes, but as a driver, I also get annoyed when people on bikes disregard the rules of the road, this happens far more frequently than I would like, they endanger every one.

20. confuseddreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am a motorist, and certainly don't hate cyclists, and don't think they should pay tax either. I think all road users - motorists, motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians - should all treat each other with the same respect.
    The number of pedestrians who have just walked out in front of me, and I have had to brake sharply - and then the look at you as if to say "What's up with you then?". The number of times I've seen inconsiderate motorists, cut up cyclists, or swing the door open in front of cyclists.
    In France, a new regulation came into force in, forbidding all road users from wearing any device capable of emitting sound in their ear. This applies to all, driving with a steering wheel (truck, van, car) or a handlebar (motorbike, scooter, moped, bicycle). The prohibition applies not only to telephone conversations but also to music and radio whenever the sound passes through a device in contact with the ears. This new decree complements the existing prohibition from using a handheld mobile phone whilst driving and is a class 4 offence, making the driver liable to a fine of €135 (and deduction of three points for French national drivers).
    Devices fitted in the vehicle or motorcycle helmet, i.e. without an earpiece and not requiring handling, remain acceptable while driving. Aids for the hard of hearing and those used by emergency vehicles or for driver training on motorised two-wheelers are also allowed.
    Not a bad idea - This morning on the way to work, I saw a cyclist, who had headphones on, covering up both ears, happily pedalling away, and he was totally oblivious to the traffic around him.
    I wish there was more courtesy on the road - it would make using them, a much nicer experience, and it would save lives.