1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My First Pride...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by randomconnorcon, Jul 27, 2015.

1. randomconnorcon

...is on Saturday.

I'm not really nervous. My stepmum has been to two here in Liverpool and she told me I'm gonna have fun and meet lots of cool, interesting people. And that's great, but I'm not really excited either. I think because I honestly don't know what to expect and, having social anxiety, it puts me off a bit.

I missed London's Pride because I came home from university earlier. I'm kind of glad, I think it'll be better to have my first Pride at home, a smaller city.

How did y'all feel leading up to your first Prides compared to actually being there?

2. Leifa

I'm excited for you! I missed this years so I'm going to my first next year!

3. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was more confident leading up to it surprisingly. I just had my first pride recently, but during it I was quite nervous about introducing myself to people and interacting. I kept waiting for the "right moment" but I feel that I should of taken more social risks.

Having said that I did have a lot of fun and I did meet some people (probably will never see them again but still). A good friend of mine that also finds social situations challenging suggested we should make our social awkwardness work for us!

Flaunt our insecurities in a slight self mocking attitude!

I have yet to test this however. Regardless, I felt some anxiety overall (which is normal and understandable) but even with that I enjoyed myself. Any regrets I have I can work on them for next year's pride!

Have fun!

4. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I went to Pride on a whim. It wasn't something I planned on. I simply was down in San Diego during the same weekend that Pride was going on. A friend we were down there to visit wondered if I might want to come, and I did. It was essentially just a regular parade. There was some flamboyant clothing and some dancing, but it was nothing outrageous. A lot of it consisted of local organizations expressing their support for the LGBT community. I basically just stood on the sidelines with my friends and watched it. I enjoyed it, but I didn't feel the need to really participate much. It was much more low-key than I initially had been led to believe. This of course varies according to the city. I'm sure San Diego's parade was nothing in comparison to what happens in San Francisco.

5. ConfusedPoet

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I actually just went to my first ever Pride yesterday, and I wound up absolutely loving it!

Everyone was really nice and it was such a nice atmosphere, literally no one was unhappy the whole time. I'm only out to a few people so I went with some friends who had no idea I was bisexual and I came out to two of them while I was there just because it was such a warm and welcoming environment. The parade itself was pretty standard as a parade, except they had tons of supporting organizations out and some of the floats were really well done.

I honestly had a blast just being there, you don't even have to go around introducing yourself to people to enjoy it.

I hope you have a fantastic time!

6. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was kinda nervous before going the first time...but now at all once I actually got there. I quite enjoyed going.

7. HappyDino

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm going to my first pride in my town next month. I'm going with my friends, so I'm excited. Although I really have no idea what to expect. O~o

8. randomconnorcon

So Pride was wet. Very, very wet. I ended up right in the middle of the march and the rain poured the whole time. But it was great. I found a friend in the stalls after it and we got drinks in one of the gay bars. I'm home right now, but who knows what will happen later. And I'm looking forward to next year.