1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the few who aren't all into the feminism thing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Simple Thoughts, Jul 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simple Thoughts

Okay so I saw a "For feminists only" thread and I sorta browsed and pilfered through it a bit. I liked how civilly minded it was and out of respect I stayed out of it though there was this great opportunity for a little bit of a sarcastic quip, but I resisted my better judgement.

Given my mood yesterday, I'm in a rare mood to generate a nice little hug box.

So I figured I'd make an anti-feminist/egalitarian thread :3

Anyways I'd like to start the discussion with a question.

Okay. So I noticed once or twice I've gotten asked "What campaigns/advocacy does X do?" in the arguments. The point being to imply we only take on the label and pick up the mantel to argue with and attack feminism.

Now, me personally, I've never gotten involved in any advocacy myself in any respect because I don't really have the means to do so. I try to help out by discussing ideas and trying to explain what I believe and feel.

So my question is simply this. What groups/advocacies are there available for someone who isn't a feminist?

Are there campaigns to deal with issues that face men?

I know there is the Mens Rights Association, but honestly I hate those guys they are pretty extreme and seem to have one of the same fundamental flaws I see in feminism.

I've looked this up a few times but never had any luck finding out about anything. I dunno if this is because there aren't any or if I'm just bad at googling things.

I can believe there wouldn't be any mainly because feminism is a very strong mainstream force. Being opposed to feminism in any mainstream venue is equated to being the same thing as hitler so the number of supporters is small and as such there aren't as many opportunities or means to really accomplish anything. Also, while feminism purports to want to help with issues that face men they never seem to do anything about them. They just sweep them under the rug and focus on issues which face women.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but to me that makes it seem like they have no right to say they are about equality for BOTH sexes when the do literally nothing for men besides make empty promises.

2. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Personally for me, I don't see the issue with the MRA movement. It almost looks looks like it's mocking feminism in a way and that's what I like about it.

Also, another thing that really crawls up my skins is when people say that those who aren't feminists are not for equality and it's like, "bitch, shut up. Did you think twice about making that statement?"

As for campaigns against feminism, I don't think there is none to my knowledge and if there was, sign me up! I absolutely HATE feminism with a passion and I feel sorry for those who are because they're genuinely nice people. It's just, third wave feminism is so flawed and there's a reason why the majority of people around the world dislike it/them.

There's too many fallacies and contradictions and I hate how they say that they fight for "everyone". It's like, no sweetheart, this movement is for the women, no one else. It even says so in the definition.

I could go on about this but there's just SO much to say about this topic.

I sincerely hope there is an anti-feminist group because I'd join in a heart beat. Someone needs to make it happen.

3. Simple Thoughts

I'd agree except that they aren't mocking, they are a legitimate group.

Yeah I completely agree. You can believe in equal rights for both sexes and not be a feminist. In fact, you can be better at it. I don't like anything or anyone who attempts to FORCE a label onto me. NO JUST NO! The fact that you are demanding my compliance to your label says a lot about you.

Not AGAINST feminism. I don't care enough for that. What I mean was Campaigns that deal with issues that affect men. like a campaign to end circumcision, a campaign to even the playing field in divorce court, ect...

Haha I agree with that.

There are some groups, and you should look up #gamergate on the twitter. Last I heard their fight against Anita and friends continues on.

Back to my question though.

I'm talking about advocacies and organizations that deal with issues that affect men.

I don't like the concept of establishing a group for the sole purpose of undermining or destroying another group. I feel like it makes more sense to start your own version of what the group you dislike is trying to be and show people a better alternative and let them transition to your side via the acts you do :slight_smile:

4. alilnervous

MRAs have created mass rape and death threats, threatening to gang rape feminists and kill them. Doxing has been created, locating IP addresses of women on tumblr and killing them. There really isn't anything all that funny about it. Similarly, MRA leaders have advocated a slam a women in the wall day for women who speak back to men. Please reply for some articles and more.

5. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That does sound like a good idea, to make others take a step back and realize that women aren't the only ones who have to worry. I mean, everybody faces problems but I feel like men are just let out of them because they're men, they got "no problems". What problems do they have to face? I mean, right now, men don't have quite a lot of say in things and we need to raise awareness that men can suffer the same as women do.

Sorry if this may or may not meant what you actually said but I felt like throwing my two cents in :slight_smile:

6. flitterpad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that you don't understand what feminism is. What you are talking about is misandry, the belief that woman are better than men. Misogyny is the belief that men are better than woman.
    Feminism is the belief that both genders/sexes are equal. As you think that men also face problems, not just women, and that they should both be treated equally, you are a feminist.
    It is true that unfortunately some people label themselves as feminists when in reality they are misandrists. This gives other feminists a bad reputation and means that people don't understand their true meaning.

7. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wow, didn't know all that much about MRAs. When I picture one, I just think of a neckbeard type of guy who's got nothing to do but sit behind a computer all day and start ranting about this and that. But hey, anything to annoy those emo tumblr feminists is fine by me. I'm actually more on the side of the masculinists because at least they have evidence and good arguments to back up what they're saying.

Also, how do you know they rape and all that nice stuff? Could you please link me to it, please? :slight_smile:

8. alilnervous

Mass rape and death threats are a good idea? Feminism at large, never said men do not face problems. People don't understand that feminism is a diverse social group dedicated to bringing equality to everyone, including men, although men have way more privileges than women. If you argue that that is not the case, then you've got to be kidding me. If you say your a non-feminist, then you are saying you don't believe in equality between women and men, as simple as that. feminism = social, political, economical equality of men and women. The simple incapability to change from your definition of equality to another shows your resistance in belief that men and women should be equal, no other reason. Being feminist and disagreeing with other feminists is a different story.

Higher pay, ridiculously high rape rates (1 in 3 native american women), most homicides are husbands killing their wives. If that doesn't look like a cause to try to change things, blindness is a problem. Focusing on the extremists is a way for people to deny that change should happen.

If you think I'm a female, I'm not, I could send a pic if you want. Because people that hate feminists usually think we're all white, middle class women.

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I technically identify as a feminist, but I am for equal rights for men as well so I'm going to try to give your thread some support (I hope you don't mind, especially since I want to make up for our past arguments).

Now there are extreme feminists out there that believe that men aren't even allowed to identify with the movement so I understand the separation and anger.

MRA's exist, but the problem with them is that they take to the extremes with things- so much violent misogyny and entitlement from them which isn't much better than the radical feminist movement.

I do think actual feminism needs to focus more on male issues, especially circumcision and parenting rights, as well as "pro-femininity" (meaning men should be able to cry, wear dresses, etc without being called f*g, or not straight/male). Some of us do try to address it but our voices are silenced by the radical movement, sadly. And I've never heard of a place where it's discussed outside of feminism either.

I wish there was a way for us to all come together without all of the sexist hatred that both movements seem to share.

10. alilnervous

Also, a white straight male telling you why feminism is important to him and why feminism is for men's rights :slight_smile:

On Male Privilege

11. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]
    this isn't going to end well

12. Sarii

I don't like to get involved with "feminists" or "anti-feminists" because they tend to be very uppity and confrontational. Anyway, feminism and egalitarianism is a good value on paper. And, the first feminists paved the way for how women's rights evolved. Now, some feminists have diluted the pool (in modern first world countries I should say, I do not speak for developing ones). Do true feminists and egilitarians exist? I would say so. But, there are those parading around when they are actually misandrists.

13. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. I'm a feminist also, and I think these issues are just as important. Women are far less likely to be hounded for child support then men, and men are often looked down on when they do traditionally female parenting roles: even things as simple as spending time with their kids. (Can speak from personal experience on both) As a feminist, I think we need to work on equality for both men and women.

Bottom line, don't be thrown off by the radicals. Many of us do care about men's issues.

14. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm all for equality, but the fact that feminism claims to be for that while calling the movement FEMinism is quite ironic. There's no reason to keep the name that way because women are not oppressed more than men. They're just oppressed differently.

(Also, don't label me a feminism. One thing we learn into the LGBT community is not forcing labels on others.)

15. alilnervous

Women are more oppressed than men, my god. There are differences in treatment in society, men don't have to walk down the street and worry about being sexually assaulted, violently attacked for saying no, be slutshamed. If you really saw rape statistics, I mean it's undeniable. In general, I figured it was common sense!

All men can complain about is custody of children. Custody over children, or rape and violence? I put custody over that thank you very much.

16. thepandaboss

I don't mind feminism as an idea or concept. But what I don't care is the current brand of feminism and social justice that sorta rose out of Live Journal and Tumblr. It's turned me off from ever telling people I'm into social justice issues. Too little focus on issues that help everyone. More focus on dumb crap like a scientist's shirt. Also, it's becoming a movement that doesn't promote real debate, squashes all opposing opinions and censoring anything. It's a very poor way of promoting any meaningful change.

17. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I don't agree at all. That's like saying that the term "LGBT community" does not promote equal rights because "gay people are not more oppressed than straight people, just oppressed differently" (And yes, straight people DO have their issues, like if they do not conform to 100% rigid gender stereotypes, they are told they have to be gay, can't get a partner who understands, are more likely to deal with sexist power imbalances than gay people are, etc).

Feminism the term was created because women were more oppressed originally, and to this day we still still feel terrified to live in a society that demonizes us just for our bodies.

#17 Fallingdown7, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2015
  18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Men get raped too, which is overlooked. Trans men, gay and bisexual men get raped. People even think that prison rape is a convenient side effect of the criminal justice system. We should not minimize that. We need to engage with that and work against sexual violence for their benefit too.

19. thepandaboss

Also, a lack of support for male victims of rape, violence, or domestic assault. That's kinda a big issue for us guys. :slight_smile: Like I literally had no resources in my local area when I was assaulted. Plus, no one takes a male who's been assaulted seriously and it happens more often than you'd think.

20. alilnervous

Yeah, and that's where MRAs on reddit said that men who experience rape should enjoy it. Feminists were the people that embraced and showed social support for male rape victims, no one else from what I've read.

It's true that there is not enough focus on rape centers for men, but then again, feminist websites like everydayfeminism have promoted awareness of male rape on multiple occasions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.