1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half-empty/full

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by biAnnika, Jul 23, 2015.

1. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just blogged this, but thought it worth sharing here as well...I found it amusing anyway.

No, this is not another tired thread about optimism/pessimism!

I just saw through a brilliant piece of social engineering, and thought I would share with my friends here!

I am traveling with my partner, and we are currently staying at a Hampton Inn. When we travel, we purchase a bottle of Scotch...because liquor stores away from home tend to have better selection...but I digress.

We got in last night, opened our bottle, and looked for a glass. Our Hampton Inn has these "cute" little cardboard cups in lieu of glasses, so I poured our quarter-inch of Scotch into those. As we were enjoying relaxing after a day of travel, I noticed that my cup had printed on it the message "Think of me as half-full".

Oooh, I said to myself, I like the sound of that! Understand that one of these cups *half full* of Scotch would be enough to get me seriously toasted! It just struck me as funny, because I could tell that wasn't what they had in mind...but I didn't think too much about what they *did* have in mind.

This afternoon, I poured myself a glass of ice-water into the same style cup (bearing the same message), and thought, damn, I was thirsty enough for a whole glass of water here, but they want to me to think of it as only half-full!!

Ok...when "Think of me as half-full" doesn't work when the glass is *less* than half-full AND when the glass is *more* than half-full, that leads me to look more deeply into the intent of the stupid message!

And what I realized they were *really* saying was: "Think of me as a glass". :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: This is no glass! It's a cheap-ass cardboard cup! By the time you drink half of whatever you put in it, your drink has soaked through the seam and the cup has started to seriously disintegrate. But by putting that little slogan on there, they had me even *calling* the damned thing a glass, let alone thinking of it as one! Laughably brilliant.