1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People using autism as an insult online

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Asdf333, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Asdf333

Out Status:
    A few people
    So today I've learned yet again that you should never scroll down the comments anywhere :lol: Some guy insulted someone else in a youtube comment by calling him an autist. When he was attacked by other people, he even claimed to have majored in psychology, which I really doubt, as any sane person who's studied that wouldn't use such words so liberately :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I wonder though... why do people use that word as an insult so often?

I can't wait to hear your opinion on that topic guys :icon_bigg

2. Katie J

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    To be honest I don't know why people feel the need to go out of their way and insult other people. I've always been raised with the mind set of if you don't have anything positive to add, add nothing. I've known people who use language like you are talking about and when I ask them why they do so must of the time they have no answer and I feel like it is because there is something in their own personal lives that they are trying to counter. And I really mean anything, from going through a bad breakup to perhaps they had a family member pass away.

I am a Unitarian Universalist and so I try to approach them with compassion because I know I've had some bad days where I came off as a complete asshole and maybe they are also having one of those days, or weeks, or month.

3. Asdf333

Out Status:
    A few people
    I really like that approach of yours ^^ And aye, I agree with you saying that they probably simply had/have a rough time/life... I wonder though... will those, who really don't know better ever learn to do that? Or are they doomed to live an entire life negatively? I can't imagine such a pessimistic life to ever feel as accomplished as living an optimistic one.