1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My experience as a female bisexual trying online dating so far...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by waternation, Jul 25, 2015.

1. waternation

waternation Guest

Okayyyyy...

So before anyone thinks I am taking this online dating thing seriously this is more of a test as a straight friend of mine (who doesn't know that I'm bi) recommended that I try a dating website out after she met her (now husband) on it.

Curious... (as I had heard stories about online dating and what not before I made a profile)... I made a profile. This wasn't like on T.inder or something either, but a website I thought was more about actually matching up personalities and compatibility etc. And here is my experience of online dating as a 25-year-old female bisexual so far...

So... I've noticed that there are 3 main types of messages that you get.

1. The first (and most annoying, considering on my profile I have looking for a: "strictly monogamous relationship" is this kind of one:

~~"Hi, me and my wife think you are rlly sexy. Want to have a threesome? :wink:)

Me = *head desk*

Reply: NO. :eusa_doh:

2. The second kind of one is from guys who seem kind of vague, but nice:

"Hey, how are you?"

Then next second,

"So... threesome?"

Again, me = "head desk*

Reply: Did you read my profile?? No. :bang:

3. Then there's these (from guys):

"Hey sexy, how ya doin?"

"hi there :wink: wanna chat?"

"hiiiiiiiii gurl"

"Wanna sex?? lol"

Me, again x200000 = *head desk*

Reply: Ugggh. Noooo.

Sadly also, no girls have even talked to me so far >< I'm wondering if this is because I have my orientation as "bisexual" and they just assume it is to attract the guys that I apparently am attracting :dry:

Anyways, that is the end of my rant. But so far, I am thinking that online dating, unless I change the orientation in my profile from bisexual like to lesbian or queer something? is not going to be interesting the right kind of people... Bisexual stereotypes are a pain :confused:

Have any other bi girls had similar experiences???

Oh, and also disclaimer: I don't mean to say that online dating is not a valid way to meet someone or date. I've just always been a bit skeptical towards it for some reason :rolle:

2. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Haven't actually tried it yet, but have looked at different sites to see what services and options they provide.
    I've only found 2 sites that actually allow non-monosexual orientations as an option and on those there are apparently many members who perpetuate the stereotypes you mentioned above, as well as comments like "No bisexuals/no bisexuals need apply".

3. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, this doesn't look very promising so far. Maybe you could try making two accounts? One as a straight person, and one as a gay person :/ That'd probably do away with the whole threesome thing, but you would eventually have to come out.

4. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My experience with online dating

Free to join but have to pay to use service :bang:
    I put man looking for a man that's a woman you've matched me with :tantrum:
    Why the :***: did I ever go on here :tears:

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I hope you don't mind a non-bisexual person commenting, but I do have some insight on your situation in regards to my own experiences.

I should warn you that online dating does attract men that are creepy perverts, basically the worst of the male sex are on those sites. I'm not saying all men are bad, but it does seem to attract the worst of the lot.

I am not bi, however, I get creepy messages from men as well. Says "GAY" right on my profile and men are constantly commenting "Can I come over to your house and eat you out?" WTF???

As far as women go, bi women tend to get less messages from them for three reasons:

1) There are more straight men than bi/gay women in the world, and therefore this increases your number of straight messages.

2) Some lesbians are put off by bisexuals and are highly biphobic so they won't message you. However, isn't it better to avoid these people anyway? You don't want to attract people who can't accept you in a real world relationship.

3) Many are fine with your sexuality, but are either shy, haven't actually found you yet, or just find you to not be their type under other factors. In which case, I would recommend searching them up yourself and sending a message.

Some of the "Bisexuals" on the sites have also been straight girls looking to prey on lesbians for threesome benefits in my experiences, so some of these girls are wary for the wrong reasons. In which case, I can understand lying to them at first and coming out via PM.

I wish you luck. I haven't had much luck either though. Usually girls aren't interested at all or they just want to talk and never bother to meet up.

6. The Wallflower

As an annoying teenager would say: ''lol, wtf''

You're better off finding someone in real life. It's much more trustworthy, and less... stressful. :lol:

Besides, most of the guys on dating websites are disgusting ratbags just either want to hook up, or troll. Yes, troll. How do I know this? I've seen it myself.

7. AJ96

AJ96 Guest

My only experience with online dating is when I tried joining T.inder just for fun - some of my friends had gotten a good laugh and one had actually meet her boyfriend on T.inder. I wrote that I was bi sexual and pretty much all the responses I got was from guys asking for three-ways :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (I deleted my account pretty fast)

But I don't think you should worry, there will of course always be some silly horny guys but if you give this online dating thing some time there is bound to be some sweet and nice people :slight_smile:

#7 AJ96, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2015
  8. Lazuri

I guarantee you that changing your orientation to "gay" will not change a thing. Mine is set to gay and I make it clear I'm a transwoman and I still get these. Along with one weird indian woman--that I strongly believe was not actually a woman--looking for "dickgirls."

9. TheStormInside

Yeesh. I briefly put up a profile on a dating site (took it down as I decided I'm not ready to date yet). On that site there was the option to "hide profile from straight people." Perhaps you could try that option? You would still be seen by bi and gay guys, but it would at least weed out all the straight guys, who are presumably more numerous.

10. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I don't do online dating at all. I tried it and got only creepy replies.

My experience is that you will have far better luck meeting people through groups aimed at particular interests and NOT dating sites. There are far too many people interested in hookups, messing around, and trolling on dating sites. Maybe they work for people with a very thick skin and tons of patience.

11. thepandaboss

I used to do online dating before I got with my boyfriend. When I would list myself as bisexual, I usually had a little bit of luck getting matched up with both guys and girls. However, I never actually had a full conversation with someone. I didn't have any luck meeting anyone online until I tried out gay hook-up apps and listed myself as a gay male. That, in itself, was a terrible experience and I met some pretty unsavory types through the app.

I think online dating can work out for a lot of people. But really not for everyone and I think it depends a lot on the kind of site you're on and the culture of people who use it. I did meet my boyfriend online, funnily enough, but it was through a group on Facebook.

Don't get discouraged though. It might just take trying different sites and seeing what works.

12. waternation

waternation Guest

Linthras That sucks the only websites you find suit you are generally full of people like that :S and "bisexuals need not apply"? why? : ( I'm guessing this is just from stereotyping...

ForNarnia Yeah, maybe creating a straight profile and a gay one? Idk, I lean towards girls a lot more anyway so maybe just a gay one^^ I'm not really looking for a relationship atm though and will probably delete my profile soon anyway, it was more out of curiousity... But if I ever wanted to try online dating in the future it's pretty deterring :S

happydavid Aw, that sucks you have to pay to use the service. And you put "man looking for man" and they recommended you women?? what the?? That's kind of weird... and just a little insulting :/

Fallingdown7 'Course I don't mind non-bisexuals posting^^ And ergh, I think any guy practically introducing themselves with "can I eat you out" would deter straight girls alike too. Gross. However even more disrespectful yeah, considering that you're lesbian. Hm, those are interesting reasons why bi girls might not get a lot of messages from other girls too... And this is a very good point: "Some lesbians are put off by bisexuals and are highly biphobic so they won't message you. However, isn't it better to avoid these people anyway? You don't want to attract people who can't accept you in a real world relationship." So I guess, just message and maybe be more pro-active?

The Wallflower
    Haha, yep^^ So much that. And I do prefer meeting people in life :slight_smile: I will probs delete my profile soon anyway because I do feel a lot more comfortable judging a persons character from personal interaction rather than typing.

AJ96 That sounds like an experience :S Good thing you deleted it by the sounds of it, and yeah there probably are some nice sweet people on dating sites but also a lot of others that make you want to repeatedly head desk :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Lazuri
    Ah, really? Even with your orientation as lesbian you still got messages from guys like that? I am so sorry to hear too about that experience you had :frowning2: That's completely disrespectful!

TheStormInside Hm, I don't think on this site you could hide your profile from straight people, although I guess that might be a good idea... Bi and gay guys would have to be much less likely to send messages like that?

alwaysforever Oh true, sites focused on interests rather than dating probably would be better to meet someone more genuine and not just looking for sex/hookups :rolle:

thepandaboss "When I would list myself as bisexual, I usually had a little bit of luck getting matched up with both guys and girls. However, I never actually had a full conversation with someone."~~ Yesss, it seems that actual conversations just do not exist in the online dating world that much. It's really weird!! How are you supposed to get to know someone? Oh yeah, I would never use a hook-up app! I would be so concerned about my safety, even if I was interested in just hooking up. Congrats on meeting your BF through facebook^^ Yeah, if I ever got too serious about online dating I would probably try and find which sites are better than others. After reading all these replies online dating actually seems like a lot of work! :rolle:

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories and opinions!! (*hug*)

13. Lazuri

I can deal with it since I've thick skin. Normally I just ignore them, but sometimes I troll them by leading them on and laughing at the kinda stuff they write to me. My favorite thing is to just act totally oblivious to what they actually want--It's very interesting to see the lengths and frustration they go through just on the off chance somebody is gonna be willing to have sex with them.

That said, I have talked to some really cool people through online dating sites, but I was always the first one to send them a message. There are good people on there, but you'll pretty much have to find them yourself.

14. waternation

waternation Guest

Huh... that's good you sometimes get back at them. Oh yeah, I could imagine that some of them would be pretty dense if they had trash intentions like that in the first place so it would be pretty easy to lead them on and laugh :rolle: Still... shouldn't have to encounter that :dry:

I'm glad you have met some cool people online though!^^

15. AJ96

AJ96 Guest

16. EvilRegal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi. First, as a lesbian, let me say thank you for being honest and saying you are bisexual. As a lesbian who tried to just find friends on a dating/friendship site I can tell you it's hard. Finding genuine people out there is practically impossible I find and I was just looking for friendship. All anyone seems to want is sex. Anyway, to attract lesbian or other bisexuals to your profile, can you say something in your profile to address that you are interested in and looking for a relationship with a woman? Might help and you still maintain your honesty about being bisexual.

17. starfish

I agree with this. My straight female friends have shown me the messages they get on dating sites. I'm shocked by the level of crudeness these guys display.

18. waternation

waternation Guest

Oh yeah, that's a good idea. Well, I will probably still delete it soon anyway because I completely get what you mean by people not being genuine, and only wanting sex :icon_sad: Though I hope you are able to find some genuine people and friends (*hug*)

Yessss! I did not include the creepy messages, but they are truly disgusting!! There was one guy even who linked me a gif saying "can this be us" and I do not even have to describe what the gif is for you to make an accurate guess. So GROSS :dry: