1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discomfort at pool

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DreamerBoy17, Jul 26, 2015.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not the most attractive person ever. But people at the pool seem to think I am. Every time I go there, I can feel the eyes of all the boys there on me and it really bothers me. I turn around and I can see them watching me sometimes. It's like really, guys? I'm a little chubby, and Im sure there's more attractive people to look at at the pool. It doesn't help that I don't like my bikini at all. I'm not a fan of showing off my body, and I often feel uncomfortable or even dysphoric about my breasts being out and about. I wish I could just wear comfy swimming trunks and not have to worry about my appearance, or if my suit is sagging, or whatever.
    Sorry, I just felt I needed to get that off my chest.
    So, do any of you guys ever have to deal with crap like this at the pool? Am I making a big deal out of it or is it just a part of growing up?

2. souverian

I haven't been to the pool in years. I don't think it's an uncommon occurrance. If you're talking about peers, they're going to be like that for a couple years, then the majority of them will move on, and a minority will just stay like that and be even less discrete about it.

Seriously, I thought the stereotype of "jocks" was a joke or something, but it's actually startlingly accurate for some select few.

Anyway, past that I can't say from experience if it gets better since I'm not AFAB, but I thought I might at least add my thoughts on it.

3. Cider

Whenever I go to the pool, I also get really self conscious because I'm a skinny guy, and I just feel like you can only look good if you're built with abs. It pretty much sucks, escpeially since I had to swim for gym in school. :bang:

4. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

swim trunks aren't much better, part of suffering from social anxiety for most of your teenage life is the feeling like everyone is watching you, not to mention you're mostly naked on top of that and surrounded by alot of decently attractive people, who are also mostly naked. And swim trunks don't leave much to the imagination, especially when they're wet, if you get my meaning... '='

As much as I enjoy swimming I haven't felt fully comfortable at a public pool since I was a kid. It's the only time I've personally experienced body dysphoria. Basically I deal with it by either staying in the water or keeping a shirt on.

5. HappyDino

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I dread going to the pool. ;~;

I'm pre-hrt currently, so when I go, my dysphoria gets really bad. I won't go unless I've shaved like every hair on my legs and arms. I don't think I look bad in boymode, but I hate the idea of people even acknowledging me as a boy. Not sure if that's just my anxiety topping everything off though.

6. Sashafr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah I hate going to pools because if your a guy and you don't have a perfect six pack and your not older you get a lot of stares. For some reason this stupid macho thing exists where if your a young guy you have to be built like Channing tatum or your viewed as unhealthy to say the least. Its stupid but the stereotypes exist. I imagine its worse for girls but then again I wouldn't know.

7. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I sometimes experience this. I don't even notice anyone staring, but it doesn't matter. I still feel self-conscious. When I'm shirtless at the beach or a hotel pool or something, I'm always concerned that people are looking at my scrawny, pale body. I'm very conscious of the way my ribs show. So for the most part, I don't prefer to reveal it =\

8. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the last several years, when I get in the water (pool, lake, or waterpark), I leave my shirt on.

9. Garnet

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I always wear a shirt and shorts when I go to the pool...

10. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom wants me to wear a t-shirt in the pool, but I don't because it weighs me down when I'm swimming. So I stopped listening to her. :lol:

So no, I don't really deal with anything like that. If anyone stares at me, I don't notice. They seem distracted by their own things.

11. thepandaboss

Oh boy. Pools. I haven't been in about a year and that was when my mom dragged me to a water park because she needed help minding my sisters. Had to wear an embarrassingly feminine, skirted swim suit too because that was all I had. I wasn't in the closet, by the way, just living in a house where I couldn't express myself. Despite being 19.

I think pools are probably where I felt some of the worst dysphoria in general. Plus, I can't swim either. I might give it another shot now that I can be open about myself.

Some of you guys, by the way, may want to consider looking into a swimming binder. I know a few guys who actually wear old, worn out binders just for swimming and it's helped them out a lot. Combine that with a t-shirt and you're good to go.

If anyone asks, you can do what I do and say you've got serious, medication induced gynomastia and your doctor suggested a chest compressor and man, does it help a lot with your resulting gynomastia embarrassment.

12. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live on a lake, so most times I just go swimming by myself in my underwear :grin:

When I do have to swim with others around, I keep my tshirt on :/ My torso isn't especially appealing, and my spine, ribs, and hip bones all stick out oddly. That's why winter is the best season; everyone's bundled up like the michelin man, and all body shapes and proportions are hidden beneath parkas.

13. CyanChachki

I know how you feel and I know how hard it is not to focus on the idea that others are staring at your body in a negative way because I'm overweight and I take swim lessons. I can also tell you and hopefully put your mind at ease that it gets better over time. If people want to stare, let them stare. If they're doing it in a negative way, then that's their problem and I feel sorry for the fact that they think they need to bully others in order to feel accepted by their group and maybe a little better about themselves. If they're staring in a positive way, then great, don't worry about it. Focus on having fun and being who you are.

14. Cedar

I'm still pretty uncomfortable with my body in general so I tend to avoid the pool, like the plague.

15. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I'm not exactly ugly, but I have a small body and I have extra fat that makes me look chubby. Swimsuits are too form-fitting and they make me feel naked. I just don't feel comfortable in them.

16. Greenapple

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Growing up I had a lot of body issues and most of what you are talking about is completely normal. It's normal to feel self-conscious and if it makes you feel any better, most of the other people who are at the pool are also feeling self conscious about their bodies so you're not alone.

It wasn't until adulthood that I became comfortable with my body and only through learning to love myself despite my flaws. I started by looking at myself in the mirror naked every day until I got used to it and comfortable and eventually I stopped looking at my flaws as they became normal to me.

17. Rochelle86

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I can't wait till the day I can wear a bikini, and not get stared at. I don't like my current board shorts, and I'm embarrassed about my lack of body hair (lots of shaving), and some body ache. (it's getting better, maybe) I'm not over weight, but I'm not in shape either. :/

18. florence2000

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The last time I went in a pool was in summer and I went in wearing jeans and my top. I was still a faster swimmer than some of them. It impossibly to find board short that are about knee height under $50. And I don't any nice swimmers only athletic ones, all the ones I like that hide tummy's are for plus size.

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Hot tubs for the win.

20. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't remember the last time I went swimming at a public pool, so this is hard to answer. I've worn swim trunks and a sports-bra swimming since I can remember, I feel like if anyone stares me down it's little kids... Because they're confused, rightly so I guess. It never bothered me though.

You're only 14, so maybe it's a parental reason... But, why not wear trunks if you're more comfortable?