1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To star or not to star(trans. or trans.*?)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by QueerTransEnby, Jul 22, 2015.

?

To star or not to star? Trans. or trans.*

Poll closed Sep 20, 2015.
  1. trans.

8.7%
  2. trans.*

34.8%
  3. Not sure/other

56.5%
  1. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I was at the LGBT community center today and writing an LGBT article as part of a writing workshop. It was an op-ed piece. As she was editing, she told me that "no one puts a star after trans. anymore." I said, "Oh, I meant no harm by it. I am sorry, I am a big trans. ally." She was trans. and seemed put off by it.

Anyways, is it trans. or trans.*?

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Bitch, I'm a star!

^.~

3. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I.. don't get the big deal about a star?
    Who's that star hurting at the end of the day?

(And for some reason it makes me feel more professional having it after trans.)

At the end of the day I just... don't care? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. MrK21

trans* is a wildcard term that covers transvestite transgender and transsexual. trans is just short for transgender. should be used accordingly

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's what I thought, Sabre, but I didn't know if there was a proper rule.

6. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it looks better with a star than without, looks more official.

7. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is, in fact, a technical difference between trans* and trans.

Using an asterisk denotes the usage of "trans" as an umbrella term which includes, but is not limited to: all transgender, non-binary, gender-nonconforming, genderless, two-spirit, agender, et cetera. Basically it's an all-encompassing term to describe anyone who is not cis-gendered.

trans* = all gender variants

Whereas "trans" with no asterisk is a more specific term which applies to only trans-men (FtM) and trans-women (MtF). But they are also included in the trans* umbrella as a result. If you want to specifically talk about this people group, then use "trans" - no asterisk.

trans = trans-men & trans-women only

This difference is important if, for instance, you are writing an article on "trans*" or "trans" issues - as that could mean two different things.

Hope this clarification helped. Though I personally would not be offended whatsoever if someone used trans* or trans to describe me (since I'm technically both). Though if someone was agender and you used "trans" to describe them - and they were a particularly nitpicky person - then they might get offended.

-Peter-

8. Aldrick

I frequently add an asterix after trans* <-- like so.

The idea behind it is to be inclusive of all trans* identities since it is an umbrella term. When I am speaking I say, "trans identities" because it would sound stupid to say "trans asterix" or "trans star."

The asterix has geeky roots. Basically, * is used as a wildcard when searching for files on a computer. Thus, trans* includes all trans* identities that exist outside the cis-gender binary. These would include, but are not limited to: transgender, transsexual, transvestite, genderqueer, genderfluid, non-binary, genderfuck, genderless, agender, non-gendered, third gender, two-spirit, bigender, and trans man and trans woman. There are probably a lot more out there that are not readily coming to my mind, which is the point--that is a lot to type and remember. So, it's a short hand way of saying, "all transgender, non-binary, and gender nonconforming identities."

There are some trans men and trans women who dislike the term being used in such a way. They want a more narrow definition, that basically restricts the term to MtF and FtM individuals. It's a very narrow view of trans-ness, and thus they are trying to throw everyone else out of the boat. They are essentially saying: you must actively be seeking to transition from one sex to another, and looking for a way to have surgery as a result. In other words, they are limiting it to the gender identity binary, even though there are many people who don't fit into that space. They may also be hostile to people whose gender expression is not stereotypical, for example, men who may incorporate feminine clothing or makeup into their personal expression.

I don't agree with this narrow interpretation of gender identity or gender expression. I believe in including everyone. Although, I can think of good arguments for not using it, for example trying to be too inclusive erases fundamental differences between people with different identities, but I am not ultimately swayed by the argument because when we are talking about specific identities we can use the specific terms. In common everyday communication, it is important to use a term that reminds people that gender is more broad than a simple male-female binary and is more complicated than genitals and chromosomes.

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Generally, I use whatever is easiest for me to type. If I am on my phone, I am much less likely to use the asterisk because it's harder to type..

I've never been one to believe that the asterisk fosters more inclusiveness. This is because transgender itself is already an umbrella term. I made a post here about the different views on the asterisk.

10. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. Ender has covered all of the important things. :slight_smile:

I try to avoid using both trans and trans*, as there seems to be countless interpretations of the terms within the community, and there will always be someone there to tell you your use does not abide by their definition :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Regardless of its denotation, transgender is scarcely used as an umbrella term (in my experience), which makes it very difficult to find others who identify with "outside the box" genders. A new, more precise term would be nice, but hey :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#10 Batman, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  11. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I'll let you in on a secret: you can spell anything you want any way you want all of the time ever.

Nothing matters! <3

12. Acm

Acm Guest

I don't really care much one way or the other but I like it without the asterisk because I think it looks better, and I already consider trans to be an umbrella term so I think the asterisk is unnecessary.

13. lettuce

Eef ownlee evrewon thawt lyk zat. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sorry

14. Aldrick

This is my experience as well. Although transgender started out as an umbrella term, I believe when most people use it they are specifically referring to or at least mostly thinking about people who identify as MtF or FtM. I think this is in part due to the word transsexual falling out of use. Some MtF and FtM individuals dislike the term due to its medical connotations and history. This is understandable, as a lot of gay people dislike being referred to as homosexuals, and prefer gay instead for virtually identical reasons.

As a result of this, I started to use trans* as I wanted to be specific in my language. Though, I certainly don't have an issue (or disagreement) with people who still consider transgender an umbrella term. I am just trying to be very precise and inclusive in my language use.

15. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't care one way or the other. It's just a word, after all.

Although when I first saw "trans*" with the asterisk I thought that meant I had to scroll down and there would be a footnote at the bottom of the page.

16. CyanChachki

I personally don't care, it means the same thing. As for her, just give her a bit of space. I'm going off assumption so please don't take it all the way to your heart, but she could possibly be sensitive to transgender issues. I'm sure she's not completely hurt, she's just.. putting you under the microscope for a bit. I wouldn't worry about it.

17. thepandaboss

I honestly don't think you need to put the asterisk in. To me, trans already can be an umbrella term. I mean, we don't usually add an asterisk onto the end of transgender and if we take transgender to mean the whole enchilada of the community, then trans, the short version, can also represent that enchilada. The asterisk just seems like an extra keystroke that you don't really need, although I get where it's coming from and why people use it. If you use it it's not a bad thing and all the power to you.

18. Jellal

I usually don't use the asterisk. Probably because whenever I see asterisks I'm used to seeing them used in thinks like medicine commercials when they list tons of harmful side effects. Asterisks give me bad vibes.

19. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Ender and kageshiro said it well ^_^

I really don't mind. ^.~

20. Keahi

Informally, among friends or here on EC? Either.

Writing for a newspaper or magazine? I'd avoid 'trans*' and be cautious about 'trans'. See:
    GLAAD Media Reference Guide - Transgender Issues (recommends against 'trans' primarily for reasons of ambiguity)
    and GLAAD Media Reference Guide - AP & New York Times Style (doesn't directly address this specific question, but note that the NYT bans 'bi' as 'slang shorthand')​

GLAAD uses 'trans' in its own publications, though. (See: GLAAD Media Reference Guide - In Focus: Covering the Transgender Community) So does Newsweek (The Transgender Rights Movement Is for Everyone, to choose just one example), and you can find it in the NYT (For Some in Transgender Community, It’s Never Too Late to Make a Change), although it seems less common there.