1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there others who never felt afraid to come out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MouseKeeper, Jul 25, 2015.

1. MouseKeeper

When I realized I had romantic feelings for both sexes, I don't remember actually being afraid to come out.

I have a grandfather who is openly gay, my mother is openly bisexual, my sister's pansexual, one of my cousin's half sisters is a lesbian, my aunt is Bicurious. So, I had all this support. A lot of family members who are LGBT. I'd say due to knowing all of this, I never felt afraid to come out. I didn't even feel like something was wrong with me, or at least, not until I thought I was an Asexual(I might still be a gray-a or a demi). For some reason, that's when I started getting depressed and feeling alone, and feeling like something was wrong with me. But in the beginning, I just said to myself, "Eh. So, I'm bi. Big deal."

Are there others who weren't afraid to come out?

I ask because every coming out story I read involves someone being afraid to and bursting into tears, and it makes me feel bad that it was harder for others than it was with me.
    Note: I'm not asking this to sound like a total jerk. I apologize if I come across that way.

2. Cider

I wasn't super afraid because I live in an accepting community, my parents seemed accepting, and people my age for the most part really didn't care too so I decided to come out last year.

The fear was definitely still there, I still felt like maybe everyone I knew was secretly homophobic and would shun me if I came out, but I went through with it anyways.

It was a huge relief to see that everyone was supportive, and it honestly made me ecstatic for a few days to see that at least in some places, the world was finally turning around.

3. The Wallflower

Warning: Opinion ahead!

I think bisexuals have a less harder time coming out than transgenders or gays/lesbians. I FEEL like bisexuality is more accepted socially.

No explanation; simply stated, and ended.

Can't say I wasn't afraid; I was terrified.

4. Cider

This is very true, escpeically if you're a girl.

It's the reason why some gay and lesbian people come out as bisexual, to give whoever they're coming out to false hope or just to convince themselves.

Of course, being bisexual also has a ton of its own problems, like other people refusing to believe that bisexuality even exists. :slight_smile:

5. Well, I hardly have that feeling. However, when it comes to my parents, I have that feeling.

I never really had such a strong fear of coming out to my friends, after coming out the first time, I just let it all out. If people ask, I truthfully answer. Basically, everybody I know is aware that I'm gay.

A ton of people I know in school are gay, and they are like the social kings and queens of my school. ASB, Class Council, Cabinet member of the Red Cross, NHS, FBLA, etc. Everybody is aware of their sexuality. It's kinda like a popularity boost.

Meanwhile, my ass is hidden in the shadow, making a minor presence through writing for the school newspaper. Really, I don't like being in the spotlight almost 24/7 like them.

However, the fact that they're gay and have such a strong presence in my school is a great thing for those in the closet. It shows that people look up to them, and them being gay doesn't get in the way of that.

#5 anthonythegamer, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2015
  6. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was terrified when I came out to some of my friends and parents.

Now I'm so comfortable with my sexuality, there's still a few friends I need to tell and it's just like, "eh, whenever I get around to it"
    I feel restless when I'm not out, anyways. I feel that I'm hiding stuff from people, so coming out with sexuality is a relief for me.

As for gender, I'm not in a big rush, because I know people won't have any idea what I'm talking about with gender fluid.

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No my heart pounds through my chest and my hands shake a little.

8. alilnervous

I, for some reason, never did. But then again, I haven't come out to my parents and I fear their reaction. Also, I'm not sure whether my sister will be so accepting, though I assume so. Ugh, coming out to family is scary ><

9. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am still afraid about gender identity, but being bisexual, I have no fear in coming out about that. I probably am afraid of coming out as FTM because I am not sure about myself enough to do so.