1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it hard for LGBT people to settle in the suburbs?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Driftr

I don't really know much about families with LGBT parents who are living in the suburbs but I thought maybe I could ask here to see if anyone had any experience with being an LGBT parent who is settling out in the suburbs. I imagine the suburbs to be where most conservative families live so my initial impression is that it is not really an inviting place for LGBT parents to settle down.

Could I maybe be wrong? Is there an LGBT parent - or a child of an LGBT parent here that can tell their own experiences of living in the suburbs? Would you recommend such a place to any LGBT parents who want to raise their families there?

2. flitterpad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it depends on where you live. I live in a suburb in New Zealand but almost everyone who lives in the surburbs here are really accepting of LGBTQ people. I don't know about other countries.

3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most if not all of the affirming places around here are in the (nearby) suburbs bordering Detroit, just relegated to a few spots in one part of the tri county area.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No one cares. LGBT people who aren't into the scene tend to live in the suburbs in many cases. I live further out from the city center and I like it. I've never been able to stand the vibe and intense energy of gayborhoods, and this was even when I was in my 20s. Two hours in the Castro, for example, is ample. To live there would be draining, and I'm referring just to soaking in all that is going on around you day in and day out.

I think that it depends on the city. In more progressive cities, it wouldn't matter one bit.

5. Cider

My friend has two dads, and they live in the suburbs. No one really cares, everybody just minds their own business.

6. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just make sure you take good care of your yard--you'll be fine.:lol: I'm kidding, but I'm kinda not...

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is true whether you are straight or LGBT; Just cut your lawn. If you don't take care of it, you will be criticized. "I don't hate you because of your sexuality, I hate you because your yard is an eyesore."