1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People using autism as an insult online

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Asdf333, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Asdf333

Out Status:
    A few people
    So today I've learned yet again that you should never scroll down the comments anywhere :lol: Some guy insulted someone else in a youtube comment by calling him an autist. When he was attacked by other people, he even claimed to have majored in psychology, which I really doubt, as any sane person who's studied that wouldn't use such words so liberately :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I wonder though... why do people use that word as an insult so often?

I can't wait to hear your opinion on that topic peeps :icon_bigg

2. MrK21

I haven't got a comment saying i am an autist, and I'm the real deal.

3. Ryu

Ryu

Huh... I never realised that mouth breathera in comment sections knew what autism was.

Well... I've never come across it, and even though I am autistic, I'd probably just laugh it off as something a mindless drooly said on the internet. It's been done, the hell can I do about it?

4. Asdf333

Out Status:
    A few people
    Aye, that surely is true... but... I then get a bit sad seeing how an entire human life... an entire ~70 years of life is based on so much "ignorance" :/ And these 70 years only refer to one person, however there are so many more people like that in the world.

5. Ryu

Ryu

That was the nicest way I have ever seen of calling loads of people human garbage at the same time. I would applaud you, but human garbage is much more effective.

6. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, on websites like Encyclopedia Dramatica and 4chan (the asshole of the armpit of the internet), terms like "autist" have become generic insults along the same lines as "retard" and "faggot".

7. Simple Thoughts

I'm a furry...yes, I've heard autism used as an insult online.

It's quickly becoming a stereotype for the furry community alongside weird kinky fursuit sex.

8. Asdf333

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's sad seeing how so much ignorance is spread that way... Isn't there anything that can be done about it?

Also I find it so ironic when someone calls me an autistic furry, as this "unfortunately for the case" really applies to me xP

9. The Wallflower

People are idiots.

It's not nice to have autism. Please, just don't use it as an insult. Otherwise, you're a heartless monster and you deserve the -you guessed it- cardboard box of shame.

10. Simple Thoughts

*gives a hug* autism or no you're always welcome in the fandom and I'd happily be your friend =3

Back on topic.

Yeah I've seen it a few times in our fandom be brought up, but I found a great video where someone not a furry really gives a fair breakdown and defense of our fandom. :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhDHx6Cisdg

11. Emmanuella

-_-

What is the world coming to. Why am I even online. How ignorant and insensitive of people!

12. thewolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm autistic, it's not so bad. People are just ignorant. If the dude majored in Psychology, he's obviously dumb at it. I wouldn't call ASD alone bad in itself.

(Autism can be bad, but not just by being Autism; it depends on the symptoms and severity.)

#12 thewolf, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  13. Asdf333

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hehe x3 /me huggles SimpleThoughts as tight as possible~

It's not a problem for me at all though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It's not what's said that bothers me, rather than the fact of something like that having been said. After all it reflects major parts of the personality of the one who said these things.

And aye, such personalities, especially if they're rather famous, contribute a lot to the development of enlightenment.

A famous German actor though has recently stood up against racism and was then attacked by a large amount of "fans" for being such an asshole to Germany's own citizens, which made me worry a lot about the condition of our society.

14. Formality

Wow, I've actually never heard anyone use that as an insult afk or online. I didn't think people could sink that low tbh.

15. Simple Thoughts

The thing about activism is that the first people brave enough to stand up usually aren't given a parade or shown any respect. They are attacked, ran out of towns, or worse. Still they inspire others to stand up as well and they in turn inspire yet more people to stand up and eventually there are too many people standing up to be silenced by threats of violence.

I don't let insults bother me either, there are too many good people around to let stupid internet trolls get me down.

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

That's sooo Baptist.

Two can play this game.

17. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As someone who has an Aspie in the family that is also anxiety-riddled, these people make me sick. To borrow a southern phrase:"Kiss my grits."

18. Asdf333

Out Status:
    A few people
    @biguy8 Aww, I'm really sorry to hear that. He/She/etc. can be really happy though to have such an understanding and caring family though :slight_smile:

19. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's gotten so bad that it's to the point where it's like people don't even know what autistic means.
    Aren't autistic people supposed to be super smart anyways?

20. Asdf333

Out Status:
    A few people
    @DanDan Not quite. There are multiple types of autism. I for example have Asperger's syndrome. It is basically a very mild form of autism and people who have that have an increased chance of becoming hyper-intelligent.